Steven Smith and Warner stood down as captain and vice-captain

Australia's leadership is under investigation by Cricket Australia's integrity unit for the ball tampering affair in Cape Town, as the chief executive James Sutherland declared further action will be taken against the national team beyond the ICC charge accepted by Cameron Bancroft.

With the CA chairman David Peever in transit home from South Africa, Sutherland chose not to travel to see the team himself, instead delegating the matter to the head of integrity, Iain Roy, and the team performance manager Pat Howard. The initiation of this "process" left Sutherland unable to offer anything beyond the conditional endorsement of Steven Smith as "current" captain of the national team.

Sutherland and Howard were central to the sacking of Mickey Arthur, predecessor to the current coach Darren Lehmann, ahead of the 2013 Ashes series.

"This morning [Australian cricket fans] have every reason to wake up and not be proud of the Australian team. It's a sad day for Australian cricket," Sutherland said in Melbourne. "Activities on the field yesterday in Cape Town are neither within the Laws of the game or within the spirit of the game. For us at Cricket Australia that's extremely disappointing but more importantly it's extremely disappointing for Australian cricket fans.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22901664/steven-smith-captaincy-hangs-thread-ca-launches-investigation

47 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

There was no choice. No one has got caught like this. He cannot hide behind the guy is playing his 8 th test. He did right thing. It will have consequences naturally. 

The production, and editing overall was phenomenal. From the shot of the sandpaper to Lehmann's face when he realised he had been busted,  to Handscomb surreptitiously on the walkie talkie to the slow and protracted stash of the evidence down your pants shot and then empty your pocket and show the umpire a different cloth. It told the story beautifully, and could not have been scripted that well.

Edited by GoldenSun

He will be removed from captaincy, I have no doubt about that. From my observation on social media, the whole country wants him removed. You can't ignore such strong public sentiment. In fact, the govt has asked CA to remove him as well. This will be his last test as Australia's captain, I don't think he expected such a massive response back home in Australia. Gotta give it to Aus public though, they have been strongly against Smith & Co. on this. 

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

There was no choice. No one has got caught like this. He cannot hide behind the guy is playing his 8 th test. He did right thing. It will have consequences naturally. 

At max, they would've suspended him for a match. I don't think it was worth the risk of losing your career. He underestimated the situation and thought their fans would just let it slip by. 

1 hour ago, zep1706 said:

He will be removed from captaincy, I have no doubt about that. From my observation on social media, the whole country wants him removed. You can't ignore such strong public sentiment. In fact, the govt has asked CA to remove him as well. This will be his last test as Australia's captain, I don't think he expected such a massive response back home in Australia. Gotta give it to Aus public though, they have been strongly against Smith & Co. on this. 

See he has doing something or other for quite sometime ...first his brain fade in India ,then Warner fighting and now this .