Too many mental midgets in our team, alarm bells for CWC 2019

Bumrah...serial choker

Chahal...serial choker

Rohit...not that great, merely OK

Kohli...in ODIs he has a serious choking problem on the big stage, not saying he is entirely useless (has done OK in CT) but hasn't yet justified his reputation as an ODI great in WCs. In WT20s he has been stellar but in CWC KOs he averages 14 at SR 58 in 5 matches (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/253802.html?class=2;filter=advanced;final_type=1;final_type=3;final_type=4;orderby=default;template=results;trophy=12;type=batting)

Dhoni...apart from Mumbai 2011 has been pathetic in all ICC events, deteriorated even more in recent times.

Dhawan is clutch, Pandya was good in the CT F as was Bhuvi. Rahul, Pandey, Jadhav, Iyer, Karthik etc are unknowns right now but they don't inspire the confidence of Yuvi/Raina/Gambhir (2011). I can't see any of these present middle order batsmen pulling off what Yuvi-Raina did in Motera QF against defending champs for instance. In 2011 our batting wasn't exactly high quality in the QF/SF/F but super clutch and got the job done mainly on the back of incredible mental fortitude. If such a challenge were to arise in 2019 (and most definitely will in the business end of the tournament) I see our middle order batsmen withering under pressure. Even while defending totals Bumrah and Chahal may choke badly.

We have choked horrendously in 2014 WT20, 2016 WT20, 2017 CT...on two of those instances we lost inspite of Kohli's genius. Only 2015 WC SF we lost against a superior unit on their turf, I can say we would have lost 4 out of 5 times against that Aussie team on that flat deck. But the remaining 3 instances we would have won 4 out of 5 but unfortunately each time we lost in spite of odds favoring us. Till 2013 CT we were a super clutch team that had to be really outplayed in the latter stages, a new trend is emerging after that. We are becoming the new South Africa, unconquerable in bilaterals/group stages and mental wusses in latter stages. That has a lot to do with the current mental midgets in the XI, we have quite a few now actually, our 1983 and 2011 teams were the polar opposite in this department. Someone in BCCI needs to wake up and smell the coffee because otherwise another painful heartbreak awaits us next year. Mike Horn played a big role in our 2011 triumph (attested by SRT, Zak, Bhajji, Gambo, UV, Munaf), in 2014 FIFA WC he helped Germany conquer their mental demons....but now he is nowhere to be seen despite his good relations with Indian players.  The Saffer has a great track record in helping sports teams win important trophies yet somehow the richest cricket board can't hire this mental conditioning coach. Even Sandy Gordon helped our team in 2003-4 Aus and 2004 Pak, Ganguly was lavish in praise of him in a Sportstar interview back then. I believe more than cricket coaches Team India needs mental conditioning coaches, motivational speakers and psychiatrists to achieve its true potential.

Edited by Gollum
5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Diagnosis comes before treatment, process and results then follow. Can't pretend we have no problem and turn up for CWC 2019 just like that, you have seen what happened in our last 4 ICC tourneys haven't you? 

Lol how is 2017 ct choking. Stop pretending you are Indian at least look up dictionary for choking. Stopping wetting your salwar kameez. Indians know how to support their team.

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

Lol how is 2017 ct choking. Stop pretending you are Indian at least look up dictionary for choking. Stopping wetting your salwar kameez. Indians know how to support their team.

Don't think we don't realize that you are from Pakistan. The reason you support washed-up Indian players is because that is the only time your country has any chance of defeating India. 

Forget about mental toughness. Why are we not playing deserving youngsters over mediocre garbage like Jadhav who can't bowl,bat or field? Dhoni flopped in the SA ODI series as well and looks to be in terminal decline in international cricket. Why haven't we given consistent runs in the last four years to the likes of Rahul instead of playing has beens like UV? The batting lacks quality apart from top 3. Even Pakistanis will laugh at us if we play such a mediocre batting lineup.

