How has cricket influenced your life?

MechEng

1.One of my cricket coach who is a well known in Indian cricketing circle as well as held significant posts in Indian cricket has had a very positive influence on me.Always made us run 10 rounds of the cricket ground if we were late.But thanks to those measures we reached nets sharply before 5:45 a.m.I wish we had 3 grace late marks like we have at work nowadays.Punctuality is an important takeaway.Punctuality still remains a key aspect whether it be reporting on or before time at work, meetings.No body is over the rules of a good framework.

2.Never had Darren Lehmann like coach who would teach to cheat.None of the coaches tolerated any rubbish even though we graduated from junior to seniors at club.I remember he barred one of our senior colleague from playing a match and made him do umpiring instead for disciplinary reason.Playing within the spirit of the game was a big influence he had which has helped in other aspects of life too. 

3.One of the other coaches once took us to a beach and arranged beer for us after we lost a 40 over match.I was not in mood to be there because we had lost.But that event made me think about it and realize no matter you are down/lost you must always enjoy the game rather than thinking too much about the loss.It has helped me in player management skills when i did some coaching for Under 14 state level probables and juniors at our club.Today as i lead some managers reporting to me it helps to build a team, ways to manage teams and ways to motivate them and keep their motivation level high.

4.Being passionate was another takeaway.Like i never sold my cricket bats and cricket gear by putting it in OLX even though i stopped playing and it could fetch me few thousands.I am still passionate about my cricketing gear. But sadly this passion towards cricket took a beating when some Indian,South African, Pakistani cricketers were alleged for involvement in match fixing.Even the Waugh-Warne information to bookies, IPL fixing decreased the passion towards broadcasted matches.Now i dont take the results as seriously.In fact i did not care where i had kept the posters of cricketers which came along with sportstar. Having said that i am still  very passionate about what happens at grass root level cricket.I track a lot of grassroot level cricket, the selections of those Under 14 -Under 16 cricketers whom we coached at one point of time.How the youngsters are performing in tournaments lower than Ranji cricket.Thus cricket has made me very passionate about all levels of cricket.

5.Cricket has helped me improve my behavior.As a captain in local cricket and a performer i was too full headed like Virat. But then when i graduated to proper cricket and started playing 20,30,40 and 50 over matches and saw how other captains and coaches and reputed people in cricketing fraternity behaved it changed my behavior in one aspect.Realized one does not have to be pompous to be a successful person.In proper cricket there was no one star performer, sometimes i was top scorer some day some lesser top scored. made me realize that there will be many lesser skilled people around you and some better skilled people as well.It depends which part of environment you are. The crux is adapting to the environment and being supportive of non performers as well.It is how you get the best out of everyone.Stopped being full of myself like Virat.A huge plus.It's helped me in day to day life as well.It helps how you manage people at work.

6. Related cricket to work at times.Like when things were getting very difficult i would remember an innings i played on a grassy top and the top score i made or the other success had with intense commitment. It helped to give the confidence and face the problem and come out of it. 

7.Last but not the least fitness.Having being a lot of time on cricket ground under sun toiling hard for runs,wickets and catches in various matches as well as net practice and some time at coaching, the health was vastly influenced.Never been admitted to hospital since birth and i would give credit of my health to cricket.The warmups at club taught the benefits of being fit and still i do workouts and fitness actvities.Some of those exercises are still part of my workouts.

Edited by Straight Drive

Harmed my student and professional life, it's an obsession that eats me away from within, a succubus you may call it, esp test cricket. Wish I had never been a cricket fan, how many thousand of productive hours must we serious fans have wasted watching cricket, utna khud khel bhi lete toh fitness toh kam se kam theek rehta !!!

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Harmed my student and professional life, it's an obsession that eats me away from within, a succubus you may call it, esp test cricket. Wish I had never been a cricket fan, how many thousand of productive hours must we serious fans have wasted watching cricket, utna khud khel bhi lete toh fitness toh kam se kam theek rehta !!!

Our maths teacher always used to say that Cricket is a waste of time. But we never used to listen. I guess he was right but who complains 

12 minutes ago, DHONI_FANN said:

Our maths teacher always used to say that Cricket is a waste of time. But we never used to listen. I guess he was right but who complains 

Ramadhir ji ne kaha tha naa ki jab tak Hindustan me cinema hai, log chewtiye bante rahenge. I will add cricket to the cinema part.....donon desh ko barbaadi ki or le chal rahe hain...... Hum sab ke sab saale addict ho chuke hain jo kaam padhai chor ICF me poore din bakchodi pelte rehte hain.

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Ramadhir ji ne kaha tha naa ki jab tak Hindustan me cinema hai, log chewtiye bante rahenge. I will add cricket to the cinema part.....donon desh ko barbaadi ki or le chal rahe hain...... Hum sab ke sab saale addict ho chuke hain jo kaam padhai chor ICF me poore din bakchodi pelte rehte hain.

Bhai ekdum sahi baat kahi hai. Add Facebook  and Twitter too.  BTW Wasseypur is a legendary movie. Am gonna watch it this weekend 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Good for you, I watched it 3 times and each time it was better than the previous. 

True yaar.. The more you watch that movie the more you like it. Which one did you like more, Ist part or the 2nd one? For me 1st part was far better 

4 minutes ago, DHONI_FANN said:

True yaar.. The more you watch that movie the more you like it. Which one did you like more, Ist part or the 2nd one? For me 1st part was far better 

Very very difficult to rate yaar, both were brilliant and I can't make up my mind which one is better. It's like Godfather 1 vs Godfather 2 comparison or LOTR trilogy...... today I may pick part 1, tomorrow part 2, part 1 again on Sunday yada yada. 

49 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Very very difficult to rate yaar, both were brilliant and I can't make up my mind which one is better. It's like Godfather 1 vs Godfather 2 comparison or LOTR trilogy...... today I may pick part 1, tomorrow part 2, part 1 again on Sunday yada yada. 

As far as watching cricket is concerned, there is nothing much to talk about. For me, It's similar to normal indian cricket lover. Playing cricket definitely played a big role in my life.

During my childhood, i was never good in studies. I never undestood Maths, Science etc. To make matter worse, my siblings and cousins were extraordinarily brilliant which made my life tougher. Getting teased or scolded was daily routine i use to get bullied also because of low self esteem. This all happened for 22 hours a day. Yes, 22 hours only because for 2 hours I daily played cricket. i  was left handed pace bowler. Whenever i was able to beat or take wicket or injure a batsman that feeling that confidence compensated my all failures. 

So cricket for me was and is more than just another game. it's a passion. Today after 7 years gap I have again started playing cricket. At this age, Ofcourse my speed is lot slower but the

"sound of timber is joy forever"