Gautam Gambhir was dropped from Team India because of his 'attitude problem', says Sandeep Patil

Gollum

Sandeep Patil: Gambhir was India's primary choice as opener when they toured England in 2011. However, Gambhir took a blow to his head during the series and decided to return home. "I used to be the Director of the NCA during that period. I was in shock when I saw the reports of the physio and the doctors, who confirmed that his injury was not serious at all, and he should have continued in that series.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/-gautam-gambhir-seems-angry-with-me-even-today-1222473-2018-04-28

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/relations-with-gambhir-soured-after-his-ouster-from-team-sandeep-patil-1732667.html

http://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/report-gautam-gambhir-was-dropped-from-team-india-because-of-his-attitude-problem-says-sandeep-patil-2609588

This is shocking tbh, Sandeep Patil seems to indicate that GG faked the injury after taking a blow on the head. Many of us on ICF too had similar suspicion that time. To make matters worse even Bhajji faked a stomach injury after going for 0/200 and getting manhandled by KP. We had many injuries on that tour and the then no 1 team had to make the keeper bowl (Cool :phehe:), Yuvi as frontline spinner :facepalm:, Dravid as opener after carrying the bat etc....nightmare of a tour that !!!! Hate fakers, especially sportsmen who do it when they are under the pump and unable to deal with adversity, even Dhawan pulled a similar stunt in Brisbane 2014 which messed our batting order and led us to an unexpected defeat from a good position. Need to come down hard on such fakers, need real men in our team and not pansies. 

Edited by Gollum

Also quit his county stint with Essex in 2013 and returned home before his contract expired. Even though he score a century for Essex, I guess he is not confident about playing in England 

Or may be didn't want to put in the hard yards. Expected callback just like that on the basis of his past reputation. 

Sandeep Patil was NCA director from 2010-12 and Chairman of Selectors from 2012-16, so clearly his words matter. Faking an injury that too when your team is struggling is the lowest of all lows, Swann retired mid series when his team was under Johnson's ambush and that was quite pathetic. In spite of all this Patil did give GG several breaks in all 3 formats when he was chief selector, as we know the southpaw couldn't capitalize. 

Sandeep Patil: Gambhir was India's primary choice as opener when they toured England in 2011. However, Gambhir took a blow to his head during the series and decided to return home. "I used to be the Director of the NCA during that period. I was in shock when I saw the reports of the physio and the doctors, who confirmed that his injury was not serious at all, and he should have continued in that series.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/-gautam-gambhir-seems-angry-with-me-even-today-1222473-2018-04-28

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/relations-with-gambhir-soured-after-his-ouster-from-team-sandeep-patil-1732667.html

http://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/report-gautam-gambhir-was-dropped-from-team-india-because-of-his-attitude-problem-says-sandeep-patil-2609588

This is shocking tbh, Sandeep Patil seems to indicate that GG faked the injury after taking a blow on the head. Many of us on ICF too had similar suspicion that time. To make matters worse even Bhajji faked a stomach injury after going for 0/200 and getting manhandled by KP. We had many injuries on that tour and the then no 1 team had to make the keeper bowl (Cool :phehe:), Yuvi as frontline spinner :facepalm:, Dravid as opener after carrying the bat etc....nightmare of a tour that !!!! Hate fakers, especially sportsmen who do it when they are under the pump and unable to deal with adversity, even Dhawan pulled a similar stunt in Brisbane 2014 which messed our batting order and led us to an unexpected defeat from a good position. Need to come down hard on such fakers, need real men in our team and not pansies. 

I don't know if GG faked it but I will not doubt the commitment of GG. He has been exemplary in the way he supports the Indian army and the way he resigned from his captaincy post in DD. Also, I remember how he passed his MOM to a youngster for his improvement. 

Let us respect GG for what he gave us. I surely understand that he is a hot-headed guy and has ego issues with everyone who is also a leader material such as MSD, Viru etc. 

I don't know if GG faked it but I will not doubt the commitment of GG. He has been exemplary in the way he supports the Indian army and the way he resigned from his captaincy post in DD. Also, I remember how he passed his MOM to a youngster for his improvement. 

Let us respect GG for what he gave us. I surely understand that he is a hot-headed guy and has ego issues with everyone who is also a leader material such as MSD, Viru etc. 

