David Warner breaks down in emotional ball-tampering apology

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/03/31/09/42/david-warner-press-conference-ball-tampering-scandal

An emotional David Warner has broken down during an apology for his role in the ball tampering scandal that has rocked Australian cricket.

The disposed Australian vice-captain today said he takes full responsibility for his role in the incident and apologised for "the impact my actions have had on our country's reputation" in a statement to media from the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"To the fans and the lovers of the game who have supported and inspired me on my journey as a cricketer, I want to sincerely apologise for betraying your trust in me," he said.

"I have let you down badly.

"I hope in in time I can find a way to repay for all you've given me and possibly earn your respect again."

Warner also apologised to his teammates and Cricket Australia for his actions and the effect they had on Australian cricket.

"I apologise unreservedly for my part in this and I am sorry," he said.

"To all Australians, whether you're a cricket fan or not, I apologise for my actions and I'm sorry for the impact those actions have had on our country's reputation.

"I can honestly say I've only ever wanted to bring glory to my country through playing cricket. In striving to do so, I've made a decision that has had the opposite effect and it's one that I will regret for as long as I live."

The former vice-captain broke down in speaking about the effect his actions have had on his family and said he hopes to one day represent his country once again, despite realising that he may never be given that chance.

"Right now it is hard to know what comes next, but first and foremost is the well being of my family," he said.

"In the back of my mind, I suppose there is a tiny ray of hope that I may one day be given the privilege of playing for my country again but I am resigned to the fact that that may never happen.

"In the coming weeks and months I'm going to look at how this happened and who I am as a man."

Warner is accused of developing a plan to use sandpaper to scuff the ball on the third day of the Cape Town Test against South Africa, with investigators also alleging he advised rookie Cameron Bancroft on the process and failed to voluntarily report of his knowledge of the plan after the match.

The former vice-captain has already issued an apology via social media to Australian cricket fans for his part in the saga, saying “mistakes have been made which have damaged cricket”.

He and former Australian Captain Steve Smith both copped 12-month suspensions and Bancroft received a nine-month ban, but Warner was banned from ever entering a position of leadership again.

Whether he appeals those penalties, refutes the facts or throws further fuel on the fire today will be a matter of most interest.

Yesterday, Darren Lehmann also said he will resign as coach of the Australian cricket team in wake of the scandal, saying “after viewing Steve and Cameron’s hurting, it’s only fair that I make this decision.”

Warner arrived back in Sydney from South Africa on Thursday night along with his wife and two young daughters and kept his comments brief as he passed through Sydney Airport.

"As you can understand, it's been a tough and an emotional time for my wife and the kids," he said after being asked whether he had heard about Darren Lehmann’s decision to quit as Australian coach.

"At this present time, you'll hear from me in a couple of days.

"At the moment, my priority is to get these kids in bed and rest up and let my mind be clear so I can think and talk to you in a couple of days."

His comments come after Smith made an emotional statement taking full responsibility for the pre-meditated ball tampering plot and apologised for a “serious error of judgement”.

Rookie Bancroft also expressed his “extreme disappointment” after touching down in Perth on Thursday.

"I know I'm a role model and I've not acted like one in this instance. I understand the disappointment in the broader community." he said at a press conference.

"Words don't mean much in these circumstances so I'll be focusing on my conduct and my actions going forward. All I can do in the short term is ask for forgiveness."

The scandal has also seen Warner and Bancroft dropped by a number of sponsors over their actions. Sporting company ASICS cut ties with both players, while Warner was dropped by electronics company LG.

Meanwhile, the new Australian Captain Tim Paine spoke of the team's direction following the scandal after players shook hands with the South African team on day one of the fourth Test in Johannesburg.

"I think it's not a bad way to start a Test series. It's something we will probably look to use going forward. I think it's a good show of sportsmanship and respect," he said.

"Our thoughts are certainly with our teammates who aren't here at the moment.

"We've had conversations and a lot of coffees with each other talking about what we're going to do to change and how we're going to do that going forward. From all this dark cloud, at some stage there's going to be a silver lining."

Edited by Turning_track
to add a video link

The former vice-captain broke down in speaking about the effect his actions have had on his family and said he hopes to one day represent his country once again, despite realising that he may never be given that chance.

This might be a real possibility considering the fact he was the key figure behind pay dispute & his role in numerous controversies on & off the field.

It would be stupid if he is not allowed to ever play again. CA definitely trying to settle scores since Warner was the  front man in pay dispute. Also Warner isn't talking like master mind. He is repeatedly saying I played a part in it while CA wants us to believe he orchestrated it.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

I don't get it. He may never play? 

None will play. Smith , Bancroft and warner.If you carefully listen,he says I brought disrepute to the game. Looks like a staged answer as well but CA looks like they are taking this seriously. Because this hurts the pride of their cricket.

Well, the conference's have been done with all cheaters shedding some tears. Typical cry babies.Try to sledge but have no toughness to take it when opponents give you back on field.Use sandpaper to overcome the lack in the skillset of bowlers.Breach code of conduct and then say sorry.If they were not caught they would have continued with their tactics.So I do not have any sympathy to them.If some genuine sportsman who played the game hard and in true spirit had cried then I would have been sad, but these do not deserve the sympathy as most others would do.

2 hours ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Whats the point of these press conferences if he wont answer any questions? He hasn't told us anything that we don't already know. Tell us who else was involved, how you planned this, details.

This is just a complete farce. And why put the camera on his wife? Needlessly dramatic.

These PR conf r just to gain some sympathy....

2 hours ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Whats the point of these press conferences if he wont answer any questions? He hasn't told us anything that we don't already know. Tell us who else was involved, how you planned this, details.

This is just a complete farce. And why put the camera on his wife? Needlessly dramatic.

That might be because there are more to the story. More players/coaches/staffs are definitely involved. Seems like CA wants him to take the full blame but he doesnt want that so probably talking to his legal team and what not. in Due time.