Rachel McLellan, fiancée of Australian cricketer Usman Khawaja converts to Islam

Temujin Khaghan

The couple, Rachel McLellan, 22 and her Muslim groom Khawaja will tie the knot the next month, discussed everything in an interview to from their unlikely relationship to racism on the cricket field and Ms McLellan’s decision to convert to Islam last year.

Rachel McLellan has opened up about her decision to convert from Catholicism to Islam to marry Pakistan-born batsman – who became the first Muslim to ever play cricket in Australia, she loves. Leaving behind her Catholic roots, Rachel made the decision to convert to Islam last year.

Appearing on 60 Minutes, to be aired on Sunday night, the bride-to-be admitted she believed the misconceptions of the faith before she met Khawaja.

Rachel was not forced as she made the decision on her own to convert to Islam last year.

I felt no pressure from him, not any pressure from his family. I just knew it was so important to him,” she said.

‘Ussie was the first Muslim I’d ever met,’ Rachel said, adding; “I was very ignorant around Ussie, I will admit to that. I only listened to what I had heard on the news. All I read was well, terrorists and awful things.’

The Pakistan-born batsman – who became the first Muslim to ever play cricket in Australia – said his faith has always come first in his life, adding that it came as a surprise when he fell in love with the Catholic school girl.

Despite trying to challenge the stereotypes of the religion, Khawaja said the pair have faced outrage since going public with their relationship.

Khawaja proposed to his then-girlfriend – who was born into a devout Catholic family – during a romantic New York holiday in July 2016.

As their relationship blossomed, the batsman said he never put any pressure on Rachel to switch religion for him – and insisted the decision was entirely hers to make.

‘I never was going to put a gun to Rachel’s head and say you have to convert,’ he said.

‘I told her I would prefer her to convert but she has to do it on her own. Unless it comes from you, comes from the heart, then there is no point doing it.’

By sharing their story, the pair seemed determined to break down the social barriers that still permeate society.

294381_2215725_updates-700x357.jpg

Pretty sure if the converse were to happen i.e. a non Muslim player marrying a Muslim girl and converting her, there would be a machete attack on that person's team/family by peacefuls. Azhar married Sangeeta Bijlani and converted her to Islam, yet he was made captain of the Indian team in 3 consecutive WCs.....can a Kaneria or Soumya Sarkar get away with such a stunt? Pretty sure ordinary Hindus would bear the brunt of rabid Islamists if that were to happen, aur bhashan jhaadte hai India ke intolerance, multiculturalism aur secularism ke baare mein Pakistan/Bangladesh ke nagrik...

Basic problem is there are not good enough books/booklets which educate the people about the reality of Islam. 

And there are very few people who are knowledgeable enough to debate with the Muslim preachers.

On the other hand there are millions of books for propagation of Islam. 

And there are millions of Muslim preachers who brain wash the people, especially those who are not knowledgeable enough. 

3rd problem is this that those who criticize Islam (or have some knowledge) they mostly Christians. But then Muslims start showing them the wrong doings of prophets and god which are present in the bible itself. 

For example, prophet Muhammad killed "ALL" the 800 men (including old men and 12 years old children who got the naval hairs) of the Jewish tribe of Banu Qurayza, and took all the women and small children as slaves.

Now these women and small children and old people committed absolutely no crime against the Muslims. Therefore, it is criticized that Prophet Muhammad committed a "war crime". 

But then Muslims start showing the Christians that bible confirms itself that their prophets like Mosed and David and others also killed the whole nations. In face they were even more ruthless than prophet Muhammad as they killed not only the men, but also killed all the women and all the children and left no one alive. 

When the Christians see it, then they shut their mouths and Muslims go away from there as the winners. 

13 hours ago, Gollum said:

Pretty sure if the converse wereto happen i.e. a non Muslim player marrying a Muslim girl and converting her, there would be a machete attack on that person's team/family by peacefuls. Azhar married Sangeeta Bijlani and converted her to Islam, yet he was made captain of the Indian team in 3 consecutive WCs.....can a Kaneria or Soumya Sarkar get away with such a stunt? Pretty sure ordinary Hindus would bear the brunt of rabid Islamists if that were to happen, aur bhashan jhaadte hai India ke intolerance, multiculturalism aur secularism ke baare mein Pakistan/Bangladesh ke nagrik...

