Onus on Starc to show his stats were not inflated due to tampering

G_B_

3 hours ago, G_B_ said:

As the spearhead who got the most reverse I think Starc's performance will be monitored by quite a few.

If we see a sudden spike in returns i think its fair to say his overall stats are under doubt.

Fantastic point; echoed my sentiments exactly. Re: sudden spike in his returns, I did notice a sudden upwards spike in his returns following his ability to consistently extract reverse swing game after game. I also noticed that he is nowhere as effective without reverse swing, as evidenced in the first 3 games of the current series. As you say, the jury is out. 

I was always bemused as to why Hazelwood and Start were so effective, they seemed to consistently punch above their weight. With someone like Steyn/Rabada its obvious why they return superlative figures but in the case of those two I must say I was a bit puzzled. 

Fantastic point; echoed my sentiments exactly. Re: sudden spike in his returns, I did notice a sudden upwards spike in his returns following his ability to consistently extract reverse swing game after game. I also noticed that he is nowhere as effective without reverse swing, as evidenced in the first 3 games of the current series. As you say, the jury is out. 

I was always bemused as to why Hazelwood and Start were so effective, they seemed to consistently punch above their weight. With someone like Steyn/Rabada its obvious why they return superlative figures but in the case of those two I must say I was a bit puzzled. 

Sa Have been fined & caught tampering with the ball most times in the last few years

53 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

but Steyn/Rabada still look like much better bowlers than Hazelwood and Starc. They look a lot more gifted and talented so its not a surprise when they do well. 

and hazelwood and starc are not talented and gifted?

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

but Steyn/Rabada still look like much better bowlers than Hazelwood and Starc. They look a lot more gifted and talented so its not a surprise when they do well. 

In ODI'S, Starc is far more gifted than any of them. 

Starc's performance in the 2015 world cup is one of the best ever. 

Define talent. Its hard to define that. I think Steyn and Rabada are more "talented" than Starc in the context of test cricket. But not in ODI's,

Starc wasn't dominating ODI due to ball tampering. 

3 hours ago, hhhhdmt said:

In ODI'S, Starc is far more gifted than any of them. 

Starc's performance in the 2015 world cup is one of the best ever. 

Define talent. Its hard to define that. I think Steyn and Rabada are more "talented" than Starc in the context of test cricket. But not in ODI's,

Starc wasn't dominating ODI due to ball tampering. 

Agree re: ODIs, I was talking about tests only. In LOIs: a left arm seamer and a right arm seamer of similar ability, I believe the left armer will always be better due to inherent advantage with the angles they attack from. 

6 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

With someone like Steyn/Rabada its obvious why they return superlative figures but in the case of those two I must say I was a bit puzzled

Wow amazing man and you knew that all along wow.. Did you know that like before the tampering episode wow amazing man what acumen.

4 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

any International bowler is talented and gifted. But on a relative scale (compared to all International quicks I've seen), they don't strike me as exceptionally talented. 

I think Starc is incredibly talented. Not just in terms of being able to bowl yorkers (which is a rare skill these days). But he has high pace, can get both types of swing, can bowl every ball in the book and is tall on top of that. 

Starc has the potential to be the best test bowler in the world. Right now, however, he isn't in the top 5. Rabada, Cummins, Hazlewood, Steyn etc are all ahead. 

Starc does not lack talent in tests. What he lacks is patience and he has a tendency to over attack and bowl the wrong lengths. 

Starc has exceptional talent but he is wasting it away on a test level. I have no doubt he can be as good as Rabada but he over attacks and doesn't have the patience to bowl more consistently. 

As far as Hazlewood is concerned, he is not exceptionally talented but don't be surprised if his career ends up being nearly as good as McGrath. On paper, McGrath wasn't as talented as Ambrose, Donald, or Wasim and yet he ended up with them. Hazlewood can be this generations McGrath. 

On 31/03/2018 at 10:46 AM, hhhhdmt said:

I think Starc is incredibly talented. Not just in terms of being able to bowl yorkers (which is a rare skill these days). But he has high pace, can get both types of swing, can bowl every ball in the book and is tall on top of that. 

Starc has the potential to be the best test bowler in the world. Right now, however, he isn't in the top 5. Rabada, Cummins, Hazlewood, Steyn etc are all ahead. 

Starc does not lack talent in tests. What he lacks is patience and he has a tendency to over attack and bowl the wrong lengths. 

Starc has exceptional talent but he is wasting it away on a test level. I have no doubt he can be as good as Rabada but he over attacks and doesn't have the patience to bowl more consistently. 

As far as Hazlewood is concerned, he is not exceptionally talented but don't be surprised if his career ends up being nearly as good as McGrath. On paper, McGrath wasn't as talented as Ambrose, Donald, or Wasim and yet he ended up with them. Hazlewood can be this generations McGrath. 

Starc isn’t as talented as Cummins, Pattinson, Rabada etc., he’s in fact very one dimensional, but it’s effective. He’s able to generate so much pace due to his long delivery stride and elastic physique but consequently he doesn’t generate much bounce (considering he’s 6’6) nor does he get much on top of the ball, everything is behind it. His game is almost tailor made for LO cricket, spearing it in at the stumps at 145 km/h is hard to score off and gets you free wickets at the back end. In tests, however, it’s easier to manage if your a top order bat. The majority of his wickets in tests are that of tail enders.