Smith, Warner could face life ban from CA

An ICC suspension from the final Test against South Africa may be just the start of sanctions for Australia's captain Steven Smith, who alongside his deputy David Warnerfaces anything up to a life ban for cheating under Cricket Australia's code of behaviour.

That investigation will likely feature interviews with Smith, Warner, Bancroft and the Australian coach Darren Lehmann, and will determine how many players and staff will be charged under the code of behaviour. Once Roy has recommended charges, a code of behaviour hearing would be held with an independent commissioner, who would then decide on the guilt or otherwise of the players and staff concerned and the penalties to be imposed.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22908218/steven-smith-david-warner-face-life-ban-ca

Wow! Didn't think that it can be so bad. 6 months ban, a year ban ok, but lifetime ban? If this happens this can become one hell of unprecented event in game of cricket.

7 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22908218/steven-smith-david-warner-face-life-ban-ca

Wow! Didn't think that it can be so bad. 6 months ban, a year ban ok, but lifetime ban? If this happens this can become one hell of unprecented event in game of cricket.

This is too extreme. I agree with you, 6 months to 1 year at most. i wonder if they are going to punish the coach as well. 

question for everyone, who deserves more blame here, coach or captain+vice captain? 

This not about just cricket in Australia , it's the shaming of a nation that loves the game of cricket not put cricketers on the level of god's . 

These cricketers involved in this have  shamed all sportsmen in Australia. 

To say Australians are upset is a big understatement, I think the public there are looking for an appropriate punishment by CA 

11 minutes ago, Moochad said:

This is too extreme. I agree with you, 6 months to 1 year at most. i wonder if they are going to punish the coach as well. 

question for everyone, who deserves more blame here, coach or captain+vice captain? 

I dont think it is. If an Indian captain was ever involved in systematic ball tampering with management then I would impose a lifetime ban as well as criminal charges.

Cricket is a gentleman's game and we have to make sure the sport is clean of ANY cheating. If this means setting a precedent then so be it.

5 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

This not about just cricket in Australia , it's the shaming of a nation that loves the game of cricket not put cricketers on the level of god's . 

These cricketers involved in this have  shamed all sportsmen in Australia. 

To say Australians are upset is a big understatement, I think the public there are looking for an appropriate punishment by CA 

Yeah, this is not limited to cricketing boards and players anymore.

Government (ASC and Prime Minister) is involved now.

As CA's head of integrity Iain Roy and team performance manager Pat Howard travelled to Cape Town to commence an investigation, the CA Board bowed to pressure from the Australian Sports Commission to strip Smith and Warner of their leadership roles for the remainder of the Newlands Test, following their roles in orchestrating the ball tampering attempt that also involved Bancroft.

The outraged response of the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who spoke to the CA chairman David Peever the moment he touched down on his return from South Africa, was given further heft by the joint call from the ASC chair John Wylie and chief executive Kate Palmer for Smith and Warner to be stood down immediately from leadership until Roy's investigation is complete.

Broadcast rights are at stake.

The CA chief executive James Sutherland also issued a public apology to Australian followers of the game, with the Board at a delicate point in the multimillion dollar television rights negotiations for the next five years with the Nine, Ten and Seven networks and the pay television network Fox Sports.

1 minute ago, LordPrabhzy said:

I dont think it is. If an Indian captain was ever involved in systematic ball tampering with management then I would impose a lifetime ban as well as criminal charges.

Cricket is a gentleman's game and we have to make sure the sport is clean of ANY cheating. If this means setting a precedent then so be it.

Luckily things don't work like that.

4 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

i think criminal charges r a bit harsh, for anything outside of match-fixing.

what do you think should be the punishment for chucking, because their are some players like Hafeez and Narine who r repeat offenders, keep getting cleared and then reported again and again?

Not harsh at all.

When, as a nation they've gone with the "Play hard but fair" and then they've been exposed to systemic cheating, the reputation of the nation is in tatters. The Australian team will now need to wear the cheaters badge going forward and that because of Smith, Warner and Lehmann. 

I imagine people would be more forgiving if these players are punished.

TBH I'll be questioning every single Australia performance going forward if these people are around the team in any capacity.

6 minutes ago, Sachinism said:

Not harsh at all.

When, as a nation they've gone with the "Play hard but fair" and then they've been exposed to systemic cheating, the reputation of the nation is in tatters. The Australian team will now need to wear the cheaters badge going forward and that because of Smith, Warner and Lehmann. 

I imagine people would be more forgiving if these players are punished.

TBH I'll be questioning every single Australia performance going forward if these people are around the team in any capacity.

Why not question results going backwards as well . Last ashes has asterix next to it 

starc late reversing Yorkers !  Dodgy ? 

The smear is on and I personally love it lol

Not harsh at all. If CA or Australia thinks this is breach of code of conduct then they probably have every right to ban them from playing cricket for Australia forever. What is acceptable for us should not be acceptable for everyone.petsonally I don't side with Smith and Warner in this cheating. Won't mind if they are banned. Cheaters.

Edited by Straight Drive
8 minutes ago, Moochad said:

i think criminal charges r a bit harsh, for anything outside of match-fixing.

what do you think should be the punishment for chucking, because their are some players like Hafeez and Narine who r repeat offenders, keep getting cleared and then reported again and again?

Chucking is different as its a bowlers personal descretion how he bowls ( arm angles and blah blah) so yes ban for that is appropriate.

But once you get into realms of cheating/ball tampering which involves the management PLUS trying to cover things up is as bad as match fixing in my opinion

6 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Why not question results going backwards as well . Last ashes has asterix next to it 

starc late reversing Yorkers !  Dodgy ? 

The smear is on and I personally love it lol

DZIVBMUWsAAZfLN.jpg:large

Oh for sure. Broad acknowledges something dodgy was going on during the Ashes too.

I can absolutely guarantee this is not the first time they've done this.