Time for President's Rule in West Bangladesh was yesterday

surajmal

Death toll rises to 12, dozens raped, ballot boxes burnt and thrown into water bodies, machete wielding TMC cadre guard polling booths, bombs set on BSF personnel who came to restore law and order....
Kashmir is more peaceful than this *hole of a state during election time.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/west-bengal-panchayat-elections-live-updates-mamata-banerjee-tmc-cpm-bjp-5175389/.

Media more interested in tomorrow's K'taka results. TMC leaders patting their backs over a job well done....is this democracy? You can imagine the plight when BJP, Left and Congress are sharing the same platform to condemn TMC goons.

Edited by Gollum

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Death toll up to 22 now. This should be the number 1 news now, shame on TMC and Mamata.

You try pointing that out to Bengali intellectuals and they would start reminding you about the societal ills prevalent in the BEMARU state you come from.

I would take dowry system and child marriage over this.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:25 AM, Number said:

And Bong intellectuals are busy solving problems of entire country/world except their own state. 

This is so true ,bong intellectuals (once upon a time ingrained with knowledge and righteous methods ) now are the biggest chews and psecs one can imagine . They assume they are living in a euotpic world 

P.s,I am a Bengali myself 

Edited by adi B

31 minutes ago, adi B said:

This is so true ,bong intellectuals (once upon a time ingrained with knowledge and righteous methods ) now are the biggest chews and psecs one can imagine . They assume they are living in a euotpic world 

P.s,I am a Bengali myself 

I hope you guys regain the same status you once had. I remember we did a skit in our office about what India is. I had represented the state of WB. THey are nothing of what i learnt about the state now. 

India and Indians need to wake up to the TMC strategy, because if not checked, it will come to rule the whole of India.

How does Mamata get away with all this you ask ? The answer is simple.

Mamata has figured out how to appease muslims and win over a huge chunk of hindu votes as well. The strategy is simple - favor muslims and speak in pro-Islam fashion to get the muslim vote, then make yourself a crusader for farmer's plight. Every year, TMC gives the farmers anywhere between 500-1000 rupees tax cut/tax-write offs and such. Its a small chunk of change, but farmers in India live in such poverty that they will always vote for the party that gives them even a single penny. 

So what do you have, in India, when you can corner the muslim + farmer vote ? Trinamool. And unless other parties wake up to the dangers of such a political party, it will come to rule India one day.

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

India and Indians need to wake up to the TMC strategy, because if not checked, it will come to rule the whole of India.

How does Mamata get away with all this you ask ? The answer is simple.

Mamata has figured out how to appease muslims and win over a huge chunk of hindu votes as well. The strategy is simple - favor muslims and speak in pro-Islam fashion to get the muslim vote, then make yourself a crusader for farmer's plight. Every year, TMC gives the farmers anywhere between 500-1000 rupees tax cut/tax-write offs and such. Its a small chunk of change, but farmers in India live in such poverty that they will always vote for the party that gives them even a single penny. 

So what do you have, in India, when you can corner the muslim + farmer vote ? Trinamool. And unless other parties wake up to the dangers of such a political party, it will come to rule India one day.

I think more than Indians, Bengali Hindus need to wake up. Also there is the issue of political violence and booth capturing that has become 2nd nature to politics in that state, so even a mood shift among the voters won't immediately translate to electoral results on the ground. You saw the farce of Panchayat elections there, right? How can TMC ever be beaten in such an atmosphere? And who will ensure the polling process there is fair, we need a more ruthless version of TN Seshan to be a given a free run as CEC for 15-20 years at least before some level of normalcy can be brought about in Bengal elections. Unfortunately I don't see anyone like that on the horizon. I assure you man, even Kashmir (post 1987) of all states has a fairer, less violent election process albeit the voter turnout there is extremely low. 

Coming to Hindu-Muslim issues, Bengal has been divided on religious grounds twice (1905 and 1947) and partition violence plus Direct Action Day/Noakhali left deep scars on the psyche of Bengali Hindus. In fact Muslim League was founded by the Nawab of Dacca in Dacca, for the most parts the struggle for Pakistan was courtesy the Bengali Muslims. 1971 was another setback for Bengal which had to accommodate over 10 million refugees thanks to genocide of the Hindu population in East Pakistan. There were ofc many Bengali Muslim collaborators in 1971, it wasn't just to do with Pak Army. Hindu population fell from 22% (1947) to 13.5%(1974) and is now in single digits. Even Bangladeshi academicians have forecasted a very grim future outlook about the plight of Hindus in Bangladesh  HERE. What I am trying to get at is that Bengali Muslims don't seem to like the Hindus all that much, they didn't even participate in the freedom struggle while Bengali Hindus took the major brunt. They are playing along now but when the opportune moment strikes there will be ruthless persecution of the Hindus. Muslim population in Bengal has risen from 19.85% (1951) to 27% (2011) courtesy Islamic views on family planning and illegal immigration. Now illegal immigration may well have slowed down but TFR of Bengal's Hindu women is below replacement level while for Muslims in the state it is above 3.5 (exact situation as Assam of 10 years back). In Assam we saw Muslim population rise from 30 to 34% in the 2001-2011 period. Empirical analysis points at Muslim population in Bengal as close to 30% already, will be clear in 2021 census. Assam is predicted to be a Muslim majority state in 40 years time and Bengal will have close to 40% Muslim population by 2061. This is irreversible as long as TFR of Bengali Muslim women isn't brought down dramatically and presently they are averse to doing that. They sense the changing tide and hence are doubling up on their efforts to get more political mileage in the state. In the last 3 years itself there have been more than 30 major communal riots, all one sided against local Hindus. 

