Rabada suspended for two tests after code of conduct breach

http://www.espncricinfo.com/thestands/content/story/1139998.html 

Kagiso Rabada has been suspended for two Test matches, after he was found guilty of a level 2 code of conduct offence in Port Elizabeth. The incident took place on Friday when the Soutn African fast bowler made physical contact with outgoing batsman Steven Smith.

Rabada received three demerit points, taking his total eight within the last 24 months. According to the ICC's rules, that activates a two-Test ban, meaning the Man of the Match from St George's Park will not be in action at Newlands in a week's time, or in Johannesburg on March 30. South Africa have 48 hours to appeal the decision.

"I found that there was contact between Rabada and Smith," the match referee Jeff Crowe said. "And in my judgement the contact by Rabada was inappropriate, and deliberate. He had the opportunity to avoid the contact, and I could not see any evidence to support the argument that the contact was accidental.

"It is also disappointing that this has happened the day after the pre-match meeting I had with both teams, where the importance of respect for opponents was highlighted.

"I take no pleasure in seeing a player suspended, particularly a young player of Kagiso's talent, but he has now breached the ICC Code of Conduct on a number of occasions."

There had been another disciplinary charge hanging over Rabada on Monday: after bowling a peach to dismiss David Warner on Sunday, he indulged in a send-off. The ICC handed him another demerit point for that, which means he is be on the threshold of 12 points. Twelve demerit points equate to six suspension points, meaning he might miss at least three Test matches.

Edited by Turning_track
2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

He is a repeat offender, plus being a non-white, is sure to get penalized. David Warner needs to be banned for a test at least for pulling that stunt outside the field. White players get a slap on the wrist, look at Stokes, who is another rabid offender.

This suspension will make so many whites cry if Phelukwayo replace him

This is how test cricket dies. A potentially great series is basically killed right here. I don't want to argue whether Rabada was unjustly punished or not. IMO he was pretty stupid to fall into this trap after fair bit of warning. Aussies were actually vocal about trying to get him suspended as he was sitting on so many demerit points. His captain and himself should have been smarter about this. 

But the demerit points is going to be another unfair system against bowlers. They are the ones who are on camera all the time they are in action. Batsman is not likely to be mouthing off so much and wicket celebrations are many times very spontaneous and young bowlers who have not adjusted to the laws and top level scrutiny are likely to get punished lot more. Fielders can just jibe and taunt in between overs and slyly when no camera is on them in a planned manner. In law the crime of passion is given lower punishment generally than a pre-meditated one. In this case it is the opposite. 

The excitement level.is gone.  Me as a fan would like to see test cricket played tough with some.drama. I don't want to go to a stadium and see a bowler act like a priest when taking a wicket. I won't be going to the last test match. Il just catch the score. Well done ICC,  you just made a fan stay away.from.a match

2 minutes ago, prinzo said:

The excitement level.is gone.  Me as a fan would like to see test cricket played tough with some.drama. I don't want to go to a stadium and see a bowler act like a priest when taking a wicket. I won't be going to the last test match. Il just catch the score. Well done ICC,  you just made a fan stay away.from.a match

The excitement of bowler against batsman , of ball against bat ., Mind against mind , that's what cricket is about . For what you are looking for as a way of excitement I suggest you go to watch boxing .

6 hours ago, prinzo said:

Physical contact is bad. He should be banned just for that.  Send off we’re fine but now there are rules.