Question for Vegetarians: What are your feelings when you see Cow eating the placenta?

Alam_dar

In free nature almost all the mammals are eating the placenta. Nobody knows exactly what the reason is (although it is said that the placenta contains high levels of prostaglandin which stimulates involution (an inward curvature or penetration, or, a shrinking or return to a former size) of the uterus, in effect cleaning the uterus out. The placenta also contains small amounts of oxytocin which eases birth stress and causes the smooth muscles around the mammary cells to contract and eject milk).

Spoiler

Edited by velu

@op I didn't know what's placenta and that cows eat it. Have no feelings on it.

I sometimes watch vids of hyenas, wild dogs etc. Eating their prey alive which is Probably one of the most painful ways to die. I do it randomly but it reminds myself abt the realities of life, to not have an ego and not get attached to anything. 

28 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

@op I didn't know what's placenta and that cows eat it. Have no feelings on it.

I sometimes watch vids of hyenas, wild dogs etc. Eating their prey alive which is Probably one of the most painful ways to die. I do it randomly but it reminds myself abt the realities of life, to not have an ego and not get attached to anything. 

Placenta is a structure inside uterus which provides nutrition to the growing fetus. If you have witnessed delivery of a cow, you would have seen a long bloody thick thread like structure attached to the infant calf, that's umbilical cord and is part of placenta.

I have read about this happening in some cultures in humans too.

Women get together and eat the placenta.

I wouldn't do it if I had a gun to my head.

Rather take a bullet than choke on this.:p:

Pregnant and new mothers are quite 'full' of oxytonins. A small amount more is probably not required.

Holding the newborn against the skin and cuddling it will probably have better results .

Breastfeeding the baby is the best way to shrink the uterus .

Animals probably aren't grossed out so easily .

I feel one reason why animals in the wild eat the pracenta is to eliminate the sign of birth . The presence and scent of the placenta is a give away sign of a weak and vulnerable mother and new born around.

The mother eats the pracenta which nourishes her and gives her some strength to move on with the new born. It also eliminate the signs of a new birth hence protects the new born from the predators.

How do I as a vegetarian feel looking at the video?

Not much really.

I feel it is a good way to use all possible energy available to animals . No one makes ghee ke laddoo for them .No one gives them well deserved bed rest for a few days.They have to do it without epidurals and mostly all by themselves.

This is probably their way of getting the most out of what nature has made available to them . 

More power to the placenta eating mom . If it helps, go for it.

Edited by beetle

OP sounds fukcing dumb and ignorant. As was posted earlier, it is a mothers way of protecting the young. Dogs and wolves even clean their puppies poop to protect them from predators.

Unbelievable the amount of brain damage religion does.

Edited by cricketrulez

35 minutes ago, cricketrulez said:

OP sounds fukcing dumb and ignorant. As was posted earlier, it is a mothers way of protecting the young. Dogs and wolves even clean their puppies poop to protect them from predators.

Unbelievable the amount of brain damage religion does.

He's as hardcore an atheist as one can be.

5 hours ago, Stradlater said:

You mean Question for Hindus?

No, for the vegetarians. 

I tried to stay vegetarians for couple of months (actually couple of years with breaks in between) in search of optimal health, while I was suffering from diseases

This illness compelled me to become Vegetarian. 

And when it didn't work, then this same illness made me to eat "good quality non-Halal meat" for the first time. 

And when it also didn't work, then this same illness compelled me to eat raw fish (Sashimi). 

It also brought me to drink raw milk. 

And then this same illness compelled me further to collect the raw green wild herbs (e.g. dandelions) and use them as salad. 

I am happy all this helped me in healing and I found my satisfaction. 

I am a firm believer that no prejudice (against any food) or religion taboos should come in the way when one is trying to find the optimal diet for himself. 

Earlier I found it disgusting when I saw inuits eating raw fish, raw caribou organs and meat, or even drinking blood of the kill. Actually it was even disgusting to see the predators eating meat of alive animals. 

Nevertheless, with time I started understanding the nature. 

Therefore, when I saw cow eating the placenta, then it was absolutely not disgusting for me, and I found it very much near the nature. 

Edited by Alam_dar

7 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

They probably feel the same when a predominantly carnivorous human being sees tigers, cats and various other obligate carnivores eating grass.......

There are no carnivorous humans.Either ther are Herbivores or omnivores .No non vegetarian human being on earth survive solely on meat diet.

3 hours ago, beetle said:

I have read about this happening in some cultures in humans too.

Women get together and eat the placenta.