Edited by Nikhil_cric
On 5/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, Gollum said:

Bumrah...serial choker

Chahal...serial choker

Rohit...not that great, merely OK

Kohli...in ODIs he has a serious choking problem on the big stage, not saying he is entirely useless (has done OK in CT) but hasn't yet justified his reputation as an ODI great in WCs. In WT20s he has been stellar but in CWC KOs he averages 14 at SR 58 in 5 matches (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/253802.html?class=2;filter=advanced;final_type=1;final_type=3;final_type=4;orderby=default;template=results;trophy=12;type=batting)

Dhoni...apart from Mumbai 2011 has been pathetic in all ICC events, deteriorated even more in recent times.

Dhawan is clutch, Pandya was good in the CT F as was Bhuvi. Rahul, Pandey, Jadhav, Iyer, Karthik etc are unknowns right now but they don't inspire the confidence of Yuvi/Raina/Gambhir (2011). I can't see any of these present middle order batsmen pulling off what Yuvi-Raina did in Motera QF against defending champs for instance. In 2011 our batting wasn't exactly high quality in the QF/SF/F but super clutch and got the job done mainly on the back of incredible mental fortitude. If such a challenge were to arise in 2019 (and most definitely will in the business end of the tournament) I see our middle order batsmen withering under pressure. Even while defending totals Bumrah and Chahal may choke badly.

We have choked horrendously in 2014 WT20, 2016 WT20, 2017 CT...on two of those instances we lost inspite of Kohli's genius. Only 2015 WC SF we lost against a superior unit on their turf, I can say we would have lost 4 out of 5 times against that Aussie team on that flat deck. But the remaining 3 instances we would have won 4 out of 5 but unfortunately each time we lost in spite of odds favoring us. Till 2013 CT we were a super clutch team that had to be really outplayed in the latter stages, a new trend is emerging after that. We are becoming the new South Africa, unconquerable in bilaterals/group stages and mental wusses in latter stages. That has a lot to do with the current mental midgets in the XI, we have quite a few now actually, our 1983 and 2011 teams were the polar opposite in this department. Someone in BCCI needs to wake up and smell the coffee because otherwise another painful heartbreak awaits us next year. Mike Horn played a big role in our 2011 triumph (attested by SRT, Zak, Bhajji, Gambo, UV, Munaf), in 2014 FIFA WC he helped Germany conquer their mental demons....but now he is nowhere to be seen despite his good relations with Indian players.  The Saffer has a great track record in helping sports teams win important trophies yet somehow the richest cricket board can't hire this mental conditioning coach. Even Sandy Gordon helped our team in 2003-4 Aus and 2004 Pak, Ganguly was lavish in praise of him in a Sportstar interview back then. I believe more than cricket coaches Team India needs mental conditioning coaches, motivational speakers and psychiatrists to achieve its true potential.

you are comparing what Yuvraj-Raina did at home. I am sure even those would have struggled if they had to do same thing against that attack in England.  Most present Indian batsmen will do what Yuvraj Raina did back them. that was nothing special from them. chasing 5 rpo on a slow flat pitch against pace dominant attack.

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

you are comparing what Yuvraj-Raina did at home. I am sure even those would have struggled if they had to do same thing against that attack in England.  Most present Indian batsmen will do what Yuvraj Raina did back them. that was nothing special from them. chasing 5 rpo on a slow flat pitch against pace dominant attack.

In hindsight that isn't special for you perhaps. But I recall the tension when we were 5 down and fast losing the plot. Sluggish pitch, opponents 3 time defending champs who we hadn't beaten in a WC game since 1987, the most competitive team in cricketing history fired up......if that wasn't a clutch performance for you what can I say? Besides that pitch was tougher to bat on than most ODI pitches in England today. Current batsmen are chokers, they would have lost to Australia 10 out of 10 times, we saw what these guys did in Canberra in 2016 on the mother of all flat tracks against Z grade Aussie bowling in a no pressure match.  

Edited by Gollum