Question for Meat Eaters: Do you find difference in taste of Halal and Jhatka meat?

Alam_dar

In India Jhatka meat and Halal meat both are available. 

So question is if you feel difference of taste or not?

As far as I am concerned, I ate Halal whole of my life. 

It was a big exam for me to eat non-Halal meat, even after leaving Islam. I changed my religion, but I was unable to change my habits. 

Any how, at some point I succeeded in eating non-Halal meat too. 

And I immediately found a difference in taste of non-Halal meat. 

Later I came to know about the scientific reason too for this difference of taste. Slaughtering in Halal/Kosher way means drainage of lot of blood, while non-Halal means much more blood stays in the meat. 

Since I ate Halal whole of my life, therefore it was difficult for me to agree with the taste of non-Halal meat. I think I still prefer the meat without any blood. 

So, what is your experience with it?

when comes to mutton ( sheep , goat etc  ) , they drain the blood for preparing other recipies using blood ( blood intestine , blood curry etc ) ..

so in the end , end product is same..

not sure abt chicken tastes 

when comes to mutton ( sheep , goat etc  ) , they drain the blood for preparing other recipies using blood ( blood intestine , blood curry etc ) ..

so in the end , end product is same..

not sure abt chicken tastes 

I never saw it in Pakistan as "blood" is Haram in the Muslim religion. 

Quran 6:145

Say, "I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine - for indeed, it is impure 

Anyhow, I know that Europeans are making sausages from the blood of swine. I also saw thai dishes using the frozen blood cubes. And there are old tribes in the world who are drinking blood from the fresh kill. 

But, it is surprising to me to know that in India blood of sheep is used to make dishes. 

Edited by Alam_dar

Do they have to drain the blood while the animal is alive or do they do it after it is dead? 

Blood is drained only when the animal is alive and moving it's feet in pain.

Alive means that blood is still warm. Death of animal means that blood has become cold and could not flow.

It may sounds horrible, but this is the life, which is cruel. 

This practice of draining blood is not limited to Islam or Judaism, but if I am not mistaken, then the ancient hunters also knew that blood free meat tastes better. Therefore, they also slit the veins in throat and let the animal bleed. 

Blood is drained only when the animal is alive and moving it's feet in pain.

Alive means that blood is still warm. Death of animal means that blood has become cold and could not flow.

It may sounds horrible, but this is the life, which is cruel. 

This practice of draining blood is not limited to Islam or Judaism, but if I am not mistaken, then the ancient hunters also knew that blood free meat tastes better. Therefore, they also slit the veins in throat and let the animal bleed. 

somewhere i read that animals about to die generates lots of lactic acid , and this gives soem sour taste and the meat will go stale sooner ( will result in poisoning ) ..

so it is better to drain the blood which will remove the lactic acid as well ..

Many of the abattoirs and slaughter houses are run by Muslims. So most of the time the meat is halal.

However, there are slaughter houses not run by Muslims and the main difference, in my limited experience;

If you were to try a tandoori dish or a Kebab or a Kashmiri Goshtaba, the halal meat is a lot crispier and tastier.

If you were to try a 'fuller' dish, like a haleem, a nihari or a even a rogan josh the jhatka meat is a lot more succulent.

In the UK there is no difference in taste between halal and normal chicken and meat 

In the chicken abitoirs they are first stunned by passing through either a gas chamber of by electrified water bath , if normal killing it's by mechanical rotary blade of the chickens throat then it travels  around with blood dripping until reaching the scolding tank tank which it passes through to loosen the feathers .

Halal is exactly the same except instead of rotary blade it's done by hand with a knife to the throat and each chicken receives a prayer .

Cows and sheep are stunned and throat cut by knives for normal and halal 

The same amount of blood loss for both halal and normal killing for chicken, sheep and cow 

18 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

I never saw it in Pakistan as "blood" is Haram in the Muslim religion. 

Quran 6:145

Say, "I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be a dead animal or blood spilled out or the flesh of swine - for indeed, it is impure 

Anyhow, I know that Europeans are making sausages from the blood of swine. I also saw thai dishes using the frozen blood cubes. And there are old tribes in the world who are drinking blood from the fresh kill. 

But, it is surprising to me to know that in India blood of sheep is used to make dishes. 

Yesterday I saw a view of a pahadi dish called bhunni....never knew about this.

30 minutes ago, beetle said:

I saw similar thai dish too, using the frozen blood cubes. 

Nevertheless, in Pakistan I have never seen anyone using blood. 

But on the other hand, there is a lot of blood in liver/heart and even after washing it many times some blood still remains there and keep on coming out from inside the organs. 

Organs:

No doubt, they are the power house. Normal meat is no where near to them when it comes to the nutrition. 

All predators go for the organs first after the kill instinctively. Wolves are eating the lining of the stomach too (but I have no idea about it as I never ate them). 

59 minutes ago, beetle said:

this dish is quite popular in our area esp western tamilnadu ..  direct translation is blood + liver + intestine poriyal 

preperaton is ditto same ..

other variation is blood + liver + meat  , which will be exclusively prepared by our butcher ( not prepared in our homes ) and distributed to all the families in the native village..

29 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Thank God I am veg, blood freaks me out. 

watch apocalypto twice , you will lose fear ..

anywya i myself despise blood and wound ( and i still despise )  , when i refused to take biology  in my 11th all my parents parivar came to me and advised me how medicine as a profession is better than engineering :phehe: 

25 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

Organs:

No doubt, they are the power house. Normal meat is no where near to them when it comes to the nutrition. 

All predators go for the organs first after the kill instinctively. Wolves are eating the lining of the stomach too (but I have no idea about it as I never ate them). 

damn .. i take only liver and dont touch other organs   

bone marrow tastes good as well ..