Washington Sundar will be selected for 2019 World Cup

I know he's only played against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh (however playing spin bowling is their strength) in his limited career so far, but have been very impressed by his temperament, his ability to anticipate what the batsmen is trying to do and his skill to execute the intended delivery. Heard his batting is good too, if so, he could become our wild card pick come 2019 World Cup. I know Chahal and Kuldeep are our attacking options overseas but I feel on rain affected games, they can be a huge liability as control for leg spinners with a wet ball can be a major issue. With Sundar's simple and repeatable action, I reckon he can even maintain his skill during rain affected games as he did the other night with dew on the ball (when Chahal was struggling). Jadeja's bowling I feel is ineffective in ODIs and Ashwin's fielding is a liability. Either way, the more competition for spots the better. 

Really impressed with his bowling,he's athletic and fields well.He is a hitter with the willow in hand so

perfect man to bat at 7,8.I agree with OP he should be selected and probably he'll get selected.He

along with Pandya can give us immense depth.

Dhawan

Rohit

Kohli (C)

Pandey

Dhoni (Wk)

Raina

Pandya

Sundar

BK

Kuldeep

Bumrah

Reserves:- Rahul, DK, Chahal/Axar, best available seamer at that time.

That's my squad of 15.

I really like the look of this line up. Dhoni is sure to play till WC19. Only decent option

or back up option is DK. He proved he's ahead of Pant atm.

He is so effective because of the following:

1. he is tall and bowls with a high arm action and so gets a lot of flight and dip, something modern off spinners tend to lack 

2. he's capable of bowling quick Yorkers when batsmen are looking to get after him

3. he has control over the degree of turn he want in a given delivery, also has a well disguised straight ball which he bowls at an angle and so it behaves like a doosra 

4. is very accurate and tends to attack the stumps

5. knows what delivery to bowl as he has good sense of where batsmen trying to hit him 

early days yet, I remember Axar Patel was unplayable first season of IPL and then he got sussed out. I'm hoping Washington goes from strength to strength. 

1 hour ago, diga said:

Has he played any Odis? He may ply the next t20 world cup. Being in RCB will help

yes...and he was pretty poor...

He doesn't turn the ball much and he was found wanting in the ODI's....

from what i could see, he will be effective, if batsmen go after him else he will be a economical bowler at best

A v good article on his background. His dad named him after his mentor ex Army man PD Washington . Quite an inspiring cricketer with a humble background. He was not selected for U-19 WC, but was encouraged to play domestics by the National Coach (you know who). Domestic cricket experience is still the only way for national selection. Proves that It is is still very good model.  U-19 heroes shouldn't fast tracked, they should play a season or two of domestics, faring against National team drop-outs. 

http://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/sports-news/nidahas-trophy-2018-washington-sundar-proves-he-is-no-ordinary-talent-with-superlative-show-against-bangladesh-4391831.html

That Ranji debut was an important milestone for the family for he had accomplished what his father had only dreamt of. His father, M Sundar, was a good all-rounder in the TNCA League and had made it to the Tamil Nadu Ranji probables, but never into the playing eleven. Thus the father, who had a big hand in coaching the son, vicariously enjoyed the latter’s Ranji Trophy debut.

Sundar’s father, who hailed from a very poor family in Chennai, was fortunate that his childhood cricket-playing exploits on Triplicane beach had caught the eyes of PD Washington, an ex-army man who lived in the same locality.

The soldier liked what he saw and took it upon himself to fund the boy’s schooling and cricket. He lived to see his ward play good league cricket and make it to the state team’s Ranji Trophy probables. However, he passed away in 1999. Subsequently, when M Sundar and his wife were blessed with a child, they named him Washington in memory of the mentor.

Washington Sundar, who was coached by former TN batsman M Senthilnathan, soon registered his first century in first class cricket: 159 vs Tripura in Ranji Trophy.

By then he was already making waves with his bowling. He dismissed Steve Smith and Glenn Maxwell while giving away 23 runs in his eight overs for Board President’s XI against the visiting Australian team.

Edited by coffee_rules
On 14/03/2018 at 6:35 PM, Sgattick10 said:

I'll pick him ahead of Chahal, this 18 year old lad has bigger brain and doesnt get flustered. 

And the most stupid post of 2018 

chahal has been revelation for us in white ball cricket . Proved it against proper string teams and in sa 

Washington based on some games v 2 worse teams in world cricket in ahead of him jeeez 

30 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

This kinds of series scare me . Could end up with some duds for wc cos impressed v crap team 

manish pandey scoring runs is classic example 

Chill dude, Same logic doesn't necessarily apply to spin bowlers in this tourney. 

Sri Lankan's (3-0 victory at home vs Aus in tests) and Bangladeshis (1-1 draw at home to England and Australia in tests) are solid players of spin. Therefore this counts as a decent performance. Added to the fact the wickets have been very flat.  In 2009 when Bangladesh played England home and away, Tamil Iqbal destroyed Graeme Swann (during his peak years). Sundar cleaned him up the other night when he was looking to go after him, so let's not diminish these performances. 

Backing him is not solely based on these performances alone. He did well in IPL last year (including the final) and got the wickets of Steve Smith and Maxwell during a BPXI game. He's also done well in Ranji. He's also regarded as one of the stars of his cohort in the domestic scene so early signs are good

8 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Chill dude, Same logic doesn't necessarily apply to spin bowlers in this tourney. 

Sri Lankan's (3-0 victory at home vs Aus in tests) and Bangladeshis (1-1 draw at home to England and Australia in tests) are solid players of spin. Therefore this counts as a decent performance. Added to the fact the wickets have been very flat.  In 2009 when Bangladesh played England home and away, Tamil Iqbal destroyed Graeme Swann (during his peak years). Sundar cleaned him up the other night when he was looking to go after him, so let's not diminish these performances. 

Backing him is not solely based on these performances alone. He did well in IPL last year (including the final) and got the wickets of Steve Smith and Maxwell during a BPXI game. He's also done well in Ranji. He's also regarded as one of the stars of his cohort in the domestic scene so early signs are good

Absolutely true. If you go back to CT match against Srilanka they played our spinners with ridiculous ease.