Your top 3 architectural monuments in India

Stradlater

mA India is lucky to be endowed with so many rich architectural marvels. But if you were to choose 3 of em which ones would you go with? 

My top 3 (In no particular order)

1. Khajuraho group of temples

2. Ajanta buddhist caves

3. Forts of Rajasthan (Jaiselmer, Mehrangarh, Chittorgarh, Amber and Kumbhalgarh)

Special mention: Humayun's Tomb 

42 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Kailash temple @ Ellora outclasses Ajanta from an architectural perspective IMHO.  

Damn I forgot about that one. Brilliant piece of work carving a beautiful temple from a single gigantic rock.

Also Now that I remember it, Brihadiswara temple in Tanjaur deserve to be in the list as well.

Damn only 3? From those I have seen from close:

-Sun Temple, Konark

-Dilwara Temple, Mt Abu

-Airavateswara Temple, Kumbakonam (IMO many tourists miss this gem, even more sophisticated than Brihadeswara Temple of Tanjore and Mahabalipuram Shore Temples)

Will be unfair to put Khajuraho, Ajanta, Ellora, Elephanta, Fatehpur Sikri etc because I have never been to those places and IMO google images can't do justice to the beauty of these places. 

@Stradlater kam se kam 6-8 ka option toh de dete bhai....there are 100s of outstanding monuments, I feel guilty for leaving out gems like Taj Mahal, Victoria Memorial, Hampi, Sravanabelagola, Agra/Jodhpur/Chittorgarh/Jaisalmer/Golconda Forts etc. Oh man we have so much potential in the tourism industry, not just culture but also nature/wildlife/adventure sports......easily a 50 bn US $ sector (plus direct/indirect employment of a few million people) lying idle waiting to be explored. When I see an ordinary, boring place like Hong Kong raking in so many tourists, humare India ke potential ka toh limit hi nahi hai boss. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

-Sun Temple, Konark

-Dilwara Temple, Mt Abu

-Airavateswara Temple, Kumbakonam (IMO many tourists miss this gem, even more sophisticated than Brihadeswara Temple of Tanjore and Mahabalipuram Shore Temples)

Will be unfair to put Khajuraho, Ajanta, Ellora, Elephanta, Fatehpur Sikri etc because I have never been to those places and IMO google images can't do justice to the beauty of these places. 

@Stradlater kam se kam 6-8 ka option toh de dete bhai....there are 100s of outstanding monuments, I feel guilty for leaving out gems like Taj Mahal, Victoria Memorial, Hampi, Sravanabelagola, Agra/Jodhpur/Chittorgarh/Jaisalmer/Golconda Forts etc. Oh man we have so much potential in the tourism industry, not just culture but also nature/wildlife/adventure sports......easily a 50 bn US $ sector (plus direct/indirect employment of a few million people) lying idle waiting to be explored. When I see an ordinary, boring place like Hong Kong raking in so many tourists, humare India ke potential ka toh limit hi nahi hai boss. 

LMAO I realize my mistake now. Should have went for top 10 instead.

Also Islamic architecture in India is world class as well. Probably one of the finest in the world. I love their jaali works and calligraphy on stones.

43 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

LMAO I realize my mistake now. Should have went for top 10 instead.

Also Islamic architecture in India is world class as well. Probably one of the finest in the world. I love their jaali works and calligraphy on stones.

Agree, beautiful. I don't know how our Islamic architecture compares with the likes of Iran, Turkey, Egypt, Central Asia etc, will leave that to @Mariyam to answer because I am pretty sure she has visited all those countries !!!

Based on my experience our Islamic monuments are exquisite but they are all in places where the general level of hygiene is quite poor. Also some of the places are quite scary for those not used to Muslim ghettos/narrow lanes/burqa costumes.....somehow people in such areas look hostile to me, very aggressive and suspicious, not to forget all amidst a stinking pile of mess. Jama Masjid Delhi, Ajmer Dargah (my mom refused to proceed any further beyond a distance because of fear), Char Minar and Mecca Masjid, Hazarduari Palace etc are some examples...although I loved all these places from pov of beauty the surrounding atmosphere didn't allow me to cherish the experience as well as I would have wanted, it was always about finish the sightseeing  jaldi se jaldi and GTFO ASAP mode. Although the ASI and govts maintain these places the nearby ghettos need to up their game. Places like Chowmahala Palace, Salar Jung Museum, Golconda Fort, Qutb Shahi Tombs though in Muslim dominated areas are much more welcoming. I am pretty sure that many people may also find Hindu (not Sikh, Jain, Buddhist I presume) places intimidating + filthy eg Jagannath Puri, Kamakhya Temple, Dakshineshwar Kali, Kalighat, Banaras  etc still they are limited to certain geographical areas while in case of Islamic spots it is pan India, including South India.

