Is Ishant Sharma the Morne Morkel of India as a test bowler

It is not long since we have seen the emotional retirement of Morne Morkel and the emotional video of that is still trending on Willow tv. 

People with willow premium account can access it here:

https://www.willow.tv/videos/d5-morkel-farewell-sa-vs-aus-streaming-online-4th-test-australia-tour-of-south-africa

And the recent video of Ishant where he took a wicket for Sussex in his very first spell is trending as well. 

The tale of Ishant Sharma looks similar. They both are fast medium bowlers and both have always been considered only as support bowlers. Morne Morkel was playing second fiddle to Steyn at the beginning of his career and Rabada/Philanderer towards the end.

Ishant was supporting Zaheer Khan (and even Nehra/Sreesanth) in his initial days and now supporting Shami/Bhuvi/Bumrah. 

If we look at the stats of Morne Morkel and Ishant, here are the stats.

Ishant's stats:

Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
Tests Insights on test 81 144 15600 8411 234 7/74 10/108 35.94 3.23 66.6 8 7 1

Morne's stats:

Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
Tests Insights on test 86 160 16498 8550 309 6/23 9/110 27.66 3.10 53.3 18 8 0

While Morne's average and strike rate very better, it is worth noting that their Economy rates are not that different. Also, Ishant has almost same number of five wicket hauls in much lesser innings. We should not forget that while Morne is a second bowler of his side, Ishant is 3rd supporting bowler for team India.

After looking at the galore of trundlers such as Unadkat, Kejroliya, Vinny kumar etc. and even good fast bowlers such as Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron being very occasionally wayward and expensive, we are fortunate to have Ishant Sharma in team India as a good supporting bowler.  His value will be felt only when he finally hangs up his boots in test cricket. 

Edited by sarcastic

After looking at the galore of trundlers such as Unadkat, Kejroliya, Vinny kumar etc. and even good fast bowlers such as Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron being very occasionally wayward and expensive, we are fortunate to have Ishant Sharma in team India as a good supporting bowler.  His value will be felt only when he finally hangs up his boots in test cricket. 

Kejroliya is a trundler? when did he play for India?

Kejroliya is a trundler? when did he play for India?

Yes, he did not play for India yet but there is lot of talk about bringing him since he is a left-arm bowler and we don't have anyone but Unadkut to do that (n he faded away except for T20s). 

My point is that the potential players (or the players who managed a game or two) who bowl Phaast are mostly trundlers. We should be thankful to have an Ishant who could muscle in 135-145 range for a good part in the last decade. This is mostly a counter to people who think he played too many matches. I am saying, the other alternatives (who played/could have played) are even worse and would have failed miserably at international level. That's all. 

Ishant isn't the hero we deserve but the hero we need right now. Just like Valmiki he has turned a new leaf, latter part of his career will read very differently...you read it first here.

Good point. 

I am however surprised that you seem to agree with a poster saying this as a joke. I know you rate Ishant very high. Is n't he comparable to Morne Morkel in relative terms.>> I mean that what Morne is for South Africa (which produces very good fast bowlers) is the same as what Ishant is for India ( which hardly produces good fast bowlers). Do you not agree with the analogy>

Yes, he did not play for India yet but there is lot of talk about bringing him since he is a left-arm bowler and we don't have anyone but Unadkut to do that (n he faded away except for T20s). 

My point is that the potential players (or the players who managed a game or two) who bowl Phaast are mostly trundlers. We should be thankful to have an Ishant who could muscle in 135-145 range for a good part in the last decade. This is mostly a counter to people who think he played too many matches. I am saying, the other alternatives (who played/could have played) are even worse and would have failed miserably at international level. That's all. 

How bowlers who bowl fast are trundlers?

Good point. 

I am however surprised that you seem to agree with a poster saying this as a joke. I know you rate Ishant very high. Is n't he comparable to Morne Morkel in relative terms.>> I mean that what Morne is for South Africa (which produces very good fast bowlers) is the same as what Ishant is for India ( which hardly produces good fast bowlers). Do you not agree with the analogy>

No I don't see it as a joke. I am very much on record as someone who genuinely rates Ishant (the test bowler, not white ball cricket) and agree with your posts on this subject. I will write in detail about him later when I get more time but briefly put Ishant's career till now can be divided into 3 parts:

1. When he 1st broke through (Pak home series, Aus away and home...) he looked like a world class ATG prospect but that changed after the 1st 18 months or so. He is never going to fulfill the initial promise he showed, time to accept that even as a fan.

2. Ishant from 2009-2013: Dark phase. He lost his original action, seam movement, confidence, became too predictably mediocre...also coincided with Dhoni's worst captaincy period where he used our quicks very badly. All quicks suffered, even Zak was crap in 2011-2013 period. Dhoni doesn't know how to groom quick bowling talent and moreover with little support at the other end and ODI mediocrity affecting his test confidence we saw the worst of lambu.

