Are the IPL fan bases complete morons or lack genuine loyalty for their home team?

lebron_fan

Why are the home team fans cheering for the opposite team? Whenever there is a six or wickets in favour of the visiting team you still get equally loud cheers. It seems so absurd and make people in the crowd look so stupid as if they are not even sure about whats going on. I mean after 11 years the crowd should have some sort of loyalty towards their home team. You wont see this sot of behaviour in American leagues or European football. 

Which team seem to have the most loyal supporters? I reckon gotta be KKR. 

Edited by lebron_fan

It's because some of our Indian players have some stature in the eyes of the fans...So even if they are playing for the opposite side, they get support.

Some places like Hyderabad can't get enough cricket and are almost starving for some action. I tell you if csk is at one extreme with very hardcore fans, srh are at the other extreme where the team you support is entirely your whim and fancy. Also both Deccan chargers and srh failed to make the Telugu population connect with srh unlike, Tamils with csk and Bengalis with KKR. As a result everyone supports whomever they take fancy to. One friend supported Mumbai Indians as long as srt played because "sachin's team is his team". Another friend supports csk because they wear yellow like tdp - his political party.

It's like that here...

Many reasons. 

1. Players have shifted teams so many times. If you are a player loyalist, you might end up supporting a different team for your player

2. Most of these are big Cities that are multi-cultural. I remember cheering for CSK in a match at DY Patil stadium and for RR in an RCB vs RR match at Chinnaswamy. It only adds to the fun

Edited by bowl_out

IPL is timepass for indians still. An 'outing' as you guys like to call it.

Team India is still what Indian fans care about. The 'loyal fans'  you see at CSK or RCB are no more loyal to the franchise compared to my neighbours cat to me. They get given flags to wave like a maniac... you can see the crazyness when their own team's wicket has fallen and if they come on the camera they go wild with happiness. Unless there are two tiers with relegation and promotion no one will give a toss about winning or losing. RCB and KXIP have finished last so many times... did anything change? Nada

Unless international cricket goes the same way as football ( limited to World Cups) IPL will always be a timepass entertainment source for Indians.

12 hours ago, lebron_fan said:

Why are the home team fans cheering for the opposite team? Whenever there is a six or wickets in favour of the visiting team you still get equally loud cheers. It seems so absurd and make people in the crowd look so stupid as if they are not even sure about whats going on. I mean after 11 years the crowd should have some sort of loyalty towards their home team. You wont see this sot of behaviour in American leagues or European football. 

Which team seem to have the most loyal supporters? I reckon gotta be KKR. 

When the IPL started out, i.e the first few seasons, people would meet at the games to catch up with their friends. Back in those days, one could smuggle alcohol and/or outside food into the stadia. People would meet post work and unwind. An alternate of sorts to pubs/discs, after all IPL games have DJ's too. Cricket was just background noise. The idea was to have a good time. No one really cared if the 'home' team won or lost.

Things seem to be changing though. Now there are team songs/slogans etc.

Why should they? IPL is a franchise league people are free to support whom they want. I know people who are born and bred in Illinois and don't support Cubs (their local base ball team). If you look not many teams in IPL have too many locals playing for them anyways. CSK built their fan base as lots of local players played for CSK in the first few seasons and MS Dhoni who was the biggest brand in 2008 captained CSK. In the first few seasons, CSK had Vijay, Ashwin, Badri, L Balaji, Aniruddh Srikkanth in their team, the rest of the IPL teams had very few unknown names playing for them. Mumbai probably was another team which had Sachin captain them and few locals playing for them. 

Edited by cricketpitch

On 4/18/2018 at 8:39 AM, sensible-indian said:

You cannot hav much loyalty when teams change every 3 years. 

This!

A fan may have built up some loyalty, but when you don't know whether your team will exist next year, you're not going to have that bond. 

Just enjoy the tamasha and forget about it 20 mins later

On 4/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, sensible-indian said:

You cannot hav much loyalty when teams change every 3 years. 

22 hours ago, Singh bling said:

When regional players from the state's mostly play for others then how can you expect loyality.

THIS !!

I've said this when that fresh auction happened in 2011. Teams changed so much in personnel that it was hard to maintain loyalty among fans. 

In a free auction, the franchises can buy whatever players they want and build the team whichever way they want, but it would be nice for fan loyalty and support if the team personnel remained fairly consistent across many years with a fair representation of local players.

Karnataka has so many good batsmen .. Agarwal, Rahul, Nair, Uthappa, Pandey ... pity not even a single one plays for RCB.

Edited by philcric

i still they should do away with auctions... are the players cattle or something?

Just do pre season and mid season transfer windows. Let players have agents who negotiate a fee and salary with the franchise and whoever the player wants to join he will. Why all this auction tamasha every 3 years.

46 minutes ago, philcric said:

THIS !!

I've said this when that fresh auction happened in 2011. Teams changed so much in personnel that it was hard to maintain loyalty among fans. 

In a free auction, the franchises can buy whatever players they want and build the team whichever way they want, but it would be nice for fan loyalty and support if the team personnel remained fairly consistent across many years with a fair representation of local players.

Karnataka has so many good batsmen .. Agarwal, Rahul, Nair, Uthappa, Pandey ... pity not even a single one plays for RCB.

There should be quota of 3 regional players O/W its better to rename teams like preiti's 11 , Ambani 11 etc.Why to use regional name when you don't have any regional color

1 hour ago, Singh bling said:

There should be quota of 3 regional players O/W its better to rename teams like preiti's 11 , Ambani 11 etc.Why to use regional name when you don't have any regional color

the name is enough i.e punjab

:kp:

Edited by PBN