Need variations to play with a batsman's mind: Unadkat

On a pitch where the ball has been coming onto the bat well, using variations becomes imperative, and Jaydev Unadkat, whose T20 stocks have been on the constant rise, knows it well. "Variations are the most important part of the game. To play with batsman's mind, you need variations. When the batsman is expecting something and you do it differently, you are [then] successful as a bowler," Unadkat said on Sunday (March 11), on the eve of the match against Sri Lanka. "The wicket looks very good from batting from ball one. I haven't played here before in limited-overs cricket. Ball is coming on nicely, there's good bounce and that gives batsmen the freedom to go from ball one. Variations is not just about bowling different balls, it is important to vary the lengths. Not allowing them to premeditate a shot."

Unadkat himself was on the costlier side in both the contests, conceding 35 and 38 runs respectively. However, he believes that the entire bowling unit fared better in the second game and should only get better from here on. The 26-year-old, who recently became the costliest Indian player in the 2018 IPL, being bought for 11.5 crore by Rajasthan Royals, also mentioned how thinking ahead of the batsmen is all the more important in the shortest format of the game, and reading the conditions and designing plans best suited for it, is the key.

"It [cutters] suits my plan, if the wicket is suitable for that, I will do that. Cutters are only useful when the batsman doesn't expect. So if the wicket is spicing up a bit, if I see the wicket is gripping a bit, definitely then that's the way to go. That has been my strength in this format of the game in the past couple of years, I have always banked on that," the left-armer added.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/100897/nidahas-trophy-2018-need-variations-to-play-with-a-batsmans-mind-india-cricket-team-pacer-jaydev-unadkat

Unadkat seems to be coming off age in the last few months. Is he entering his peak? Some interesting insights.

5 hours ago, putrevus said:

I am still baffled on how this guy got selected for that Centurion test match ahead of Umesh Yadav. What were Dhoni and all other seniors including Sachin along with Gary Kirsten saw in him in nets to commit such a travesty.

Zak paaji was injured so they needed another left arm quick to add variety to the attack, Sreesanth swinging it away and Unadkutter nipping the ball back in. 

2 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Zak paaji was injured so they needed another left arm quick to add variety to the attack, Sreesanth swinging it away and Unadkutter nipping the ball back in. 

But there is something called talent and ability. This guy has none of those as he showcased them so wonderfully then and still doing it.Don't know how the hell IPL teams have paid such a ransom to him either.