How good a skipper MS Dhoni is?

Austin 3:!6

Before the start of this IPL, everyone including me thought that CSK will not be able to repeat its magic of yesteryears. An old captain, retired/semi retired players, no home ground...everything was against them.

But boy, wasnt I wrong? MSD led CSK is not only winning games but absolutely mauling superstar teams led by present international captains like Kohli, Kane, Rohit etc. Each and every players who looked pedestal for other teams ..suddenly performing brilliantly in CSK. Watson was a total failure for RCB last year and suddenly he is trump card for Dhoni. Rayudu who was a middle order grinder for MI...is a MVP for CSK. Even youngsters like Asif and Chahar is performing.

No real superstars, ageing or retired players and yet CSK is beating each and every team consists of many international stars??

This begs the question - How good a captain MS Dhoni really is?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Very good. He is as good as it is out there in for limited overs version. 

Obituaries were written after the auction and no expert were ready to give them a chance. Lot of credit should be given to him and management who believed in their players to deliver and inspired this turnaround at the age when they should be easily beaten by all younger international star players/captains/coaches.

Another important point to note is their whole strategy in auction was to prepare a team to play at chepauk on dry spinning pitches. Even after loosing the pitch advantage, crowd advantage and the need to adjust their primary strategy, they are still becoming the Gold standard of IPL like their heydays.

Absolute Legend. :hatsoff: 

7 minutes ago, Scar said:

Have to say, before IPL wasn't giving CSK much chance but boy oh boy! Milking the best out of each player is also an art that many other captain lacks. 

Look at kohli for instance, he can make a lactating cricketer go dud under his reign. 

Kohli is clearly someone who can lift himself up immensely with his work ethics. But I feel he puts lot of pressure on others and it has not worked out well.

As per their record itself, he should be the most overrated captain of IPL. People got carried away with his batting prowess and expectations has always been underachieved.

18 minutes ago, Shunya said:

Kohli is clearly someone who can lift himself up immensely with his work ethics. But I feel he puts lot of pressure on others and it has not worked out well.

As per their record itself, he should be the most overrated captain of IPL. People got carried away with his batting prowess and expectations has always been underachieved.

To be fair to kohli, we desperately needed a hungry captain like him for test. I personally think kohli is miles better than Dhoni as far as test are concerned. But it's LOIs that we are lacking a calm ajd composed personality. ODI and T20s are self moving game, you just have to steady on unlike tests. This is where kohli lacks, to win the crucial moments. 

6 minutes ago, adi B said:

Younis Khan won the wt20,smashed captains like Smith,sanga,vettori in the process !! Wow 

LOL...what a comparison. YK had players like Amir, Razzaq, Afridi, Ajmal etc in his team and all were in prime form. Dhoni is beating teams consisting of top international stars with an aged/expired team and that too without the home advantage. Credit where due maybe? :hmmm:

9 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

LOL...what a comparison. YK had players like Amir, Razzaq, Afridi, Ajmal etc in his team and all were in prime form. Dhoni is beating teams consisting of top international stars with an aged/expired team and that too without the home advantage. Credit where due maybe? :hmmm:

Yes but I don't take ipl seriously at all ,I didn't even give rohit credit for winning 3 ipls. Captaincy is overrated in t20s!

Fantastic example of his captaincy brain yesterday. He played chahar and bowled him 4 upfront knowing he is not fully fit and may not field for 20 overs and bowl at death. After that he was sent off the field and a substitute fielded in place of him. And while batting he is a tailender so wasn't needed even there. He stole 4 overs from SRH and covered a potentially weak Fielder. :cheer: