Axar Patel to play County; Will join Durham for 6 fixtures

Bolstering the list of India cricketers opting to play county cricket in the 2018 season, left-arm spin-bowling allrounder Axar Patel has signed up with Durham for the final six County Championship fixtures. He will make his debut on August 19 against Glamorgan in Cardiff.

So Kohli,Chepu,Ishant Sharma,Varun Aaron, Axar and Ashwin(Officially not announced) will all play county this year...

34 minutes ago, sandeep said:

It will be good for his development.  Why so harsh on him?  Its not his fault Kuldeep isn't playing county.

yup...that was harsh.....but i would love to see kuldeep,umesh , pandya play in the county...coz these players will affect indian cricket much more

6 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

So Kohli,Chepu,Ishant Sharma,Varun Aaron, Axar and Ashwin(Officially not announced) will all play county this year...

England is being nice with all these county signups..lots of English players in IPL as well. Looks like cold war between ECB BCCI is over.

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

England is being nice with all these county signups..lots of English players in IPL as well. Looks like cold war between ECB BCCI is over.

Bollocks.  ECB can't really put up barriers if Indian players are interested in playing county.  The rules allow for counties to sign foreign players, and Indian players do generate interest for these teams.   

Did you know ECB not only collects a chunk of a player's IPL contract directly from the BCCI - but also imposes a salary cut on their player if he plays in the IPL?  

3 hours ago, Stumped said:

How dare the ECB claim back part of the salary of players who aren't playing in the competitions the ECB are paying them to play in...

Its called double-dipping.  They are already sucking down 20% of the players' IPL auction contract value.   It would be fair if they offset that against the salary cut, but doing both is really sleazy.   This kind of employer behavior wouldn't hold up if a player dared to challenge it legally.  As it stands, most players eligible for IPL bids, aren't going to risk pissing off the cricket board in order to get their fair compensation.  So the ECB can carry on its wage-stealing without any hindrance.

But its sure going to get called out by informed observers...

Not sure why a cricket fan would be such a vociferous defender of an obviously corrupt board though.   

Edited by sandeep
6 hours ago, Stumped said:

The BCCI pay compensation to the ECB in order to make the players available (and I'm under the impression they only pay compensation for players available the entire tournament?), the ECB in turn make them available by temporarily letting them off from their contractual duties and therefore don't pay them for the work they had them contracted for. That would stand up perfectly fine under a legal challenge. One of the benefits of a players association is the collective bargaining power so a single player doesn't have to expose themself in order to challenge something like that.

Also I believe I'm correct in thinking the 20% isn't taken from the players salary but instead on top of it?

BCCI dont pay any compensation to ECB.  Those players are contracted to counties and not ECB and can only play in IPL if England aren't playing any international matches. and that 20% is cut from player's salary. 

14 hours ago, Stumped said:

The BCCI pay compensation to the ECB in order to make the players available (and I'm under the impression they only pay compensation for players available the entire tournament?), the ECB in turn make them available by temporarily letting them off from their contractual duties and therefore don't pay them for the work they had them contracted for. That would stand up perfectly fine under a legal challenge. One of the benefits of a players association is the collective bargaining power so a single player doesn't have to expose themself in order to challenge something like that.

Also I believe I'm correct in thinking the 20% isn't taken from the players salary but instead on top of it?

Not sure why you have such a hard time accepting that the ECB is acting sleazy in double-dipping from its players' incomes.   IPL participation has direct tangible benefits for the player in terms of personal development, and the player brings back newly acquired skills and knowledge back home to the FC circuit as well.  Its really indefensible move of the ECB, but its quite amusing to see you twist and turn to try and put lipstick on this pig.   

Btw, does ECB give a percentage of a foreign player's county contract back to the home board of that player? I think not.  

9 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

No problem with this but i would have rather had our test prospects play county to get used to the conditions. Axar, as an LOI spinner, wouldn't really develop as a cricketer playing county cricket in England.

Something is better than nothing. 

Just in case we need him during WC next year...it will be handy if he is used to the conditions even if the formats are different.

@Stumped  Looks like Alec Stewart is on my side of this particular argument then:

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/101627/alex-stewart-surrey-calls-on-english-cricket-board-to-redistribute-ipl-money

Surrey director of cricket Alec Stewart has called on the England and Wales Cricket Board to redistribute money it has received from the BCCI for the participation of English players in the Indian Premier League. This year, the ECB receive the equivalent of 20 percent of a player's IPL contract. Yet, despite the presence of 12 English players in the 2018 tournament, none of that money has been passed onto the counties.

"We have discovered that the ECB have been receiving 10% of the overall contract a player gets from IPL for a number of years and this year it is 20%," said Stewart. "Should the ECB be keeping that? Or should that money come back to the county, who are the ones who miss out? It should come back to the county."

Counties have long argued that the "compensation" for releasing a player for the IPL should be better. At present, this on Central Contracts are deducted only 1/365th of their annual retainer for each day they are on IPL duty, which goes back to the ECB. For other players, clubs receive a one percent return of the county salary for every day of 21 days, before that comes down to 0.7 percent from then on. However, this is a drop in the bucket compared to the payments received by the ECB.

"At the moment, the players take the hit," says Stewart. "But if we get the 20 percent compensation coming from the IPL then I would argue the player should only be paying a daily rate, 1/365th, rather than the one percent. I think that would be fair.

"Obviously if they are not with us they wouldn't expect to be paid by us so paying back a day rate makes sense, as long as we are getting the full 20% compensation that the IPL pay the ECB. Then everyone is looked after: as counties, we have lost a top player, but there is a sum of money that can be reinvested and the player is not being hit by one percent. If there is a fair amount of money that is going from the IPL to the ECB in compensation, then why does that not end up back at the counties? Of course it should."

On 4/9/2018 at 2:33 PM, Stumped said:

How dare the ECB claim back part of the salary of players who aren't playing in the competitions the ECB are paying them to play in...

Counties are asking for the fund to be transferred to them instead as they are the ones loosing the players..haha