I don't foresee another partition so the next generation of Bengalis will have to learn to live with their state's  demography, now this can be a sorry state of affairs for non Muslims as evidenced by any place on Planet Earth with this kind of Muslim-Non Muslim balance. In this sort of situation I think a right wing Hindu party (with Bengali orientation, no compromise with language) is the only way out to mitigate the impending doom. I don't see BJP/RSS type organizations ticking here because they want to impose Hindi and cow belt culture rather than respecting Bengali culture, and as history teaches us Bengalis are fiercely loyal to their culture. Will such a change occur? I hope so but we can't beat around the bush any longer and there should be a holistic change in political view across the social/economic/geographical spectrum of Hindus in that state.

Edited by Gollum

13 minutes ago, zen said:

Did not imagine things are so bad in India .... The basic right of using the ballot can get one in to trouble (life altering / ending for many) 

It's only a problem in Bengal and has been a recurring issue there for over 45 years. Elections even in insurgency hit regions of India get conducted peacefully. We had Karnataka polls recently, did you hear/read about any violence?

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Muslim population in Bengal has risen from 19.85% (1951) to 27% (2011) courtesy Islamic views on family planning and illegal immigration. Now illegal immigration may well have slowed down but TFR of Bengal's Hindu women is below replacement level while for Muslims in the state it is above 3.5 (exact situation as Assam of 10 years back). In Assam we saw Muslim population rise from 30 to 34% in the 2001-2011 period. Empirical analysis points at Muslim population in Bengal as close to 30% already, will be clear in 2021 census. Assam is predicted to be a Muslim majority state in 40 years time and Bengal will have close to 40% Muslim population by 2061. This is irreversible as long as TFR of Bengali Muslim women isn't brought down dramatically and presently they are averse to doing that. They sense the changing tide and hence are doubling up on their efforts to get more political mileage in the state. In the last 3 years itself there have been more than 30 major communal riots, all one sided against local Hindus. 

What I don't understand How come Bengali Hindu population is declining in both East and West Bengal.Are they converting to Islam?.At the start of century they were 33% of East Bengal  and now just 9.6%  so I am assuming they migrated to West Bengal .But West Bengal population of Muslims also increased.So where they are disappearing.TFR decline among religions was not much different upto 60s and 70s 

9 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

What I don't understand How come Bengali Hindu population is declining in both East and West Bengal.Are they converting to Islam?.At the start of century they were 33% of East Bengal  and now just 9.6%  so I am assuming they migrated to West Bengal .But West Bengal population of Muslims also increased.So where they are disappearing.TFR decline among religions was not much different upto 60s and 70s 

In East Bengal-> genocide, migration, forceful conversion, low TFR...so those figures are understandable.

In West Bengal not much converting from what I've seen, huge difference in TFR plus illegal immigration for vote bank. Similar to Assam, in fact following the same trajectory...both states have abnormally low TFR for Hindu women. Another thing may be educated urban youth of these 2 states settling in other states (Bengal, Assam are laggards in secondary and tertiary sectors), among rural class the outward migration of Hindus and Muslims more or less cancel each other out. 

6 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Hindus in West Bengal owing to their superior intellectual brain prowess spent their lives solving the problems of other states and in the process forgot to procreate themselves. 

5 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

Situation in Bengal is very concerning. 

There seems to be no good alternative except BJP there. 

Hypothetically speaking, will they deliver if they win?

Don't know whether they will deliver or not but they are the only alternative. But as I said in another post I would prefer a Bengali version of BJP (with some modifications) develop intrinsically in the state that would be sustainable in the long run. Even if cow belt BJP comes to power they are only going to piss off many true blue Bengalis and hence will only make the other parties stronger in the long run. Or BJP needs to repackage itself accordingly like they have done in North East: no Hindi promotion, no food restrictions, no Ram Naam, no cowmata............

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

In East Bengal-> genocide, migration, forceful conversion, low TFR...so those figures are understandable.

In West Bengal not much converting from what I've seen, huge difference in TFR plus illegal immigration for vote bank. Similar to Assam, in fact following the same trajectory...both states have abnormally low TFR for Hindu women. Another thing may be educated urban youth of these 2 states settling in other states (Bengal, Assam are laggards in secondary and tertiary sectors), among rural class the outward migration of Hindus and Muslims more or less cancel each other out. 

I am taking Bengal as whole .If in East Bengal Hindu's are attacked then they must fleed to West Bengal , which results in increase in Hindu population of West Bengal .If East Bengali Muslims are illegally immigrating to West Bengal then population of Muslims should have been decline in Bangladesh.But unfortunately in both areas population of Hindu's declined which is very surprising

Genocide may affect population , but it's affect in Bengal's case could be 1-2 %  But decline in Hindu population is at very large rate.So either they are converting or tfr is very low

On 5/2/2018 at 11:03 PM, Muloghonto said:

We need far more than just president's rule. We need something like a landslide victory for a Bengali version of right wing hindu group for an election cycle or two that also hates the concept of Gorkhaland.

BJP/RSS types wont cut it - we are not the same hindustani types with 'patit-pavan-sita-ram' ideology. 

Their brand of right wing hinduism is not gonna inspire Bongs, nor will it do any good.

We need the Michael Madhusudhan Datt or Bankim Chandra type of right-wing-ism.

Typical bong intellectual. :p:

Beggars can't be choosers. You can wait forever for right kind of right wing-ism. :rotfl: