Mullahs create another problem: Sania not to play in India anymore

suraj

Tired of being dragged into one controversy after another in the past few months, Sania Mirza [images] has decided against playing in India for now. The tennis ace decided against entering next month's Bangalore Open, and cited the petty controversies that have dogged her in recent months as the reason for snubbing the event. "I am not playing in Bangalore Open. I have been advised by my manager not to play (there) because a lot has been happening in the past few months," Sania told reporters in Hyderabad on Monday. "Everytime I have played in India there has been some kind of problem. So we just thought it was better not to play this time," she added. Ever since her breakthrough 2005 season, Sania has battled controversies ranging from her on-court attire being dubbed indecent by Islamic fundamentalists to the recent flag controversy during the Hopman Cup in December last year. In fact, the off-court issues had shaken the world number 29 to such an extent that she even contemplated giving up the game altogether a few weeks before last month's Australian Open. Meanwhile, the Open, beginning March 3, will have another added attraction, with Venus Williams confirming participation and joining her sister Serena. The tournament will see the Williams sisters appearing together for the first time outside the Grand Slams http://in.rediff.com/sports/2008/feb/04sania1.htm

IT IS not often a player enters a grand slam event with the threat of a three-year jail sentence hanging over their head. However that is the plight of Indian superstar Sania Mirza, who yesterday conceded a furore back home had affected her lead-up. "I'm not superhuman, so yeah it does affect me," Mirza, seeded 31, said. Mirza has found herself in strife for the simple act of resting her bare feet near a small Indian flag. The incident, captured by a photographer at the Hopman Cup in Perth on January 1, could put Mirza behind bars for allegedly disrespecting the national flag. A complaint has been filed to the Hyderabad High Court demanding action be taken under India's Prevention of Insult to the National Honour Act. If found guilty, Mirza faces three years' jail and a fine. Mirza, who has a huge profile in India, somehow managed a smile after downing Iroda Tulyaganova, of Uzbekistan, 6-4 6-2 yesterday. "It's not easy to deal with things like that off the court. There are some misunderstandings happening," Mirza said. "At a (grand) slam, the most important thing now is playing tennis. Under the circumstances, I'm just happy I came through the first round. "It's in court right now. I just know I wouldn't do anything to disrespect my country. I love my country. I wouldn't be playing Hopman Cup otherwise. I'm not allowed to comment right now. It's in court." Mirza played down speculation on her future, saying her plight was not serious enough to spark retirement. The 21-year-old, ranked 32 has often copped heat back home. She has previously been the target of a fatwa for wearing short skirts and singlet tops. Effigies of her were burned after she was incorrectly accused of supporting pre-marital sex. Mirza was watching playing partner Rohan Bopanna in his singles match in Perth with her legs raised in the players' box when a photographer snapped off the frame that has made headlines on the subcontinent. Tournament officials in Perth defended Mirza, saying she was keeping her feet raised to stop a build-up of lactic acid.

man apna cricketers play still inspite of controversies every now and then and she refused to play just because of this kya natak hain sach main . she has not won even a single tournament in last couple of years toh bhi itna natak.

I think it is a wrong decision. At least the way she has potrayed it. She has got far more support from the nation than a few asses troubling her. But the way she has gone about it...it's almost like the whole country is responsible. If she doesn't want to play for whatever reason...there in no reason to pout and act pricey. She has also been ill advised by Mahesh Bhupathi.(Bhupathi accepted that he had advised her)