Of late this "aggression" has become the epitome of the modern cricketer. When GG quit (and thats what he did - quit), Dravid and Laxman had to pick up the slack from him and a 38 year old Dravid did more than what was expected. Dravid had more aggression IMO he just didnt say MC BC to express how much aggression he had.

Notice Sachin didnt move from his no.4 spot. Even Saurav went in no.4 to shield sachin in a match. Our team had a lot of selfish cricketers and this had to be made public otherwise we are never gonna be a team like Australia and West Indies was. As far as GG supported the Indian army does he go in and fight with the Indian army. Hypocrites.

PS: Dravid had enough integrity to quit after the failed Australia series which was the first time he wasnt among the runs after a whirlwind tour of england

Edited by Garuda

Of late this "aggression" has become the epitome of the modern cricketer. When GG quit (and thats what he did - quit), Dravid and Laxman had to pick up the slack from him and a 38 year old Dravid did more than what was expected. Dravid had more aggression IMO he just didnt say MC BC to express how much aggression he had.

Notice Sachin didnt move from his no.4 spot. Even Saurav went in no.4 to shield sachin in a match. Our team had a lot of selfish cricketers and this had to be made public otherwise we are never gonna be a team like Australia and West Indies was. As far as GG supported the Indian army does he go in and fight with the Indian army. Hypocrites.

PS: Dravid had enough integrity to quit after the failed Australia series which was the first time he wasnt among the runs after a whirlwind tour of england

Why do u type rubbish if he was so selfish and doesn't want to change his batting order . Why did he came at 4 in odi and let ganguli and Sehwag open in odi.

Why do u type rubbish if he was so selfish and doesn't want to change his batting order . Why did he came at 4 in odi and let ganguli and Sehwag open in odi.

That's the only thing you have problem with. We are talking about GG faking an injury when the going got tough. Coming in at no.4 in a few ODIs is not some great achievement. Im talking about tests when GG went home, Dravid opened and Sachin failed to move to no.3. Laxman had to come in at no.3. 

That's the only thing you have problem with. We are talking about GG faking an injury when the going got tough. Coming in at no.4 in a few ODIs is not some great achievement. Im talking about tests when GG went home, Dravid opened and Sachin failed to move to no.3. Laxman had to come in at no.3. 

That was sad to watch. Dravid carried his bat and was exhausted yet he came again to open. Sachin vehemently refused to open that innings to give Dravid time to rest, very selfish thing to do. Also in that series Dravid was wrongly adjudged caught behind (ball hit his shoe laces) and wanted to review but SRT stopped him because he wanted review for himself, Sachin of 2011-13 was the most selfish cricketer the world has ever seen, quite unlike the 90s version.

Supporting Indian Army has nothing to do with his cricket exploits. You can be a patriot yet a quitter in your personal/professional life....I don't see any link between these 2. Yes GG has done some admirable selfless things in cricket like you mentioned and I sympathized with him when Dhoni used him as a punching bag in 2012 CB series to deflect blame from our poor performance, he was not given his dues. But if what Sandeep Patil is telling is true, may be we will have to re evaluate GG's character. He didn't pull this stunt in a circus T20 league or exho match. He did this when we were getting our asses kicked in the battle for no 1 spot in test cricket, in the most hyped up and high profile test series that year.

That was sad to watch. Dravid carried his bat and was exhausted yet he came again to open. Sachin vehemently refused to open that innings to give Dravid time to rest, very selfish thing to do. Also in that series Dravid was wrongly adjudged caught behind (ball hit his shoe laces) and wanted to review but SRT stopped him because he wanted review for himself, Sachin of 2011-13 was the most selfish cricketer the world has ever seen, quite unlike the 90s version.

I dont care for Greg Chapell and his coaching methods but he focused on youth and asked the senoirs to show more responsibility by batting up in tests and down in ODIs. We would have won a lot of matches if Dravid opened and Sachin batted at one down in tests. In the 90s, we would see Dravid at 1/1 and Sachin 11/2 they would have atleast saved a wicket by batting up.

The best batsman in most countries batted at no.3. Don Bradman, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Steve Smith, etc

So it made him selfish and how do u exactly know he wasv unwilling  to move at 3, May be laxman had no issue to move at 3. Do u have any link to prove or it's just us hate to Sachin which is popping out.