Match winning Indian performance that became toast of the nation

Dinesh Karthik was the toast of nation. Now Check your memory and share other instances where one player turns up and became talk of the nation. 

Some match i may not have watched. but i know the stories from all my senior friends.

1) Kapil Dev 5/19 at the MCG, 1980-81?  

India was all set to lose the match despite dubious pitch because Kapil dev was not well and he took some medicine and bowled. It was meagre 140 i think. That was a mighy Aussie side. After Ghavri, Doshi opened the gates, Kapil ran through Australian middle order in no time and India decimated them for 83 runs. Kapil was the toast of the nation. Front page news on all the news paper was about this.

2) Kapil dev 11 wickets and a fifty against Pakistan 1979?

At Chennai. He produced a breath taking all round performance and thoroughly beat the Imran Khan's strong side.  News papers wrote pages and pages about him. Kapil became a household name. I am not 100% sure Imran was in that side. 

3) Kapil Dev 175 , 1983 prudential cup

This probably cannot be overshadowed by any outstanding achievement  may be Laxman's 281 comes close. But this was phenomenal. Many went to movie when INdia was reduced to 80 odd for 7. Then when we opened the paper Hindu it read "Kapil Dev set Tunbridge wells Ablaze". We didn't understand that :) We double checked, triple checked that score card to make sure if was the right score. Phenomenal feeling. 

4) Mohinder Amarnath , 1983 final

No explanation. This dibbly dobbly bowler made 25 and took 3 for 12. In such a low scoring game that was very very crucial. Everybody went over the moon when he took the last wicket. 

.. we can add more 

Edited by vvvslaxman
1 minute ago, maniac said:

Some games missing -

Wc qf 2015,

WC knockout scenario vs South Africa 2007,

CT sf 2017,

historic series on the line game vs SA 2018, Sachin farewell game

Lords test 2014

Ct 2013 SF

Spell to Ricky Ponting

Our most recent memory about him is his bald faced lie lol

Robin Singh played many a match winning innings. Only the ones who followed cricket in 90' would know what a clutch player he was! There was Rajesh Chouhans last ball 6, then there was Sachins desert storm, there was Azharuddin's blisterning attack against Ataur rahman against Pakistan in Singer cup, Gangulys allround performance in toronto in 97 etc etc etc...

Yes. Sachin may have played great knocks , technically better knocks than his 143 at Sharjah. But none of his knock made the whole country talk about it like his 143.   Task was getting steep. My bro went to sleep. I was determined to finish the match. Then i woke my bro up.

From when I started to understand cricket and from what I recall:

* 1985 World Series win (as a team)

* 1986 tied test vs Aus, which we should hv won

* 1987 WC Gavaskar’s 100 vs NZ. Siddhu’s consistent performances and 6s 

* 1988 Hirwani’s 16 wkts vs WI

* 1989 Manjrekar’s performance in Pak

* 1989 Sachin’s debut

* 1994 Hero Cup over by Sachin vs SA

* 1996 Jadeja vs Waqar

* 1996 Srinath’s spell vs SA

* 1998 Tendulkar’s Desert Storm performances

* 1998 Kanitkar’s last ball 4

* 1999 Ganguly and Dravid’s performances vs SL

* 1999 Kumble’s 10-er

* 2000 onwards, there have been are a lot. Special mention: Lax-Dra partnership vs Aus, Sehwag’s epic performances in tests, Yuvi’s 6 6s, ....

Edited by zen

Sachin Titan cup semifinal against south Africa

Robin Singh 48 agaiNst Zimbabwe in Bulawayo

Srinath and jumble hitting partnership of 52 for 8th wkt against Australia. Unbelievable straight six by srinath.

Venkatesh prasad ball of century to admit sohail in wc qf

Kohli 150 odd against Sri Lanka chasing 300 odd in less than 40 overs

Pathan brothers finishing one match

Azhar toying with Lance klusener along with anil kumble(88).  He hit 5 consecutive fours in the test.

I used to be the 90s kid... So cannot recollect the recent ones. The other noteworthy ones have already been listed in the prior posts.