Humbled Lehmann looks to New Zealand culture

A humbled Darren Lehmann has bluntly admitted his "headbutt the line" philosophy for Australia will no longer be tolerated by the game at large, and pointed to the example of New Zealand's cultural regeneration as the way forward for his team. In response to the question of whether he was the right man to mentor the team, he replied: "I need to change."

Speaking for the first time since the Newlands ball-tampering fiasco that has seen Steven Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft all bannedfor up to 12 months and barred from captaincy - for life in Warner's case - Lehmann began with a prepared apology to the cricketing public. He then offered grave and remorseful reflections on the episode and the consequences for the team.

While exonerated on the specific ball tampering plot by Cricket Australia's investigation, Lehmann is fully aware that a "culture review" of Australian men's teams may well conclude with his removal, after the "headbutt the line" attitude he had fostered became mutated into a mindset where undiscovered ball tampering was seen as just another way of doing so.

But he will now try, alongside the new captain Tim Paine, to depart from the previously snarling and disliked visage favoured by Lehmann ever since he took over as coach in 2013. There is some irony in Lehmann's mention of New Zealand, given the hyper-aggressive way in which his side attacked them both verbally and with the ball during the 2015 World Cup final.

"I'm not going to resign as was said. We need to change how we play and within the boundaries we play. Obviously previously we've butted heads on the line but that's not the way to go about us playing cricket moving forward," Lehmann said in Johannesburg. "The thing for me would be if we take a leaf out of someone like, say, New Zealand's book, the way they play and respect the opposition.

"We do respect the opposition but we push the boundaries on the ground. So we've got to make sure we're respecting the game, it's traditions, and understanding [how] the game holds itself around the world. I acknowledge James' comments into the review of the culture of the team and the way we play our cricket and we are all open and ready to assist in this process. The team has been received quite negatively in recent times and there is a need for us to change some of the philosophies about the way we play.

"It was a grave mistake by three young men and we have to try and win the public back now and play the type of cricket that they expect us to play. We have to look at how we go about that, as a coach and support staff and playing group, and make the game better for everyone to play and enjoy watching us play. The whole group's upset and we understand the enormity of it and the public perception. So for us, it's just trying to win the fans back over and play the best cricket we possibly can."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22943295/humbled-darren-lehmann-looks-new-zealand-culture

It's the culture and the attitude that made Australia the most feared side since WI in 80s. Lehmann isn't the one who brought this culture but it there before him too.  Now they are citing NZ culture but forgetting that NZ are the biggest underachiever in world cricket.  

22 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It's the culture and the attitude that made Australia the most feared side since WI in 80s. Lehmann isn't the one who brought this culture but it there before him too.  Now they are citing NZ culture but forgetting that NZ are the biggest underachiever in world cricket.  

Actually India are the biggest under achievers in world cricket 

32 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He has to say some appeasing statements now. There is no other way left. Its a good way to go for next few months atleast, should stay low profile until everyone starts feeling sympathetic for the bans. 

Interesting thing will be infighting amongst players. Surely Smith, Warner and Bancroft should not be the only ones and they have taken all the blame for other players,staff, etc so would be interesting to see how other players support them or not in upcoming months, especially the bowlers. 

There has to be some back deal between CA and these 3 to not make bring anyone else in media further and slowly by slowly CA will help change the perception and their return to the side. I feel that is the right way as well now for them. 

8 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Actually India are the biggest under achievers in world cricket 

Because of the way cricket was handled. And that was because of the kind of people who were put on the helm. India has been an underachiever due to lack of fast bowlers. And that blame needs to be taken by the management, selectors. All of them sidelined fast bowlers and a fast bowling culture for over 30-40 yrs.

Just now, Rightarmfast said:

Because of the way cricket was handled. And that was because of the kind of people who were put on the helm. India has been an underachiever due to lack of fast bowlers. And that blame needs to be taken by the management, selectors. All of them sidelined fast bowlers and a fast bowling culture for over 30-40 yrs.

I said India because if you look at the number of population , numbers playing cricket, national sports of each countries, money available, facilities available to youngsters playing cricket , administration for the good of the good . India should be head and shoulders above every country , dominating everything now, in the future and should have been in the past. 

