Selecting Kohli in 2008 cost me my job - Vengsarkar

"India Cements" lobby out in full force to defend Srini Mama on this thread.   Because "Mumbai Lobby" had the audacity to back a boy wonder from Delhi.  

Srini mama had no business interfering in selection - regardless of the merits of a Badri or a Kohli.  It was Vengsarkar's job to make selection calls.  Srini acted like a mafia gangster in ousting the Colonel.   

VK has mentioned in the past that it was Vengsarkar who "liked" his batting and pushed for his selection.   

Edited by sandeep
3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

"India Cements" lobby out in full force to defend Srini Mama on this thread.   Because "Mumbai Lobby" had the audacity to back a boy wonder from Delhi.  

Srini mama had no business interfering in selection - regardless of the merits of a Badri or a Kohli.  It was Vengsarkar's job to make selection calls.  Srini acted like a mafia gangster in ousting the Colonel.   

VK has mentioned in the past that it was Vengsarkar who "liked" his batting and pushed for his selection.   

Can't expect anything from those csk chamchas. Some of them still defend meyeppan. 

Speaking at a function in Mumbai on Wednesday, Vengsarkar told journalists that his insistence that a teenaged Kohli - who had led India Under-19s to the junior World Cup in 2008 - be added to India’s ODI squad for the tour of Sri Lanka that year was what forced Srinivasan to end his tenure as chief selector. According to Vengsarkar, when the selection committee met to pick the Test and ODI squads for the Sri Lanka tour, he was very keen to hand Kohli a debut in the ODIs but that then captain MS Dhoni and coach Gary Kirsten were not convinced.

"I felt this was an ideal situation to include Kohli in the squad. Although the other four selectors agreed with my decision, Gary Kirsten and MS Dhoni were reluctant as they had not seen much of Kohli. I told them that I have seen him and we have to include him in the team,” said Vengsarkar. “I knew that they were keen on keeping S Badrinath in the team because he was a Chennai Super Kings player. If Kohli would have come in, Badrinath would have been dropped. N Srinivasan was the BCCI treasurer at that time. He was upset that Badrinath was dropped because he was their player.”

Badrinath made his ODI debut in the second ODI of the 2008 Sri Lanka tour and played the three matches, with scores of 27*, 6 and 6. Kohli also made his debut in the first ODI and played all five matches, scoring 12, 37, 25, 54 and 31.

"He [Srinivasan] asked me on what basis Badrinath was axed, and I explained that I had been on the Emerging Players tour to Australia where I saw Virat, who is an exceptional player and that is why he is in the team. He argued that Badrinath has scored over 800 runs for Tamil Nadu. I told him that he will get his chance. He then asked, 'When will he get his chance? He is already 29 now'. I told him he will get his chance but I can't tell you when. The very next day, he (Srinivasan) took (Kris) Srikkanth, who later succeeded Vengasarkar as chief selector, to Sharad Pawar, who was the (BCCI) president then and that was the end of my selection tenure," Vengsarkar said.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/news/backing-of-virat-kohli-in-2008-led-to-my-removal-as-chief-selector-dilip-vengsarkar/articleshow/63213191.cms

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

No bigger scumbag in Indian cricket than MSD since Azhar.

I think you are too harsh on MSD!!! I will definitely appreciate his move to drop the senior players right ahead of CB series in Australia in 2008. If not for his bold moves, we will not have a Rohit Sharma or another youngster getting so many chances. 

Azhar is a serial fixer who sold not one or two but many many matches of team INDIA. A real disgrace for Indian cricket (in terms of ethics.).... and yet he had the nerve to defend himself shamelessly in his movie "Azhar". On the other hand, MSD's movie is inspirational to the Indian youth!

5 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Even if its true Badri was one of the start performers at that point in domestic , IIRC he was averaging close to 60 at one point ..so what exactly is wrong with giving him a few chances ? 

This is like today giving Mayank Agarwal a chance over shubnam gill , 10 years later just like the above case this may seem like a very bad call if Agwarwal fails and Shubnam turns out to be the next big thing .

What's wrong is a BCCI president interfering in Selection.  Judgement calls were the job of Selectors not Srini Mama.  

4 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Badri who has a FC average of 54 , played  2 tests , 7 ODIs and 1 T20 for India .

Batsman over FC avg of 54 are dime a dozen in domestic cricket... Having said that I believe that he did not capitalize on the chances and at one point most of us were hoping he would be a replacement for RD/VVS/SRT.. Alas, it would not be so

39 minutes ago, sandeep said:

What's wrong is a BCCI president interfering in Selection.  Judgement calls were the job of Selectors not Srini Mama.  

Mama is omnipresent, omniscient, etc. Hence His judgment is the only the one that matters.

Vengsarkar is asolutely spot on w.r.t  one of the basic 'dont's' that  have always been the curse of Indian cricket.A politician or somebody  who do not know the abcd of the game  like Sreenivasan must not  interfere in selection policies.Selectors should always be ex players or some others who  are experts with regard to technique, talent etc etc.  

6 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Even if its true Badri was one of the start performers at that point in domestic , IIRC he was averaging close to 60 at one point ..so what exactly is wrong with giving him a few chances ? 

This is like today giving Mayank Agarwal a chance over shubnam gill , 10 years later just like the above case this may seem like a very bad call if Agwarwal fails and Shubnam turns out to be the next big thing .

its an other 'kar' talking. Most of them only know politicking and cant think of anything else.

1 minute ago, velu said:

dhonis mistake was giving too many chances to Rohit to establosh himelf in the test team than fw chances to badri .. 

Badrinath played 1 t20I ( scored 43 on that) and 3 Odis after he was sacked :cantstop: while virat got many opportunities.

http://www.financialexpress.com/sports/mahendra-singh-dhoni-saved-me-from-getting-dropped-many-times-virat-kohli/499777/

His story doesn't add up.. 

15 minutes ago, Vilander said:

its an other 'kar' talking. Most of them only know politicking and cant think of anything else.

You should be ashamed of such prejudice.  If instead of Kohli it was some young batsman from Bombay, no doubt you would have been leading the wave of attacks on "mumbai lobby".

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You should be ashamed of such prejudice.  If instead of Kohli it was some young batsman from Bombay, no doubt you would have been leading the wave of attacks on "mumbai lobby".

for sure if its fair. found many skunks from Mumbai, would not bat an eyelid.

Edited by Vilander
1 hour ago, sandeep said:

looks like i am not the only one with prejudice.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

"India " lobby out in full force to defend Srini Mama on this thread.   Because "Mumbai Lobby" had the audacity to lie about backing a boy wonder from Delhi. 

corrected :biggrin:

besides no one agrees there is any lobby behind India cements...lolz

but you seem to agree there is a 'mumbai lobby' and it backs certain players they like and not others - i feel vindicated thanks.