Wild Wild Country on Netflix

maniac

Wow just wow...one of the greatest documentaries I have ever seen.

Firstly I knew very little of Osho/Rajneesh before this.

I saw couple of pictures of him here and there  growing up in India and always thought of him as just another run of the mill baba/spiritual guru like the millions we already have in India

I obviously did hear a couple of snippets of his speeches via WhatsApp forwards etc especially the most famous one where he speaks about the word “fk”

However, watching the documentary I was totally blown away by the fact how big his influence was in the USA and how big of a controversy/conflict it became there in the early 80’s....Infact even  reading articles online, no one seems to have heard of this incredible story that is shown via Netflix until now despite all the press it seemed to received back then.

Also the best part of the documentary was it shows both sides, especially the conservative people in USA who were paranoid/apprehensive about him and it totally makes sense from

their perspective as well. It doesn’t tell a story from one perspective.

You just can’t pick sides here.

Also incredible is how relevant this story is in the year 2018.

This was just added on Netflix so I am assuming most of you might not have watched it ,so not going into spoilers.

An absolute must watch....watch it and we can discuss...be prepared to have your mind blown.

Edited by maniac

On 3/22/2018 at 7:26 PM, maniac said:

Wow just wow...one of the greatest documentaries I have ever seen.

Firstly I knew very little of Osho/Rajneesh before this.

I saw couple of pictures of him here and there  growing up in India and always thought of him as just another run of the mill baba/spiritual guru like the millions we already have in India

I obviously did hear a couple of snippets of his speeches via WhatsApp forwards etc especially the most famous one where he speaks about the word “fk”

However, watching the documentary I was totally blown away by the fact how big his influence was in the USA and how big of a controversy/conflict it became there in the early 80’s....Infact even  reading articles online, no one seems to have heard of this incredible story that is shown via Netflix until now despite all the press it seemed to received back then.

Also the best part of the documentary was it shows both sides, especially the conservative people in USA who were paranoid/apprehensive about him and it totally makes sense from

their perspective as well. It doesn’t tell a story from one perspective.

You just can’t pick sides here.

Also incredible is how relevant this story is in the year 2018.

This was just added on Netflix so I am assuming most of you might not have watched it ,so not going into spoilers.

An absolute must watch....watch it and we can discuss...be prepared to have your mind blown.

Not sure if it's available in the great north.. Fn depressed with flix after they were forced to detect proxies.. 

12 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Not sure if it's available in the great north.. Fn depressed with flix after they were forced to detect proxies.. 

I went to Toronto last year to visit family and I was surprised  that the Canada Netflix had a lot more newer movies compared to what we get in the USA  which I am told  because of all the licensing issues in the USA...may be US gets priority with original content :dontknow:

Anyways watch it when it is available...fantastic show

6 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Its really good. It’s crazy times. Of all the places in the world,they thought Oregon was the place to go. 

That is probably because of a lot more space available in the USA and being comparatively more immigrant friendly( ironical considering the  content of this documentary ) compared to Aus,Nzl etc which were probably just a shade better versions of South Africa in the early 80s.

Canada obviously because of the weather but yeah I don’t think Oregon has such pleasant weather either.

Also as you saw in the documentary, it is easier to work around and find loopholes in the American law be it immigrantion or politics which a lot of immigrants do to this day.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

I went to Toronto last year to visit family and I was surprised  that the Canada Netflix had a lot more newer movies compared to what we get in the USA  which I am told  because of all the licensing issues in the USA...may be US gets priority with original content :dontknow:

Anyways watch it when it is available...fantastic show

Lol did not know that.  Actually Netflix was acting as of they did not know about the proxy thing allowing everyone to watch what ever they wanted but we're forced to detect. It's pretty irritating but yeah there are a few new movies that come soon this side guess they still have other market options in the states still. 

just finished binge watching it...

