Sign in to follow this  
Trichromatic

Rabada's ban overturned, cleared to play in Cape Town

Rabada not guilty of Level 2 offence but guilty of conduct contrary to the spirit of the game

South Africa paceman allowed to play international cricket with immediate effect, available for selection for Newlands Test against Australia.

South Africa bowler Kagiso Rabada has been found not guilty of the charge of making inappropriate and deliberate physical contact with a player following a hearing before the Right Honourable Michael Heron QC yesterday.

Rabada was, however, found guilty of conduct that is contrary to the spirit of the game, an offence under Article 2.1.1 of the Code. As such Mr Heron imposed a sanction of a fine of 25% of his match fee and one demerit point. This brings the player’s demerit points to a cumulated total of 7 and he is free to play with immediate effect.

In his summary, Mr Heron outlined his findings:

“The key issue is whether Mr Rabada made ‘inappropriate and deliberate physical contact’ with Mr Smith. I am not ‘comfortably satisfied’ that Mr Rabada intended to make contact and I therefore find him not guilty of the charge under 2.2.7.

“I am entitled, however, to consider whether the conduct involved constitutes a lower level offence. I consider the conduct was inappropriate, lacked respect for his fellow player and involved non-deliberate and minor contact. The actions contravened the principle that a dismissed batsman should be left alone.

“I consider a penalty of the imposition of a fine of 25% of the applicable match fee to be the appropriate penalty for the breach of Article 2.1.1. As a consequence, 1 demerit point accrues. Mr. Rabada will be well aware of the consequences of any further breaches of the code.”

ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said: "The ICC wholly accepts today’s decision and I would like to thank Mr. Heron for overseeing the hearing in a short time frame before the next Test starts in South Africa.

“This is perhaps an opportune moment to remind all players of their responsibilities to maintaining a standard of behaviour which sets a good example to players at all levels of the game, especially the young players. We want to see the game played with skill, passion and respect for the opposition, the match officials and the laws.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/648345

Great day for cricket. Wanna see faces of Aussies who thought they were clever getting him banned. It was nonsense to equate Rabadas shirt brush with the same number of demerit points as Warners near punch up. That decision had racism or stupidity written all over it. 

Edited by mancalledsting

Every wicket rabada get against Australia will be sweet. BTW, sonny bill. Williams and Warner were staying at same hotel in cpt. SBW CAME FOR A RUGBY MATCH 

I don’t necessarily agree with the overturning of the ban, but it’s worth it for all the melts from Aussie supporters. :phehe:

Edited by Chalks

Now there is life in the series...
To start with ICC was too harsh on rabada...
If he has to be banned, then every Australian player should be banned for their behaviour in general

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Rabada's contact was as unintentional as Smith's, so, why only Rabada was singled out and not Smith. 

Rabada initiated the contact.

You can see in the replay he moved his shoulder to make contact.

That is not an unintentional act. He has form in this area.

I believe a big part of Rabada's defense was based on past incidents, one particular one involving Australia and England, etc. In those incidences the players got off with basically a slap on the wrist. So there defense was based on inconsistent application of the rule book, and that is what reduced the penalty for Rabada. 

Apparently the lawyer did bring up a lot of cases where the "big 3" got off with lesser punishments than the rest of the member countries for similar offenses.

And in the end SA asked that the rule book should be made more clearly and that the ICC should simplify the way penalties are given and find a way to make judgement more even between all playing countries.

If ever I need a lawyer in future... i want to have this lawyer :adore:

Well their past decisions already came back to bite them in the ass, seems they had little choice to reduce the penalty after the past was brought up.

I think they definitely have to follow the route of what is done in Rugby with disciplinary hearings, where an independent disciplinary council does the hearings. And the rules and disciplinary steps need to be made more clear on what actions will get what punishments. In rugby you find that most fines/bans given out are much more aligned so there are rarely debates on whether the punishments fit the crime. I think the current ICC rules are very vague and can be interpreted in too many ways.

2 hours ago, Doctored Wicket said:

Rabada initiated the contact.

You can see in the replay he moved his shoulder to make contact.

That is not an unintentional act. He has form in this area.

i have seen the video and he did not move anything. he just kept walking like Smith kept walking too. Both were not vary until the contact happened.