If League-based Cricket (IPL/ICL) supplants International Cricket..

Gambit

If League-based Cricket (IPL/ICL) supplants International Cricket..  

1. 1.

• International Cricket being #1 with IPL as a circus on the side
    • IPL league format with an international ODI WC every 4 years
    • Just IPL cricket(tests,ODIs,20/20)

and do away with international cricket altogether(maybe a world cup every 4 years), would cricket still hold as much interest for you as it does now? Just imagine. A league format based similar to the English Premier League(football). Around 10 teams full of Indian and international cricketers competing for the IPL trophy every year. Is that something that appeals to people here or would you rather have international cricket like we have today with countries touring each other, playing 3-5 tests per series and some ODIs/20-20s? Personally, if international cricket was done away with, my interest in cricket would seriously wane to extremely indifferent levels.

I definitely like the new idea / format of IPL. Time is money. In this busy world, you can spend a maximum of 3 or 4 hours for entertainment. So, go have fun in the stadium after your office hours the hit the bed by 12:00 Midnight. So my vote is for IPL.

I definitely like the new idea / format of IPL. Time is money. In this busy world' date=' you can spend a maximum of 3 or 4 hours for entertainment. So, go have fun in the stadium after your office hours the hit the bed by 12:00 Midnight. So my vote is for IPL.[/quote'] Yeah, we like to giggle too, but only sometimes. For the main entree, we want TEST cricket!

Yeah, we like to giggle too, but only sometimes. For the main entree, we want TEST cricket!
so do you really want test cricket or 5 day cricket. There is no reason that IPL with top brand players cant provide better quality 'test' cricket than a game between India (of the 90's) and say a Zim team. So question really is, is club/city allegiance really that bad? Here in the states we enjoy baseball/football and it is purely club based. The Giants win gave me almost as much enjoyment as India's perth win. Who is to say we wont get to like IPL .. assuming it is expanded to have other formats of the game.

cp, what i want is high quality 5 day cricket - something like what i saw between ind and aus in 2004 and again in this series 2008 (barring incompetent and biased umpiring)
So why do we think that a 5 day 'test' between Mumbai whatever featuring Tendulkar, Ponting, Warne, Blee vs Delhi whatever featuring Kallis, Flintoff, Ntini, Youhana etc wont be as gripping? See point is we can come to love franchises as much as we love the franchises here in the US