Awesome documentary... could have shown more on why did he have so much crazy following...but nevertheless this is one of the best documentaries...Thanks Maniac

Had not read about OSHO earlier...just heard about his thing in passing here n there...but never heard about this oregan chapter before....

Fk...Sheela has to be the biggest badass woman ever...

Gotta read more on him and their history now...

Yesterday I binge watched this documentary. It was great as I expected, really wish someone from India had the courage to show the other side of these spiritual gurus on the big screen. Really loved the POV from all sides as @maniac mentioned. Kudos to the makers.
To all those who don't know, many bigwigs who did't believe in the traditional view of marriage & sex were Osho's bhakts. Eg: Mahesh Bhatt, Parveen Babi & the biggest of 'em all Vinod Khanna. During the weekends, Vinod Khanna used to leave the shooting schedule & stay in Poona's Ashram which continued for many years. He left the film industry temporarily as well & went to Oregon to stay with his spiritual guru while working as a gardener, sweeper etc. in his ranch. 

4 hours ago, Shunya said:

just finished binge watching it...

Awesome documentary... could have shown more on why did he have so much crazy following...but nevertheless this is one of the best documentaries...Thanks Maniac

Had not read about OSHO earlier...just heard about his thing in passing here n there...but never heard about this oregan chapter before....

Fk...Sheela has to be the biggest badass woman ever...

Gotta read more on him and their history now...

Yeah to be honest, I can seen people

getting mesmerized by Sheela than Osho lol...the lady is a total badass :hatsoff: 

Also the surprising part was this story was suppressed all these years despite being the largest Bio terrorist attack as well as the largest organized immigration fraud in the history of the United States.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

Yeah to be honest, I can seen people

getting mesmerized by Sheela than Osho lol...the lady is a total badass :hatsoff: 

Also the surprising part was this story was suppressed all these years despite being the largest Bio terrorist attack as well as the largest organized immigration fraud in the history of the United States.

But that badass thing only came due to the following Osho had and the money that was coming. She knew how to use that money and the power.  She was least interested in spirituality and meditation. She loved the power and the money.  Osho certainly had something about him. 

Some excerpt from Wiki. "The German philosopher Peter Sloterdijk has called Rajneesh a "Wittgenstein of religions", ranking him as one of the greatest figures of the 20th century; in his view, Rajneesh had performed a radical deconstruction of the word games played by the world's religions"         

"Frances FitzGerald concluded upon listening to Rajneesh in person that he was a brilliant lecturer, and expressed surprise at his talent as a comedian, which had not been apparent from reading his books, as well as the hypnotic quality of his talks, which had a profound effect on his audience ."

Susan J. Palmer noted that even critics attested to the power of his presence.[230] James S. Gordon, a psychiatrist and researcher, recalls inexplicably finding himself laughing like a child, hugging strangers and having tears of gratitude in his eyes after a glance by Rajneesh from within his passing Rolls-Royce.

Hugh Milne (Swami Shivamurti), an ex-devotee who between 1973 and 1982 worked closely with Rajneesh as leader of the Poona Ashram Guard[234] and as his personal bodyguard,[235][236] noted that their first meeting left him with a sense that far more than words had passed between them: "There is no invasion of privacy, no alarm, but it is as if his soul is slowly slipping inside mine, and in a split second transferring vital information."

Writing in the Seattle Post Intelligencer in January 1990, American author Tom Robbins stated that based on his readings of Rajneesh's books, he was convinced Rajneesh was the 20th century's "greatest spiritual teacher". Robbins, while stressing that he was not a disciple, further stated that he had "read enough vicious propaganda and slanted reports to suspect that he was one of the most maligned figures in history".[243] Rajneesh's commentary on the Sikh scripture known as Japuji was hailed as the best available by Giani Zail Singh, the former President of India.[201]

Edited by rkt.india

On 3/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, Vilander said:

Lol did not know that.  Actually Netflix was acting as of they did not know about the proxy thing allowing everyone to watch what ever they wanted but we're forced to detect. It's pretty irritating but yeah there are a few new movies that come soon this side guess they still have other market options in the states still. 

