Selecting Kohli in 2008 cost me my job - Vengsarkar

"Virat opened the innings against West Indies who had a few Test cricketers in their ranks, but we had none and in that match, Virat scored 123 not out. I felt that we should play this guy in the Indian team. I felt this was an ideal situation to include Kohli in the squad. Although the other four selectors agreed with my decision, Gary Kirsten and MS Dhoni were reluctant"

Describing why the debate between Badrinath and Kohli occurred, the 61-year-old said, “I knew that they were keen on keeping S Badrinath in the team because he was a Chennai Super Kings player. If Kohli would have come in, Badrinath would have been dropped. N Srinivasan was the BCCI treasurer at that time. He was upset that Badrinath was dropped because he was their player.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/ms-dhoni-gary-kirsten-were-reluctant-to-include-virat-kohli-in-indian-team-in-2008-dilip-vengsarkar/

Edited by Number
2 hours ago, Number said:

Describing why the debate between Badrinath and Kohli occurred, the 61-year-old said, “I knew that they were keen on keeping S Badrinath in the team because he was a Chennai Super Kings player. If Kohli would have come in, Badrinath would have been dropped. N Srinivasan was the BCCI treasurer at that time. He was upset that Badrinath was dropped because he was their player.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/ms-dhoni-gary-kirsten-were-reluctant-to-include-virat-kohli-in-indian-team-in-2008-dilip-vengsarkar/

Looking back more than Dhoni, Srinivasan's role in this saga is murky.. 

Even if its true Badri was one of the start performers at that point in domestic , IIRC he was averaging close to 60 at one point ..so what exactly is wrong with giving him a few chances ? 

This is like today giving Mayank Agarwal a chance over shubnam gill , 10 years later just like the above case this may seem like a very bad call if Agwarwal fails and Shubnam turns out to be the next big thing .

22 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Even if its true Badri was one of the start performers at that point in domestic , IIRC he was averaging close to 60 at one point ..so what exactly is wrong with giving him a few chances ? 

This is like today giving Mayank Agarwal a chance over shubnam gill , 10 years later just like the above case this may seem like a very bad call if Agwarwal fails and Shubnam turns out to be the next big thing .

Nothing wrong... its like we are upset with giving more chances to Rohit Sharma than Rahane

Badrtinath had few issues, was a strokeless wonder who looked good at. Domestics but compketely out of place in Int cricket, he was selfish in his approach n not a team man also reason for that could be he had debuted at a older age n was scared to loose his place.

Dilip Vengsarkar believes he paid a hefty price - his job as chairman of selectors - for selecting a young Virat Kohli, Under-19 World Cup winner, ahead of S Badrinath, domestic stalwart, back in 2008. At an event to felicitate sports journalists, Vengsarkar accused N Srinivasan, the then BCCI treasurer, and then captain MS Dhoni of favouring the Chennai Super Kings and Tamil Nadu player Badrinath.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22685033/selecting-virat-kohli-2008-cost-my-job-dilip-vengsarkar

It's about time someone spoke against the crook Srinivasan and his damad. 

Been shouting about this for years. Even cited supporting evidence from Amarnath but his testimony was unfairly discredited by CSK chamchas. No doubt chamchas will be out to discredit another legend of Indian cricket, in the name of protecting brand value. lol at Dhoni chamchas for trying to give Dhoni credit for bringing Kohli into the side and nurturing him.