What if it was Kohli and Sharma instead of Smith and Warner!!!

I am quite surprised by the mood swings everywhere including this own forum. There were several people who voted for a severe punishment (like 6 months to one year ban) and now the ICF has turned into compassionate care giving center after watching Steve Smith's video. Yes, he apologized and so did Warner and Bancroft (who IMO is the only one who really deserves our sympathy). But l

A passionate Indian fan on Cricbuzz comments 

TWO WEEKS BAN??? What are you talking??? LIFE BAN FROM ALL FORMS OF CRICKET TO BE DONE...otherwise the same incident will repeat again and again....that is for sure...if they don't punished severly....They will do the same mistakes... They should learn the good lessons from this....NO ONE IN FUTURE DO LIKE THIS!!!! I think you are soooo kind hearted person like dhoni LOLS...

To which another fan (probably Australian ) responds:

MAN SHUT UP! If this was kohli or sharma you wouldnt be saying this. You dont even know the full story yet so dont make any judgements yet and do you really think bancroft and smith are going to this again. NO. everyone deserves a second chance

I agree everyone deserves a second chance and I would not agree with the too severe comment of the fan (like life ban), but would have certainly said it even if it is Virat Kohli or Ajinkya Rahane or Ashwin or any damn player, if there is conclusive evidence (as in this case), there is a stern need to punish such a players to let it act as a deterrent for the future players.  

The fact of the matter is, it should not matter who the sports person is and how accomplished he has been so far and all.  Ball tampering sets a very very bad precedent for the entire sport and will lead towards fans loosing faith in the accomplishments of their players. We will not know if it is the bowlers/captain/team that won us the game or their secret antics away from the real action.  

Let us please stop shedding tears looking at the tears of Steve Smith. Glad that he realizes his mistake and he should certainly be forgiven but not until he and his co-conspirators face the deserving punishment!!! It is probably harsh but really needed for the sport to be in the right shape!!!

I hope the fellow Indian Cricket fans on this forum share the sentiment expressed here!

had it been kohli or someone like pandya - someone ppl n ex cricketer wud have pounced on them saying we already said they had temperament issues coz they cant stand expressive people

Had it been someone like rahane- he wud have gotten sympathy like a dravid wud have had

But BCCI wud have saved them, sponsers wud have interfered , public wud have been supportive.........in our country superstars are easily forgiven......salman khan is a classic case

and world cricket apart from pakistan wudnt have been to harsh as they were with aussie coz aussies has been drawing their own for years .  

1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

Context matters.  I'd be much more forgiving if brainfade didn't happen last year.  These guys are serial cheaters who use their talent and charisma to paper over their compulsive urge to gain an unfair edge. The veneer's off now.  

Yes, if they were first timers even Aussie fans would have not demanded their bans.

21 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Nobody is above the game. If Virat does it, he also has to be penalised. 

Smith is repeatedly cheating.He needed a ban like this.We can hope that he won't do any cheating in future.

If Virat did it, he would have probably got max punishment from ICC, not the extra bagage of punishment handed down by BCCI, unlike CA - which to me is mind boggling. F'ing Brock Turner raped a girl, got off with a 6 months jail time... these guys, tried to sand paper a f'ing ball, 12 months ban. WTF indeed. Justice system around the world LOL.

9 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

If Virat did it, he would have probably got max punishment from ICC, not the extra bagage of punishment handed down by BCCI, unlike CA - which to me is mind boggling. F'ing Brock Turner raped a girl, got off with a 6 months jail time... these guys, tried to sand paper a f'ing ball, 12 months ban. WTF indeed. Justice system around the world LOL.

:hysterical:Brock Turner kaha se aa gya, 6 months is jail is way worse than 12 months away from the game but then his crime was greater too

ICC punishment would have sufficed then

in our country our politicians have been making chewtiyas of us for decades indulging in corruption and even murder, yet our national conscience hasn't ever arisen to take them to task like Aussies did with Smith and Warner... And some people here want us to believe that the Indian public would have called for punishment at a cricketer merely scratching a ball?

On 3/29/2018 at 9:25 PM, sarcastic said:

I am quite surprised by the mood swings everywhere including this own forum. There were several people who voted for a severe punishment (like 6 months to one year ban) and now the ICF has turned into compassionate care giving center after watching Steve Smith's video. Yes, he apologized and so did Warner and Bancroft (who IMO is the only one who really deserves our sympathy). But l

A passionate Indian fan on Cricbuzz comments 

To which another fan (probably Australian ) responds:

I agree everyone deserves a second chance and I would not agree with the too severe comment of the fan (like life ban), but would have certainly said it even if it is Virat Kohli or Ajinkya Rahane or Ashwin or any damn player, if there is conclusive evidence (as in this case), there is a stern need to punish such a players to let it act as a deterrent for the future players.  

