Steve Smith Set to Lose Captaincy, Faces Year-long Ban: Report

Suhaan

5 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Woh sab theek hai, but why was the ICC so reluctant to punish these guys?

Bancroft lost a bit of money off his match fee, no suspension, absolutely nothing. He was the one actually tampering with the ball. Smith wasn't directly involved in the actual act of tampering, but there has to something in the rules for bringing the game into disrepute?

The ICC looks like an incredibly spineless organization. They are the ones that should be taking punitive action, not the individual boards.

The ICC went out of their way to give the 3 pakistani spot fixers 5 year bans. Why are they so soft on the austrayan players?

Yeah bit of money. For a test player 1 match fee is almost one month income. Considering that they play for 15 years max, this has higher value. We all will like it if employer doesn't pay me 2-3 months of salary thinking it's just bit of money. Losing hard earned money is no joke.

You do realise if ICC awarded harsher punishment it could be easily challenged and reversed as it is against the law of ICC itself? 

8 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Why would it be easily challenged?

The ICC has to do whats in the game's best interest. Maintaining the integrity of the game is pretty important, i'd say. Which is why not many disagreed with the 5 year ban given to the pakistani players.

The ICC is in austraya's back pocket. They're a puppet organization, with no credibility.

Because max and min punishment have been specifically mentioned for ball tampering. When players are bound to code of conduct, this applies to ICC too. ICC can hand over max limit of the punishments, that's it.

If they want harsher punishment they will have to change the rule and then use it in future. 

What would be point of specifically mentioning this scenario in code of conduct, if it is not followed? 

8 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

In this case, this would have been a good time to reconsider the punishment for ball tampering.

I'm aware that its often gone 'under-punished', which is probably why its still somewhat of a grey area. 

But in this case, since it was proven to be systematic, maybe the ICC could have taken a stronger stance. I guess i'm naive to expect some actual leadership.

There is no grey area. There is upper limit of punishment for each offence. ICC and referees can under-punish, but can't limited in case of over punishment. 

Something which isn't possible legally, can't be done just for the sake of taking stronger stance. Actual leadership also means you don't make illegal decisions. This isn't street fight.

1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Why would it be easily challenged?

The ICC has to do whats in the game's best interest. Maintaining the integrity of the game is pretty important, i'd say. Which is why not many disagreed with the 5 year ban given to the pakistani players.

The ICC is in austraya's back pocket. They're a puppet organization, with no credibility.

ICC can only punish according to what their law says.  ball tampering is not a huge offense and has been blown to high proportions just because it is Australia.

3 hours ago, BeardedAladdin said:

The ICC went out of their way to give the 3 pakistani spot fixers 5 year bans. Why are they so soft on the austrayan players?

Someone is hurt deep down. The punishment is according to the set laws. Fixing is considered more heinous crime than tampering with the ball. 

2 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Seems that Smith will be banned for an year. ICC is spineless but CA will deal with them more strongly.

I am glad CA has made Smith step down from captaincy. Much severe punishments to come for Smith and gang. Deserved imo.

ICC went according to the rules set by them. How that is being spineless? 

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

ICC went according to the rules set by them. How that is being spineless? 

Spineless in the sense that the set punishments are disgusting. They should make the laws of the game strict. Due to lesser magnitude of punishment (which i suppose is one or two match ban?) cricketers are not worried to take risks at all. There should be harsh punishment like a ban for an year or two. only then the players will fear to risk doing it.

43 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Spineless in the sense that the set punishments are disgusting. They should make the laws of the game strict. Due to lesser magnitude of punishment (which i suppose is one or two match ban?) cricketers are not worried to take risks at all. There should be harsh punishment like a ban for an year or two. only then the players will fear to risk doing it.

Because ball tampering is not such a big thing that is why punishment is small too. Fixing is and for that, they do give longer or even life bans.

Edited by rkt.india
3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Because ball tampering is not such a big thing that is why punishment is not small too. Fixing is and for that, they do give longer or even life bans.

Ball tampering is not a big thing ? Fair enough if that's your opinion. My views are different though. To me Ball tampering is cheating by using unfair means to get a wicket. it needs to be stopped and sufficient measures needs to be taken to do this. 

43 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Do you think players think about punishment before doing something? If they did, they would not do such things.

29 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Ball tampering is not a big thing ? Fair enough if that's your opinion. My views are different though. To me Ball tampering is cheating by using unfair means to get a wicket. it needs to be stopped and sufficient measures needs to be taken to do this. 

For me, it is about winning and do anything and everything that it takes to win games.  There is nothing fair or unfair.  It is all about how much you want to win.

3 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Seems that Smith will be banned for an year. ICC is spineless but CA will deal with them more strongly.

I am glad CA has made Smith step down from captaincy. Much severe punishments to come for Smith and gang. Deserved imo.

ICC cannot do much here. It is left to individual boards how they go about it. If it wasn't for a huge backlash, CA would've tried to cover this up. In a way it serves them right. 

13 minutes ago, Lannister said:

ICC cannot do much here. It is left to individual boards how they go about it. If it wasn't for a huge backlash, CA would've tried to cover this up. In a way it serves them right. 

Yes, given the one or two match ban laws, it is upto the individual boards to take a more meaningful stand on the cheating cricketers. Agree ICC could only do whatever their laws allow them to do.