I wouldn't do it if I had a gun to my head.

Rather take a bullet than choke on this.:p:

Pregnant and new mothers are quite 'full' of oxytonins. A small amount more is probably not required.

Holding the newborn against the skin and cuddling it will probably have better results .

Breastfeeding the baby is the best way to shrink the uterus .

Animals probably aren't grossed out so easily .

I feel one reason why animals in the wild eat the pracenta is to eliminate the sign of birth . The presence and scent of the placenta is a give away sign of a weak and vulnerable mother and new born around.

The mother eats the pracenta which nourishes her and gives her some strength to move on with the new born. It also eliminate the signs of a new birth hence protects the new born from the predators.

How do I as a vegetarian feel looking at the video?

Not much really.

I feel it is a good way to use all possible energy available to animals . No one makes ghee ke laddoo for them .No one gives them well deserved bed rest for a few days.They have to do it without epidurals and mostly all by themselves.

This is probably their way of getting the most out of what nature has made available to them . 

More power to the placenta eating mom . If it helps, go for it.

Thank you for your response. 

After reading, it seems nobody knows for sure why the mammals eat the placenta. Especially it is controversial if it has any benefits for the human mothers (although Chinese doctors have been using it for centuries). 

Similarly, it seems that it is also not unanimous that placenta is eaten for protecting the newborn, as sometimes animals are keeping the placenta as food up to 4 days and eating little by little. 

28 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

There are no carnivorous humans.Either ther are Herbivores or omnivores .No non vegetarian human being on earth survive solely on meat diet.

Correct. 

Nevertheless, it seems that the diet of inuits is almost 100% meat. They do use some berries in the summer season, but that is all. Rest of their diet consists of meat and fats. 

35 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

You are quite mistaken. Lapp, Inuit, etc. have lived for thousands of years with extended carnivorous diets - they have gone months, sometimes years with zero fruits, nuts or veggies. 

Sure, you can say over their lifetimes they might've eaten some fruit- well most vegetarians too, over their lifetimes have either consumed meat or animal products as well. 

And it is just as unhealthy to eat so much meat, as it is to realistically speaking, avoid all meat and meat products as well. 

We have evolved to eat pretty much everything - its so stupid to deny this and to compromise our species of one of the greatest evolutionary advantage a species can have - over some random 'feels bad to kill something for food, coz we havnt done it for so long thanks to technology' and  so take that ideology to an extreme and compromise our species over it. 

Our idiot ancestors could be forgiven, not knowing that an omnivorous diet is the most nutritious diet scientifically speaking- but we have no excuse today to follow such broken notions. Or come up with nonsense like eating organs like crazy or raw meat and stuff. 

As a biological animal that is product of evolution, it makes no sense to arbitarily screw with our food. 

2 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

lol at ppl trying to judge animal behavior just through science and logic .

I personally believe that pondering upon new things, studying them, experimenting with them, and making new discoveries is a good thing. It opens up new paths and brings new knowledge. It may be one could make mistake while coming to any conclusion, but one also learns from these mistakes. 

For example, there are mothers who are experimenting. It may be that they fail to achieve any thing substantial. But still such experiments is a good thing and no one knows that any such experiment could become beneficial for the humanity. 

Edited by Alam_dar

what is the point of this thread?

Lots of animals kill and eat their young.  Chimpanzees when fighting amongst themselves often rip the balls off their opponent.  Bonobos like to jack and suck each other off, male, female whatever, just for timepass.  Since we are so close to chimps and bonobos, does that mean humans should do what they do?  

2 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

I'm afraid such wisdom is lost on me.Forget experimenting ,i abhor studying or pondering .Discoveries  are a fools quest for me, such a waste of time .I'm happy eating,drinking, sleeping,icfing and watching kirkut.

Ha Ha Ha. Enjoy your life brother. 

But there will always be some people who would not be satisfied with their present situation, or compelled by illnesses etc. and they had to go to find the new ways in order to satisfy themselves. 

On 5/7/2018 at 7:25 PM, sandeep said:

what is the point of this thread?

Lots of animals kill and eat their young.  Chimpanzees when fighting amongst themselves often rip the balls off their opponent.  Bonobos like to jack and suck each other off, male, female whatever, just for timepass.  Since we are so close to chimps and bonobos, does that mean humans should do what they do?  

Precisely .. the **** should I care what the cow does or eats unless it poisons the dairy products I would consume. It's not like cow taught us vegetarians abcd & manners in school, so u can be sure as hell we don't take dining lessons from it!