Jump to content
lebron_fan

Are the IPL fan bases complete morons or lack genuine loyalty for their home team?

Recommended Posts

Why are the home team fans cheering for the opposite team? Whenever there is a six or wickets in favour of the visiting team you still get equally loud cheers. It seems so absurd and make people in the crowd look so stupid as if they are not even sure about whats going on. I mean after 11 years the crowd should have some sort of loyalty towards their home team. You wont see this sot of behaviour in American leagues or European football. 

 

Which team seem to have the most loyal supporters? I reckon gotta be KKR. 

Edited by lebron_fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's because some of our Indian players have some stature in the eyes of the fans...So even if they are playing for the opposite side, they get support.

 

Some places like Hyderabad can't get enough cricket and are almost starving for some action. I tell you if csk is at one extreme with very hardcore fans, srh are at the other extreme where the team you support is entirely your whim and fancy. Also both Deccan chargers and srh failed to make the Telugu population connect with srh unlike, Tamils with csk and Bengalis with KKR. As a result everyone supports whomever they take fancy to. One friend supported Mumbai Indians as long as srt played because "sachin's team is his team". Another friend supports csk because they wear yellow like tdp - his political party.

 

It's like that here...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should evolve some songs or simple one liners...rather just shouting the three letter team acronyms or repeating the player’s name after DJ has egged them on

 

Need to get smarter DJs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many reasons. 

1. Players have shifted teams so many times. If you are a player loyalist, you might end up supporting a different team for your player

 

2. Most of these are big Cities that are multi-cultural. I remember cheering for CSK in a match at DY Patil stadium and for RR in an RCB vs RR match at Chinnaswamy. It only adds to the fun

Edited by bowl_out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPL is timepass for indians still. An 'outing' as you guys like to call it.

 

Team India is still what Indian fans care about. The 'loyal fans'  you see at CSK or RCB are no more loyal to the franchise compared to my neighbours cat to me. They get given flags to wave like a maniac... you can see the crazyness when their own team's wicket has fallen and if they come on the camera they go wild with happiness. Unless there are two tiers with relegation and promotion no one will give a toss about winning or losing. RCB and KXIP have finished last so many times... did anything change? Nada

 

Unless international cricket goes the same way as football ( limited to World Cups) IPL will always be a timepass entertainment source for Indians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lebron_fan said:

Why are the home team fans cheering for the opposite team? Whenever there is a six or wickets in favour of the visiting team you still get equally loud cheers. It seems so absurd and make people in the crowd look so stupid as if they are not even sure about whats going on. I mean after 11 years the crowd should have some sort of loyalty towards their home team. You wont see this sot of behaviour in American leagues or European football. 

 

Which team seem to have the most loyal supporters? I reckon gotta be KKR. 

When the IPL started out, i.e the first few seasons, people would meet at the games to catch up with their friends. Back in those days, one could smuggle alcohol and/or outside food into the stadia. People would meet post work and unwind. An alternate of sorts to pubs/discs, after all IPL games have DJ's too. Cricket was just background noise. The idea was to have a good time. No one really cared if the 'home' team won or lost.

Things seem to be changing though. Now there are team songs/slogans etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should they? IPL is a franchise league people are free to support whom they want. I know people who are born and bred in Illinois and don't support Cubs (their local base ball team). If you look not many teams in IPL have too many locals playing for them anyways. CSK built their fan base as lots of local players played for CSK in the first few seasons and MS Dhoni who was the biggest brand in 2008 captained CSK. In the first few seasons, CSK had Vijay, Ashwin, Badri, L Balaji, Aniruddh Srikkanth in their team, the rest of the IPL teams had very few unknown names playing for them. Mumbai probably was another team which had Sachin captain them and few locals playing for them. 

Edited by cricketpitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 8:39 AM, sensible-indian said:

You cannot hav much loyalty when teams change every 3 years. 

This!

A fan may have built up some loyalty, but when you don't know whether your team will exist next year, you're not going to have that bond. 

 

Just enjoy the tamasha and forget about it 20 mins later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, sensible-indian said:

You cannot hav much loyalty when teams change every 3 years. 

 

22 hours ago, Singh bling said:

When regional players from the state's mostly play for others then how can you expect loyality.

 

THIS !!

 

I've said this when that fresh auction happened in 2011. Teams changed so much in personnel that it was hard to maintain loyalty among fans. 

