Smith, Warner banned for 12 months by Cricket Australia

6 minutes ago, Shunya said:

6 months max would be have apt IMO or 10 international games or something... This is too much for ball tampering.

This is almost end for them. Plus they are going to be away from cricket when they should be playing maximum cricket before the WC. 1 year away from cricket and then getting ready to picked, getting the form back before WC is almost impossible. 

Maybe they should have thought if that before they deliberately hatched a plan to cheat and shame a nation .

Unlike you the be all and end all to others is not winning a WC 

36 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Maybe they should have thought if that before they deliberately hatched a plan to cheat and shame a nation .

Unlike you the be all and end all to others is not winning a WC 

I dont think it was cheating and I feel being done by almost all cricketers around the globe. Ball tampering is minor offense in my opinion. The arrogance/cockiness of aussies of all these years is being used against them now with all nations and their media trying to blow a KO punch. They should have been fined because it is against the law- be it 5 match or 10 match max. Rest all is just hoopla created by media/social media which is all crap, just one form of trolling. Heck I am not even an aussie and have no sympathy for them still I feel everything is being blown out of proportion.

And yes WC is the pinnacle of the cricket whether you like or not. Test match-Jingos can shout as much as they like, LOI is the future and WC will stay at the top for long time to come.

Just now, Shunya said:

I dont think it was cheating and I feel being done by almost all cricketers around the globe. Ball tampering is minor offense in my opinion. The arrogance/cockiness of aussies of all these years is being used against them now with all nations and their media trying to blow a KO punch. They should have been fined because it is against the law- be it 5 match or 10 match max. Rest all is just hoopla created by media/social media which is all crap, just one form of trolling. Heck I am not even an aussie and have no sympathy for them still I feel everything is being blown out of proportion.

And yes WC is the pinnacle of the cricket whether you like or not. Test match-Jingos can shout as much as they like, LOI is the future and WC will stay at the top for long time to come.

1) it is cheating as every cricketer will tell you 

2) it maybe pinnacle in India but not every place 

1 minute ago, Shunya said:

True. what they did was for their team and they had not individual gains by doing this.  CA had no business banning them  once ICC had banned them.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

True. what they did was for their team and they had not individual gains by doing this.  CA had no business banning them  once ICC had banned them.

This is exactly how media trials manage the perception of the crowd. We see that in Indian politics very often. 

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

CA pays them salaries. They are in contract with CA. How can it be said CA has no business banning them. And if CA had no rights they would not have banned them in first place and giving the players to sue them.

I see they did something for the team which bought shame to whole team . Good job really by all three of them. What a great pride they have got to Australian cricket. 

22 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

CA pays them salaries. They are in contract with CA. How can it be said CA has no business banning them. And if CA had no rights they would not have banned them in first place and giving the players to sue them.

I see they did something for the team which bought shame to whole team . Good job really by all three of them. What a great pride they have got to Australian cricket. 

i dont see any shame in this. Only thing that brings same is fixing. i dont see doing something to win games as shame.  i would actually be proud of had our players played with that much will to win.

Edited by rkt.india
Just now, rkt.india said:

i dont see any shame in this. Only thing that brings same is fixing. i dont see doing something to win games as shame.

It does not matters what you or me thinks. 

In this case it matters the most Australian fans reacted very severely against cricketer, how their Prime Minister reacted, how CA reacted and how the sponsors of Smith reacted on basis of fans reactions. 

it's done and dusted. The factors on which Australian cricket is dependent on has reacted and they have been banned. 

16 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

1) it is cheating as every cricketer will tell you 

2) it maybe pinnacle in India but not every place 

Disagree. Every cricketer will actually tell you that they have tried changing the condition of ball to various degrees as per the requirement. Every cricketer will tell you that they try to change the condition of the pitch by running on it and roughing it up while batting or bowling. Every cricketer will tell you that its very common to knick the ball/edge and stand there instead of walking. Every cricketer will tell you that they have always tried to gain advantage while backing up at non-stricker's end. 

