Speed,Swing &Performance of Fast Bowlers & Swing Bowlers in 2018 IPL

vishalvirsingh

8 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

Who do you guys rate as a better bowler, Nagarkoti or Mavi? I would also love it if you could explain why :icflove: 

@Rightarmfast @express bowling @rkt.india @tweaker @Mosher

I think both the bowlers are neck to neck now and also complement each other pretty well. To single out one is difficult. I agree with the others that Nagarkotti can move the ball both ways while Mavi may not, as of today. 

Out of the 2, I feel Mavi is ahead than Nagarkotti. True, Nagarkotti is out and out express and perhaps will become a consistent 150+ bowler. However, Mavi has got a head over his shoulders. His control, his body language and his consistency is above Nagarkotti. He has the body language of a Glen Mcgrath or a Steyn. He looks focussed and knows what he wants while bowling, reminiscent of Zaheer Khan. In my book Mavi is ahead by a whisker. 

12 hours ago, the don said:

In t20 cricket those speeds are actually a little dissapointing tbh . The benchmark should be 147-150 kph and not 140 .for reference there were around 15  Pakistani pacers if not more  that clocked 140 plus in the Psl from 6 sides which basically means pretty much everyone that rolled his arm over.

Except for uncle wahab everyone was trundling even with hyper calibrated speed guns man... It's genetic don't be too hard on your self. 

Edited by Vilander

14 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

i did not see his bowling as i was travelling ..how was his performance express,rkt,tweaker?

Bowled very late in the inning, may be 14 the over. Bowled with good pace above 140 k. He should have bowled the opening spell. The team management should trust his skills. 

He should not be dropped by bowling just 1 over 

Article on Mavi 

His run-up is full of intent, leap good and the action high-arm. And if you observe closely, you would spot a faint flick of the wrist at the point of release. Many pacers have it, some discernible and others subtle. But here you are almost expecting to find it in him.

The thing is, Mavi comes from Meerut. From the same Victoria Park academy that has produced such swing bowling exponents as Praveen Kumar and Bhuvneshwar Kumar. Like PK and Bhuvi, Mavi too has been coached by Sanjay Rastogi. As if these similarities weren’t enough, his father, again like those of Praveen and Bhuvneshwar, works in Uttar Pradesh Police.

Chandrahaas Mavi is a sub-inspector in the neighbouring Baghpat district.You can explain a lot of other common things, how do you explain this cop connection?

Rastogi laughs a hearty laugh when you ask him this question. “There is no mystery here. The thing is that the academy is situated right next to Meerut’s Police Lines’ residential complex. Families of lots of policemen live there. So a number of kids from there come to the academy,” he says.

But the similarities with the two Kumars end here. Mavi, Rastogi says, doesn’t swing the ball like them. “I am not saying that he doesn’t swing it. No. He has a very good and effective in-swinger. It’s just that his ball doesn’t move as prodigiously as PK and Bhuvi’s do,” says Rastogi.

But he has other strengths. He bowls at a good pace. “Mere hisaab se 135-plus phenkta hai,” says Rastogi. Even if you take out five kilometers – which most coaches would be inclined to add to talk their wards up – that is not bad for an Under-19 player. “Also his ball rises. And he bowls very accurate yorkers and has a clever slower one. Lately, he has started swinging the ball away from the (right-handed) batsmen as well. He is a hard working fellow and he puts in a lot of effort. Bada joshila bowler hai,” says Rastogi.

11 hours ago, express bowling said:

Sran ...  Fastest of 144 k

Quite a few 140 k to 144 k balls

Has he worked on increasing his pace  ?

he seems to have worked on his fitness and strength after the ankle injury that he suffered during Aus tour. He was always quick when his Punjab debut in one days.  I had heard about him bowling quick at the age of 17-18 but then he suffered a road accident and had a shoulder surgery that kept him away for 3-4  years. he came back for Punjab after 3 years and was also picked for Indian one day team immediately for Aus tour.

Edited by rkt.india

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

Sran ...  Fastest of 144 k

Quite a few 140 k to 144 k balls

Has he worked on increasing his pace  ?

His pace will get better as he keeps bowling more and gains more fitness 

Just need to put in more in his action n run up .

Watever i have seen of him n kulwant they both can increase their pace by a bit of fine tunning in action. Good thing about Sran is he gets the ball back in to right handers which is lethal in this day n age of hacks and also takes a lot of wkts with his slower balls in end overs which makes him a really good option for LOI as he takes wkts through out the innings. 

16 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

i did not see his bowling as i was travelling ..how was his performance express,rkt,tweaker?

Mavi bowled just 1 over.  I liked what I saw.   Williamson was batting but Mavi managed to hurry him too.

Basically bowled 140 k to 145 k, hit the deck hard and bowled in decent areas.

21 hours ago, Suhaan said:

I think RCB should try Saini in some match .im pretty sure he will comfortably reach 147 with control

Exactly the problem with our faster bowlers. They have pace nowdays but they have no control over line and length. I agree it's difficult to control at 145+ but that is what makes excellent bowlers or great bowlers - which is what we need. Otherwise their pace is used brilliantly by the batters for tonking loads of runs.

Shaun Tait had power but not control whatsover more often than not. Many of our bowlers are similar types. They bang it in at good pace and it disappears . Nor do they take enough wickets.

2017 top 3 wicket takers:

Player / Innings / Wickets / eco rate / strike rate

Bhuvi / 14 / 26 / 7.05 / 12

Jaydev / 12 / 24 / 7.02 / 11.4

Jas /  16 / 20 / 7.41 / 17.8

It will be interesting to see who the top 3 wickets takers will be at the end of this IPL season.

6 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Exactly the problem with our faster bowlers. They have pace nowdays but they have no control over line and length. I agree it's difficult to control at 145+ but that is what makes excellent bowlers or great bowlers - which is what we need. Otherwise their pace is used brilliantly by the batters for tonking loads of runs.

Shaun Tait had power but not control whatsover more often than not. Many of our bowlers are similar types. They bang it in at good pace and it disappears . Nor do they take enough wickets.

2017 top 3 wicket takers:

Player / Innings / Wickets / eco rate / strike rate

Bhuvi / 14 / 26 / 7.05 / 12

Jaydev / 12 / 24 / 7.02 / 11.4

Jas /  16 / 20 / 7.41 / 17.8

It will be interesting to see who the top 3 wickets takers will be at the end of this IPL season.

why people keep citing Shaun Tait's example. Shaun Tait was one of the best short format bowler around.

2 minutes ago, speedheat said:

This joker dpak chahar keeps on getting chance despite being thrashed :facepalm: csk should play asiff over him, or certain someone fingers are more important than team  i think :thinking:

i think he will be dropped next game.  His bowling is more suited to test cricket. He will be handy in England. BK, Chahar, Bumrah/any another genuine pacer should be our pace trio on England tour. Swing is the king there.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

why people keep citing Shaun Tait's example. Shaun Tait was one of the best short format bowler around.

Can you tell out of so many Big Bash editions and few stints at IPL, how many seasons he has topped as highest wicket taker. I don't remember even one season. He was an injury material and it impacted his performances.