I am not castigating any group here, just feel that because of issues like fear of safety, hygiene and local's attitude towards tourists we lag behind others. Bas swachch India aur safe India bana do, automatically kam se kam tourist sector ko toh boost milega. 

Edited by Gollum

Not in any particular order

1. Elephanta caves

2. Konark temple

3. Agra fort (not been to many forts in the north) After going inside the Agra fort I realized what grandeur it had possessed centuries ago. The place where Mughals kept the peacock throne, the pillars & the walls studded with precious stones in the past, great many stories associated with it.

Love the gopuram in the temples of South India, the way the structure has been designed. Shravanbelagola, Badami, Pattadkal, Meenakshi Amman temple are just fab.

24 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Agree, beautiful. I don't know how our Islamic architecture compares with the likes of Iran, Turkey, Egypt, Central Asia etc, will leave that to @Mariyam to answer because I am pretty sure she has visited all those countries !!!

Based on my experience our Islamic monuments are exquisite but they are all in places where the general level of hygiene is quite poor. Also some of the places are quite scary for those not used to Muslim ghettos/narrow lanes/burqa costumes.....somehow people in such areas look hostile to me, very aggressive and suspicious, not to forget all amidst a stinking pile of mess. Jama Masjid Delhi, Ajmer Dargah (my mom refused to proceed any further beyond a distance because of fear), Char Minar and Mecca Masjid, Hazarduari Palace etc are some examples...although I loved all these places from pov of beauty the surrounding atmosphere didn't allow me to cherish the experience as well as I would have wanted, it was always about finish the sightseeing  jaldi se jaldi and GTFO ASAP mode. Although the ASI and govts maintain these places the nearby ghettos need to up their game. Places like Chowmahala Palace, Salar Jung Museum, Golconda Fort, Qutb Shahi Tombs though in Muslim dominated areas are much more welcoming. I am pretty sure that many people may also find Hindu (not Sikh, Jain, Buddhist I presume) places intimidating + filthy eg Jagannath Puri, Kamakhya Temple, Dakshineshwar Kali, Kalighat, Banaras  etc still they are limited to certain geographical areas while in case of Islamic spots it is pan India, including South India.

I am not castigating any group here, just feel that because of issues like fear of safety, hygiene and local's attitude towards tourists we lag behind others. Bas swachch India aur safe India bana do, automatically kam se kam tourist sector ko toh boost milega. 

I can relate to the Ajmer Dargah incident. Those guys there are really menacing lol. I think Delhi and Fatehpur Sikri(to an extent) are the two places which are relatively quite safe and clean. Not to mention the amazing structures.

I really loved the Humayun's tomb. Magnificent building.

6 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

I can relate to the Ajmer Dargah incident. Those guys there are really menacing lol. I think Delhi and Fatehpur Sikri(to an extent) are the two places which are relatively quite safe and clean. Not to mention the amazing structures.

I really loved the Humayun's tomb. Magnificent building.

I missed Humayun's Tomb, will check it out next time I visit the capital and also pay my respects to Dara Shikoh. 

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I missed Humayun's Tomb, will check it out next time I visit the capital and also pay my respects to Dara Shikoh. 

Dara was the real deal. A true secular and a genuine nice guy. India's History would have been different had he been the King instead of that bloodthirsty fanatic.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

-Sun Temple, Konark

-Dilwara Temple, Mt Abu

You've been to Delwara temple? It's so grand! I don't think we have such great craftsmen left today. 

25 minutes ago, MechEng said:

You've been to Delwara temple? It's so grand! I don't think we have such great craftsmen left today. 

Yup during a family tour to Rajasthan when I was in 7th standard, outstanding yet so under rated. It was my no 1 moment in the whole Rajasthan trip, in fact a year later when I saw Taj Mahal I felt it was grossly over hyped compared to Dilwara temple. How is it possible to have such intricate carvings on marble? The only similar level of sculpture on marble I have seen is Veiled Rebecca in Salar Jung Museum but that is only 1 statue, Dilwara has 1000 such sculptures, many even miniature with scarcely believable sophistication. 

Edited by Gollum

47 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Dilwara is simply breathtaking. Dunno if you visited Ranakpur Jain temples as well @Gollum ? Very underrated and on par with Dilwara imo.

No. Images are lovely, you been there?

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, Moochad said:

Many of the Maratha forts in Maharashtra, Karnataka are engineering and strategic marvels in my mind.

Somnath Temple I visited one time, you get a otherworldly feeling going there.

Golden Temple is also awesome! 

Golden temple is pretty cool. The whole atmosphere is so soothing and calm. I felt so relaxed and at ease being there with all the bhajans playing on.

An absolutely beautiful place.