The fact of the matter is, it should not matter who the sports person is and how accomplished he has been so far and all.  Ball tampering sets a very very bad precedent for the entire sport and will lead towards fans loosing faith in the accomplishments of their players. We will not know if it is the bowlers/captain/team that won us the game or their secret antics away from the real action.  

Let us please stop shedding tears looking at the tears of Steve Smith. Glad that he realizes his mistake and he should certainly be forgiven but not until he and his co-conspirators face the deserving punishment!!! It is probably harsh but really needed for the sport to be in the right shape!!!

I hope the fellow Indian Cricket fans on this forum share the sentiment expressed here!

Everyone deserves a second chance but Smith already got it and blew it. He was seen cheating by Kohli a few times with the DRS and he lied his way out of that scandal. Again, he has lied to cover up the full extent of the ball tampering scandal. After the ban, he will come back and likely will get caught in some other cheating scheme. Then people will say everyone deserves a third chance. And it's only a ban, he has not been sent to jail or condemnded to the gallows, so no need to moisten your eyes for this entitled cheat. Think of how he and his mates would have ridiculed and insulted Indian players if they had done something similar. Save your sympathies for someone deserving of it.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:35 PM, Khota said:

Same punishment as Steven Smith is getting. There is nothing special about Kohli and Sharma.

I don't think BCCI will have dished them out same punishment but as I said earlier, they deserve some punishment. 

You don't underestimate the fanbase that those guys have. Kohli is currently the king of Indian cricket and Sharma has a lot of Patron fans who love him like no other. It will be very hard for the Indian Cricket fans to accept punishment dished to them but my point being that your achievement/accomplishment is immaterial if you are cheating with fans/administrators etc. 

Nothing much, 120 crore Indians would have cried racism, conspiracy, weak BCCI, national prestige yada yada. Parliament would have devoted 1 full session on this, we would have threatened to pull out of the tour, got the umpires/ref/broadcasters replaced, spammed the accounts of all SA cricketers and their wives and daughters and sisters with hate messages and death threats. withdrawn the envoys etc etc. Basically we would have got our way and our players instead of getting 12 months bans would become martyrs (boy do we love our fallen heros) placed in the same pedestal as Vikram Batra, Unnikrishnan and Salaskar. May be they would have to serve the ICC ban but rest be assured they would get hero's welcome in IGIA and special appointment with PM, Prez and Rahul Gandhi for standing up to the white bullies. Here on ICF we would open 12375296 threads on spinelessness of BCCI, white man's racism, Lodha, COA, IPL ban on SA cricketers, Srini Mama, state of RSA economy, apartheid and what not.

Basically we are a morally bankrupt society, corrupt to the core and very hypocritical. Even fixers are demi Gods here, perjurers are allowed to remain captains and endorsement kings, murderers can aspire to become commentators/show hosts/chief ministers..... I can only wonder in amazement at the moral high ground most of us take when other teams are caught. We are even worse than Pakistan and Bangladesh. Ashraful admitted to fixing on live TV, name 1 Indian cricketer who has done that. A piss poor batting team like Pak banned a good prospect (for their standards anyway) like Sharjeel and high level performers like Amir/Asif, even their captain got a ban. In India all the big cats are protected by the higher powers and the Sreesanths and the Chandelas and Bhandelas get the bans. We had one big chance in the aftermath of the IPL fixing saga to restore some faith in the system and needless to say we blew it. 

The greatest thing in this episode is not one Aussie cricketer/expert or public figure has said along the lines of 'other teams do tampering, we aren't the only ones, so why single us out?'. Rest assured if an Indian were caught 'whattaboutery' would be the Oxford word of they year. We are masters at this, this annoying habit has been ingrained in our collective psyche right from school days. Whenever we get caught committing mistakes we take solace in the fact that we aren't the only ones doing it. 'Self introspection' and 'taking moral responsibility without blaming others' are 2 traits which distinguish 1st world societies from 3rd world shitholes, sadly both are alien to Indian mindset....... we thrive on blame game and ofc the usual self pity. 

Edited by Gollum
7 hours ago, sarcastic said:

I don't think BCCI will have dished them out same punishment but as I said earlier, they deserve some punishment. 

You don't underestimate the fanbase that those guys have. Kohli is currently the king of Indian cricket and Sharma has a lot of Patron fans who love him like no other. It will be very hard for the Indian Cricket fans to accept punishment dished to them but my point being that your achievement/accomplishment is immaterial if you are cheating with fans/administrators etc. 

Kohli is not above the code of conduct.