I don't understand what you are saying. What is the problem with proxy thing? How does it affect us now?

I have heard Osho extensively from past few years (youtube is flooded with his vids,  the videos are the best gift to humanity). I think he is the greatest human being to have walked this planet. A Lot of what he says (for eg. the worldly stuff) imo is BS which one has to be aware of. But a lot of it is the truth which is relevant to us. I also think that one has to avoid over-watching his vids coz they can be addictive and also, they can be harmful for the social life... But in your heart, remember his teachings(ones which you think are correct) and Watch videos occasionally if you feel like ... 

Edited by randomGuy

On 3/30/2018 at 9:54 PM, randomGuy said:

I have heard Osho extensively from past few years (youtube is flooded with his vids,  the videos are the best gift to humanity). I think he is the greatest human being to have walked this planet. A Lot of what he says (for eg. the worldly stuff) imo is BS which one has to be aware of. But a lot of it is the truth which is relevant to us. I also think that one has to avoid over-watching his vids coz they can be addictive and also, they can be harmful for the social life... But in your heart, remember his teachings(ones which you think are correct) and Watch videos occasionally if you feel like ... 

How is he different from any other gurus? Asking very genuinely, would like to know what people think of him and why?

13 hours ago, Shunya said:

How is he different from any other gurus? Asking very genuinely, would like to know what people think of him and why?

I guess the genuine (means the actual brahma gyani)  gurus'  talks will revolve around meditation, take osho, swami vishwas, rajinder singh Ji maharaj ; I believe these to be genuine... Even if they talk something else, they will be talking about it only to link it to looking inwards (meditating)  in the end... For ex. Osho will be talking about 10 different seemingly unrelated things but crux of everything will be meditation... 

And perhaps the non-genuine ones such as asaram will be talking about morals, how you should behave,  Saas bahu topics that won't ultimately link to meditation. 

Plus the person who has attained nirvana will exude genuineness, peace etc. unlike the fake ones. 

This said, I am no expert... Would say tht the emphasis should be on self development rather than on ascertaining who is fake n who isn't when I myself haven't reached anywhere till now... 

Edited by randomGuy

1 hour ago, Shunya said:

I will say Osho is very different from most of the gurus we hear and keep hearing everyday. 

IMO, the most differentiating aspect of his teaching is non-adherence to any particular or any set of scriptures or doctrine(s). He repeatedly professes that truth is not to be found in any external books but be realized by oneself by one own efforts. In my opinion, that is the real purpose of all religions/meditation techniques etc., to help a person lead a peaceful, morally upright and happy life. Most of the gurus (even if non-controversial) have a tendency to not teach in a completely open minded way because they are afraid of loosing their followers/devotees if it goes against their existing belief systems etc. Osho is completely different in that way that he says those things that are true but a lot of people do not want to say being afraid of backlash. While most gurus talk about repression of desires as a path to salvation, Osho professes the opposite, i.e. expression of your inner being and letting it slowly realize and not stop it. (i.e. for e.g. he says sexual desire is not wrong, enjoy it and eventually and slowly overcome it than just forcefully repress it.)

One guru or teacher who is very similar in terms of teaching is Jiddu Krishnamurthi. JK is very rational and appeals to every commonsensical mind. You can see the non-adherence to existing belief systems in JK's teachings too. The difference between these two is however, Osho also expounds Bhakti sometimes along with meditation whereas JK completely admonishes the concept of God. Moreover, unlike Osho JK did not get involved in making controversial remarks on politicians or did not show any other kind of eccentricities that are attributed to Osho's following (such as this bioterror attack or group orgy (heard from someone but could be completely fake) etc.)

In summary, I will say it is good to read Osho's books or watch his videos and learn from it and apply it in your life. Do not follow him blindly (applicable for every guru) but try to get the gist of his teachings and try to implement it. He is far more practical than many (if not most) gurus of his time and after.