Recently south Indian actors nagachaitanya and Samantha got married. First he married her in Hindu tradition and then at the church in Christian tradition and she did not convert.

Can't understand why muslims can't do why Hindus and Christians do when it comes to inter faith marriages...

5 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Recently south Indian actors nagachaitanya and Samantha got married. First he married her in Hindu tradition and then at the church in Christian tradition and she did not convert.

Can't understand why muslims can't do why Hindus and Christians do when it comes to inter faith marriages...

Contrast that to another case a month back. A popular TV star Dipika Kakar married her Muslim colleague (https://www.hindustantimes.com/tv/dipika-kakar-puts-rumours-to-rest-it-s-true-i-have-converted-to-islam/story-Tbz9ceL4GjJI5P3Lpm2mLL.html), she had to convert to Islam....same lame explanation like the one which OP posted...done out of free will/no coercion blah blah blah. If 2 people really love each other why the need to convert and abandon the religion your parents gave you? And why don't Muslims ever respect the faith of their partners?

I recently went to Malaysia and had the chance to interact with locals. All the non Muslims I spoke to complained about Muslims eloping with non Muslim girls and converting them...apparently the law in Malaysia is no better than Pakistan or Taliban regime in these matters, minorities are going through hell there. A Tamil lady who hosted our group broke down and said her only wish is that her daughters never fall for Muslim men because once that happens their entire legal system is heavily biased in favor of Muslims like no reconversion, compulsory hijab for Muslims etc. I mean if this is the level of tolerance in a so called progressive Muslim state imagine the plight in other Muslim majority countries? I had high regards for Malaysians before travelling there, but now I am convinced that even the most tolerant Islamic society will be 100x times worse than the most intolerant Hindu/Buddhist/Christian/Jew society. 

Edited by Gollum

I saw in some famous Pakistani movie that Muslims are allowed to marry people of the book i.e. Christians & Jews. It would be a mistake for them to assume that even though the women are converting, their outlook towards life will completely change and they will turn conservative and all e.g. jemima khan. 

pakistan-ka-khuda-hafiz-dotcom :giggle:

Contrast that to another case a month back. A popular TV star Dipika Kakar married her Muslim colleague (https://www.hindustantimes.com/tv/dipika-kakar-puts-rumours-to-rest-it-s-true-i-have-converted-to-islam/story-Tbz9ceL4GjJI5P3Lpm2mLL.html), she had to convert to Islam....same lame explanation like the one which OP posted...done out of free will/no coercion blah blah blah. If 2 people really love each other why the need to convert and abandon the religion your parents gave you? And why don't Muslims ever respect the faith of their partners?

I recently went to Malaysia and had the chance to interact with locals. All the non Muslims I spoke to complained about Muslims eloping with non Muslim girls and converting them...apparently the law in Malaysia is no better than Pakistan or Taliban regime in these matters, minorities are going through hell there. A Tamil lady who hosted our group broke down and said her only wish is that her daughters never fall for Muslim men because once that happens their entire legal system is heavily biased in favor of Muslims like no reconversion, compulsory hijab for Muslims etc. I mean if this is the level of tolerance in a so called progressive Muslim state imagine the plight in other Muslim majority countries? I had high regards for Malaysians before travelling there, but now I am convinced that even the most tolerant Islamic society will be 100x times worse than the most intolerant Hindu/Buddhist/Christian/Jew society. 

There’s no such thing as “tolerant Islamic society”...

These women are stupid to believe this is love.

If he or any other guy can't love you with your religion or lack of it , then it is not really acceptance of you as a person 

A girl in my family  is married to a liberal muslim guy ( in India) . It was pretty shocking  for our family gp because it was the first inter religion marriage . 

Thankfully this guy and his family are truely liberal . There children have names that go with both religions and follow both religions .She was very clear from the begining that she would never convert or be restricted to follow her religion and children would follow both till they can choose.....or she would walk out.

A similar case with another friend( again , in India)

If  it is love, religion should n't matter. If religion matters then choose someone from your own.

11 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

I remember Asin who is a christian got married to rahul sharma and they both had a christian wedding as well as  a hindu one. Niether of them got converted.

Edited by Book_Worm