 

In a free auction, the franchises can buy whatever players they want and build the team whichever way they want, but it would be nice for fan loyalty and support if the team personnel remained fairly consistent across many years with a fair representation of local players.

 

Karnataka has so many good batsmen .. Agarwal, Rahul, Nair, Uthappa, Pandey ... pity not even a single one plays for RCB.

 

 

Edited by philcric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i still they should do away with auctions... are the players cattle or something?

 

Just do pre season and mid season transfer windows. Let players have agents who negotiate a fee and salary with the franchise and whoever the player wants to join he will. Why all this auction tamasha every 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, philcric said:

 

 

THIS !!

 

I've said this when that fresh auction happened in 2011. Teams changed so much in personnel that it was hard to maintain loyalty among fans. 

 

In a free auction, the franchises can buy whatever players they want and build the team whichever way they want, but it would be nice for fan loyalty and support if the team personnel remained fairly consistent across many years with a fair representation of local players.

 

Karnataka has so many good batsmen .. Agarwal, Rahul, Nair, Uthappa, Pandey ... pity not even a single one plays for RCB.

 

 

There should be quota of 3 regional players O/W its better to rename teams like preiti's 11 , Ambani 11 etc.Why to use regional name when you don't have any regional color

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Singh bling said:

There should be quota of 3 regional players O/W its better to rename teams like preiti's 11 , Ambani 11 etc.Why to use regional name when you don't have any regional color

the name is enough i.e punjab

:kp:

Edited by PBN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beetle said:

You report what you find offensive.

i got you message.

 

Its ok for MI to use Derogs against CSK in ICF.

 

Not ok for CSK to respond. ( Apparently CSK fans feel great about the derogatory words that are thrown at them lol) 

 

Message clear. Patronizing and bigoted moderation. 

 

People have objected to your using the word ghati for maharastrians.I don't see any maharastrian using that word  and feeling good about it .

 

What is offensive about lungi when the team csk itself  makes it a part of  their pr excercise

 The south Indian members themselves use it often.

 

As for chuskies...they have been called that forever and I do not understand what that means.

 

If you have objection to the words lungi and chuskies being used....report it.

There are enough south Indian moderators who probably will know better if the words need to be banned.They can decide or take up the issue. Since it is so commonly used by csk fans themselves and south Indian members , I probably do not get it.

 

As for the word ghati...people have complained enough times. The word will be deleted. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

Just call them bambis that's as much an insult as any:p:

i think the message is sent. They will go crying to mods if you hit back, softies. Let them be, dont care anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vilander said:

i got you message.

 

Its ok for MI to use Derogs against CSK in ICF.

 

Not ok for CSK to respond. ( Apparently CSK fans feel great about the derogatory words that are thrown at them lol) 

 

Message clear. Patronizing and bigoted moderation. 

 

You are not just a bigot but also lack basic forum etiquette . A personal message is supposed to be personal message between members. Not that I care ...but shows your class or lack of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, beetle said:

You are not just a bigot but also lack basic forum etiquette . A personal message is supposed to be personal message between members. Not that I care ...but shows your class or lack of it.

serves a bigot right, if one can not deal with a message out in the open for every one to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beetle said:

I couldn't care less about the message...just shows your lack of etiquettes.

i could not care less about what you think, just wanted everyone to see the pathetic bias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beetle said:

What bias?

You mean your stupid logic.

easy there with the abuse, dont get down to abuse if you can not debate a point. I explained what i think as a biased response from you very clearly on our nice chat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chuskies is fine, same as Bambis or Bewdas. But Lungi is not, how about if we call indian women team as Sarees team or Indian men as Dhoties team. How is that not offensive?

 

If Ghatis (Indians from Ghat areas) is offensive then name calling people by their attire is even more so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Chuskies is fine, same as Bambis or Bewdas. But Lungi is not, how about if we call indian women team as Sarees team or Indian men as Dhoties team. How is that not offensive?

 

If Ghatis (Indians from Ghat areas) is offensive then name calling people by their attire is even more so!

Report it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP Dunno what you on about. This thread itself is proof of the bitter rivalry existing between fans of two IPL teams.

I mean look at the kids running to complain to Mods at every chance possible about how the other guys calling them names :finger:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either ban all words like chuskies, lungis, bambis, bewdas or ghatis or whatever it is and make it a level playing field or let it be free for all. Trollers can still troll but they have to use words like CSk or MI or RCB

 

 

This one sided BS is hilarious, simply because of some butthurt, pussy Mumbai Indian fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×