Chahal breathing down Ashwin's neck

Getting into the Test team might not be all that simple for Ravichandran Again as it looks like on paper. Giving him stiff competition is leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal.

TOI has learnt that skipper Virat Kohli is inclined towards getting Chahal into his scheme things for Test matches. It is also learnt that Chahal could be giving Ashwin a run for his money for a spot in the Test XI. Sources close to the team management said that Kohli had actually told Chahal to be ready for the upcoming Test match against Afghanistan in June.

Ashwin, who has been India's premier bowler in Tests over the past two and a half years, didn’t renew his deal with Worcestershire this season as he wanted to take part in Afghanistan's inaugural Test match to be played in Bangalore. “Virat has given Chahal enough feelers. But now that Virat has himself backed out of the Test, it could be interesting if the selectors stick with Chahal,” said a source close to the development.

Kohli’s fascination for wrist spinners is well documented in the limited-overs format. But dropping Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, on their Test performance, will be very difficult. “Ashwin may well travel to England for Tests but he will face stiff competition from Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav. There is also talks of resting Ashwin against Afghanistan so that the wrist spinners get a feel of Test cricket,” added a course close to the Indian team management.

TOI had reported in December that both Chahal and Jasprit Bumrah were asked to skip Ranji Trophy matches and train at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) instead. “Kohli is batting strongly for Chahal and Bumrah. He wanted both for Test matches in South Africa despite both having very little experience of bowling with the red ball. But he was granted just Bumrah,” the source said.

TOI understands that Kohli prefers Chahal over Kuldeep. Interestingly, whenever Kohli has decided to go in with a single spinner in limited-overs matches in the last year, he has turned to Chahal. “Chahal is quicker through the air and is more accurate. He has been asked to concentrate on his leg-breaks. That’s why you see him bowling more share turning leg-breaks this IPL. Bangalore could have been the ideal ground for Chahal to make his debut,” the source informed.

The competition for spinners in Tests has surely hot up. Ashwin and Jadeja still lead the race but there is a strong undercurrent too.

source- times of india

11 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

i highly believe that chahal will play 1st test.....if he doesnt perform then go to ashwin......try chahal first,ashwin will flatter to deceive ,like he did when 4th day of 2nd test match,he didn't pick up any wickets.

Edited by LORD_analyst

Eng will play 7-8 lefties, I would prefer Ashwin and Kuldeep over Chahal. Besides Chahal can't bat. Why is Kohli pushing Chahal over Kuldeep? Even in Dharamasla test against Australia, he had an altercation with Kumble over the latter's decision to give debut to the Chinaman. Neither Kuldeep nor Chahal have eye catching first class stats because white ball cricket success doesn't translate to 5 day cricket success, but based on what I have seen Kuldeep looks like a better overall package.  

1 hour ago, LORD_analyst said:

i highly believe that chahal will play 1st test.....if he doesnt perform then go to ashwin......try chahal first,ashwin will flatter to deceive ,like he did when 4th day of 2nd test match,he didn't pick up any wickets.

But he did deliver a potentially match winning spell in the 1st innings, besides he had 6 chances dropped off his bowling that match, it is very harsh to judge a bowler with the level of catching we showed there. Ashwin, Lyon and Maharaj played in SA earlier this year and I think Ashwin bowled the best. 

Why not Jadeja? Like Ashwin he too can bat and in English conditions bottom 5 are expected to make a few handy runs. Does Chahal offer that? Kuldeep is a better bet because he is at least as good as Chahal with the ball but also a decent batsman. To me Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep looks like a better alternative. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Ankit_sharma03 what's your take on Jayant Yadav? Shouldn't he be in the reckoning ahead of Chahal in test cricket? He is also a decent batsman. A tad unlucky to be out of our test teams for so long methinks. 

as a bowler he is not that gr8, so kuldeep n jaddu will beat him

as all rounder in overseas pandya n shankar will beat him

as all rounder in india- jaddu n ashwin are good enough which gives the option to play either kuldeep/6th batsman/fast bowling all rounder

but he is very compact as a batsman, has talent with ball to but need to do more with ball to be in reckoning. A lot depends on ur competition 

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

But he did deliver a potentially match winning spell in the 1st innings, besides he had 6 chances dropped off his bowling that match, it is very harsh to judge a bowler with the level of catching we showed there. Ashwin, Lyon and Maharaj played in SA earlier this year and I think Ashwin bowled the best. 

Why not Jadeja? Like Ashwin he too can bat and in English conditions bottom 5 are expected to make a few handy runs. Does Chahal offer that? Kuldeep is a better bet because he is at least as good as Chahal with the ball but also a decent batsman. To me Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep looks like a better alternative. 

yup....but wrist spinner like yasir shah proved to be match winner in eng.....yasir shah took more wickets in eng than all the overhyped pacers of pakistan.....but agree ashwin bowled well, apart from 2nd innings.