Kohli to play for Surrey in June

Surrey have confirmed the signing of India's captain Virat Kohli for the month of June so ending months of anticipation that he would use the county circuit to warm up for the Test series against England in August.

Kohli will become the fourth Test-eligible Indian player in county cricket this year with fellow batsman Cheteshwar Pujara currently at Yorkshire and seamers Ishant Sharma and Varun Aaron representing Division Two clubs Sussex and Leicestershire respectively.

Although there have been a few voices decrying the fact that Surrey have given Kohli useful acclimatisation ahead of India's Test series in the country this summer, the vast majority of followers of England's professional circuit will welcome the additional publicity and status it is bound to bring.

Kohli will be available for all Surrey cricket throughout the month, beginning with Royal London Cup 50-over matches against Middlesex - an opening match at Lord's for India's captain - and Glamorgan and three Championship matches against Hampshire, Somerset and, finally, Yorkshire where there will not be a guest house room to be had in Scarborough.

"It has long been an ambition of mine to play county cricket and I am thankful to Alec Stewart and Surrey for allowing me the opportunity to join them during their 2018 season," Kohli said. "I can't wait to get to the Kia Oval." His presence in county cricket owes much to the attitude of India's Committee of Administrators, headed by Vinod Rai. Rai had prepared the ground for Surrey's announcement by confirming that India players would not be forced to play in a one-off Test against Afghanistan against their wishes.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23393365/surrey-confirm-kohli-deal-india-captain-gets-licence-warm-england

1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

The only moment in history when people will actually give a **** about county cricket.

Its amazing how low english cricket has sunk. They turned their premier cricket competition into a glorified practice session just to get some much needed publicity.

what? Big players have always been a part of County cricket.

13 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Indian players kab wahan khele? Dravid and Ganguly about 20 years ago, they didn't even take it seriously. Zaheer 2006, and that was only because he was dropped. Thats it.

You have to go back to the 80s when big names were playing there. woh din kab ke gaye, nobody gives a **** about county anymore other than goras from south africa who are about to lose their land.

And not playing in county seriously gas cost us big time in the past. Playing county cricket is what made teams like Pakistan and Windies strong in the past with the ability to acclimatise to a greater variety of conditions. 

1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Indian players kab wahan khele? Dravid and Ganguly about 20 years ago, they didn't even take it seriously. Zaheer 2006, and that was only because he was dropped. Thats it.

You have to go back to the 80s when big names were playing there. woh din kab ke gaye, nobody gives a **** about county anymore other than goras from south africa who are about to lose their land.

Indian's did not play because they didnt want to or BCCI did not allow. SRT, Kumble, Srinath all played there.  It is Kohli's need to play in county. 

We're the only country that does this, giving overseas players the chance to play fc cricket in our domestic competition. And being a parochial person I'd ban it and make all counties pick only players born in the county. 

2 hours ago, YCCC said:

We're the only country that does this, giving overseas players the chance to play fc cricket in our domestic competition. And being a parochial person I'd ban it and make all counties pick only players born in the county. 

Not sure if that's the right attitude - with the right balance, its actually quite beneficial to the local boys to play alongside international talents.  

Trust the ECB to not strike the right balance though.

8 hours ago, Inside my Jamshed said:

I think this will be a good move for Viart as his red ball cricket has actually been on the decline the past year. Like Ashwin, he can only perform at home and needs to change this reputation 

When did India conquer Australia, South Africa etc for them to become India's 'home'?

i will give you that Ashwin only performs at home and even when he does take

wickets abroad they are mostly inconsequential