3. Neo Ishant from 2014 onwards: much better. Helped us win Lord's test and gave Wellington test on a platter only for Kohli and co to fluff easy chances, thereby allowing NZ to escape. He missed out in Sydney 2015 and we missed his presence when Umesh-Shami-Bhuvi regularly went for 5-6 rpo and Ash had to play a holding role. That time it was apparent to me about lambu's importance...he may not have picked wickets on that patta but clearly no doubting the control he gives the captain. Again he has impressed me in the home matches as well as SA tour....even if he doesn't pick bucketloads, like Morne he gives vital breakthroughs which disrupts opponent momentum...we saw that quality in both these tough assignments. Now that he doesn't play white ball cricket expect him to further improve as a test bowler. I believe ODI thrashings were taking a toll on his test bowling, kinda like how clay (and Rafa beatdowns) messed up Federer's game on other surfaces. He is eager to improve unlike a few, very hard worker, his county stint too will help (hope it isn't a one off, he needs to play 2 full county seasons like Zak), has a captain who backs quicks, is naturally injury free and entering the age (28 to 33) of a fast bowler's prime when maturity meets experience meets muscle strength meets endurance. This phase of his career will be like Morkel's who btw was pampered on friendyl pitches. Ishant doesn't have the luxury of playing 60% matches on hometurf where spinners play support role....but whatever chances he gets henceforth he will be impressive, as you said he will play the Morkel role to guys like Shami, Bhuvi and Umesh. We will undertstand his importance only after he hangs his boots, he will play the role of the silent unacknowledged diligent office worker overshadowed by more flamboyant peers but they all have their importance for the place to tick.

Edited by Gollum

No I don't see it as a joke. I am very much on record as someone who genuinely rates Ishant (the test bowler, not white ball cricket) and agree with your posts on this subject. I will write in detail about him later when I get more time but briefly put Ishant's career till now can be divided into 3 parts:

1. When he 1st broke through (Pak home series, Aus away and home...) he looked like a world class prospect but that changed after the 1st 18 months or so. He is never going to fulfill the initial promise he showed, time to accept that even as a fan.

2. Ishant from 2009-2013: Dark phase. He lost his original action, seam movement, confidence, became too predictably mediocre...also coincided with Dhoni's worst captaincy period where he used our quicks very badly. All quicks suffered, even Zak was crap in 2011-2013 period. Dhoni doesn't know how to groom quick bowling talent and moreover with little support at the other end and ODI mediocrity affecting his test confidence we saw the worst of lambu.

3. Neo Ishant from 2014 onwards: much better. Helped us win Lord's test and gave Wellington test on a platter only for Kohli and co to fluff easy chances, thereby allowing NZ to escape. He missed out in Sydney 2015 and we missed his presence when Umesh-Shami-Bhuvi regularly went for 5-6 rpo and Ash had to play a holding role. That time it was apparent to me about lambu's importance...he may not have picked wickets on that patta but clearly no doubting the control he gives the captain. Again he has impressed me in the home matches as well as SA tour....even if he doesn't pick bucketloads, like Morne he gives vital breakthroughs which disrupts opponent momentum...we saw that quality in both these tough assignments. Now that he doesn't play white ball cricket expect him to further improve as a test bowler. I believe ODI thrashings were taking a toll on his test bowling, kinda like how clay (and Rafa beatdowns) messed up Federer's game on other surfaces. He is eager to improve unlike a few, very hard worker, his county stint too will help (hope it isn't a one off, he needs to play 2 full county seasons like Zak), has a captain who backs quicks, is naturally injury free and entering the age (28 to 33) of a fast bowler's prime when maturity meets experience meets muscle strength meets endurance. This phase of his career will be like Morkel's who btw was pampered on friendyl pitches. Ishant doesn't have the luxury of playing 60% matches on hometurf where spinners play support role....but whatever chances he gets henceforth he will be impressive, as you said he will play the Morkel role to guys like Shami, Bhuvi and Umesh. We will undertstand his importance only after he hangs his boots, he will play the role of the silent unacknowledged diligent office worker overshadowed by more flamboyant peers but they all have their importance for the place to tick.

Top post this! I take my :hatsoff:to your cricket acumen/understanding!

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

1. When he 1st broke through (Pak home series, Aus away and home...) he looked like a world class ATG prospect but that changed after the 1st 18 months or so. He is never going to fulfill the initial promise he showed, time to accept that even as a fan.

Although it's unfair to compare a top bowler like Morkel with not so great Ishant, I must say that Ishant of 2007-08 > Morkel at his peak.