New Zealand with a population of 4.7 million and a rugby union crazy country ( which it does dominate ) I think does very well to even compete in Test cricket 

15 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

It's still happening in Indian cricket .

When I was last across I watched a Ranji Trophy game involving Gujarat who were winners I think 2 seasons ago.

They played 2 opening bowlers who were 32 and 28 I think and 3 spinners with a 6th bowler turning his arm over for a few overs.

That is old style India still, state champions with opening bowlers who will never ever play for India 

1 hour ago, Tattieboy said:

I said India because if you look at the number of population , numbers playing cricket, national sports of each countries, money available, facilities available to youngsters playing cricket , administration for the good of the good . India should be head and shoulders above every country , dominating everything now, in the future and should have been in the past. 

New Zealand with a population of 4.7 million and a rugby union crazy country ( which it does dominate ) I think does very well to even compete in Test cricket 

Population alone cannot decide it neither population is a yardstick for sporting excellence.  

9 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Population alone cannot decide it neither population is a yardstick for sporting excellence.  

If you have 200 million participating in something as against 200,000 then there's a fair chance you will find 11 better in the 200 million 

1 minute ago, Tattieboy said:

If you have 200 million participating in something as against 200,000 then there's a fair chance you will find 11 better in the 200 million 

but do those 200 millions have the access to dietary nutrition, facilities, and motivation as much as those 200,000 have?  Lifestyle, genetics are other factors that determine sporting excellence.  look at the difference between Per capita income of India and NZ.  This excess population is more a burden than boon. 

Just now, rkt.india said:

but do those 200 millions have the access to dietary nutrition, facilities, and motivation as much as those 200,000 have?  Lifestyle, genetics are other factors that determine sporting excellence.  look at the difference between Per capita income of India and NZ.  This excess population is more a burden than boon. 

But but but but The BCCI is the richest board in the world , we tell others what to do!!

Explain this one to me , why is is best to knock down a stadium and replace it with a brand new 110,000 seater rather than spend money on grassroots cricketers in the city and give them at least 1 grass wicket in the city to practise on??? Or even to try and repair the rubbish they already practise on???

26 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Top 10 million of India isn't at same level as top 10 million in Aus, NZ or SA?

2 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

That is a simple way of looking at the issue. It is similar to going to a venture capitalist and saying that market of x product is $1B, so if I even get 1% of it, I would get this much revenues. You would not get the funding.

And if we go by population, Ind, Pak, BD, Eng, etc are all under achievers compared to Aus and NZ

A better way to look at this would be ratio of sporting facilities available per 1,000 (or some number), sports and fitness culture, etc. While a kid in the west is playing sports, his counterpart in Ind could be picking up garbage to survive for the day 

3 minutes ago, zen said:

That is a simple way of looking at the issue. It is similar to going to a venture capitalist and saying that market of x product is $1B, so if I even get 1% of it, I would get this much revenues. You would not get the funding.

And if we go by population, Ind, Pak, BD, Eng, etc are all under achievers compared to Aus and NZ

A better way to look at this would be ratio of sporting facilities available per 1,000 (or some number), sports and fitness culture, etc. While a kid in the west is playing sports, his counterpart in Ind could be picking up garbage to survive for the day 

I go back to my previous quote about building new stadium , maybe you can answer that one.?

Maybe you can explain a " coach " who has opened up a " cricket academy " who knows nothing about cricket really but through a friend of a friend has managed to rent one net but he gets 100 boys in the morning and 100 boys in the afternoon to pay thousands of rupees a month for " coaching" ...tell me how he can achieve this? And why under all the noses of state administrators this is allowed to happen?

I use the words coach, cricket academy , coaching very very very loosely!!

No doubt India is the biggest under achiever. This s not a criticism but and honest eveluation. Growing up if you played any sport people would frown upon you thatt this kid plays all the time and does not study.

It has a lot to do with poverty in India. middle class just cannot make both ends meet if cricket career goes south. Hopefully it will get better.

1 minute ago, Khota said:

No doubt India is the biggest under achiever. This s not a criticism but and honest eveluation. Growing up if you played any sport people would frown upon you thatt this kid plays all the time and does not study.

It has a lot to do with poverty in India. middle class just cannot make both ends meet if cricket career goes south. Hopefully it will get better.

Mine is not criticism either it's frustration at what I see when I am there and know it could be much much better.