We can list plenty of other instances like claiming a grounded catch, appealing even when they know its not out to put pressure on the umpire, etc. None of these are done in ethical /moral way, so we end up calling the m trying to gain unfair advantage and not define everything as "cheating" to massage our self righteous ego. Cricketers all around the globe do these day in n out and when they cross the line, they get penalised. This is how laws are made and followed. You can argue that penalty of 1 match ban is not sufficient and ask for more stricter laws or better defining laws. 

Anyhow... I guess you would be facing tough time defending every aussie incident in future now that you call ball-tampering as cheating. Media and the world boards should keep knocking you down because you like to take it.

I agree, all this is Australia's 'holier than thou' attitude.  There has been other cases of similar tampering as well and the boards are just happy with ICC punishment. 1 year is too harsh. 1 series would've been good. Atherton, Dravid, Faf, Afridi, Trescothick, and Sachin too have been charged and served ICC punishment. This is pure Hogwash. 

Edited by coffee_rules
4 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Ca decision. They focused on there rep 

but it one year is very very harsh. Banned from and captaincy / vice forever and 3 month ban would have been ok imo 

but they wanted to send a message . Fair play . How many other boards would have done this ?

When FAF did it there was no pressure by South African fans to ban him. Here in this case CA were under tremendous pressure. Aussie fans were saying they would boycott crikcet. Viewership and brands whom these cricketers advertise for will struggle. In the case of Faf there was no pressure on CSA from their own fans, neither the sponsors were afraid of losing brand value and business.

Even the broadcasting company for Australian matches had warned that if these cricketers are not dealt with severely they will think about broadcasting contract. The way the fans reacted changed the dynamics and exerted pressure on CA and sponsors indirectly. So this is a first case . Not necessarily there will be similar actions by other boards if fans of other countries are okay with ball tampering like in case of Faf.

8 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

When FAF did it there was no pressure by South African fans to ban him. Here in this case CA were under tremendous pressure. Aussie fans were saying they would boycott crikcet. Viewership and brands whom these cricketers advertise for will struggle. In the case of Faf there was no pressure on CSA from their own fans, neither the sponsors were afraid of losing brand value and business.

Even the broadcasting company for Australian matches had warned that if these cricketers are not dealt with severely they will think about broadcasting contract. The way the fans reacted changed the dynamics and exerted pressure on CA and sponsors indirectly. So this is a first case . Not necessarily there will be similar actions by other boards if fans of other countries are okay with ball tampering like in case of Faf.

I guess the first thing Smith and CA should do is hire Virat Kohli's PR firm:phehe: It seems our players and board has mastered the art of what to speak, how to speak, when to speak, etc. Heck even Shastribot instead of Lehmann would have single handedly saved asses of those players by boldly going out and defend/ do chamchagiri.

2 minutes ago, Shunya said:

Disagree. Every cricketer will actually tell you that they have tried changing the condition of ball to various degrees as per the requirement. Every cricketer will tell you that they try to change the condition of the pitch by running on it and roughing it up while batting or bowling. Every cricketer will tell you that its very common to knick the ball/edge and stand there instead of walking. Every cricketer will tell you that they have always tried to gain advantage while backing up at non-stricker's end. 

We can list plenty of other instances like claiming a grounded catch, appealing even when they know its not out to put pressure on the umpire, etc. None of these are done in ethical /moral way, so we end up calling the m trying to gain unfair advantage and not define everything as "cheating" to massage our self righteous ego. Cricketers all around the globe do these day in n out and when they cross the line, they get penalised. This is how laws are made and followed. You can argue that penalty of 1 match ban is not sufficient and ask for more stricter laws or better defining laws. 

Anyhow... I guess you would be facing tough time defending every aussie incident in future now that you call ball-tampering as cheating. Media and the world boards should keep knocking you down because you like to take it.

With your list all of which there are laws in place to punish those offenders except not walking because that is not a law but an umpires decision. 

backing up too far is punishable by conducting a run out.

if it wasn't cheating can you explain why the perpetrator hid the foreign object down his trousers instead of just showing it to the umpires?

as I said every cricketer would consider taking a foreign object onto the field of play and deliberately try to change the  condition of the ball to gain an advantage .