Most famous cricketer in the world

Yesterday came across a news item which mentioned that Time magazine in 2010 had named Tendulkar as one of the 100 most influential People in the world.

Is he the most well known cricketer around the world or is it someone else? 

And please no mentions of players like Imran Khan who owe their rise in popularity to Politics.

15 minutes ago, kira said:

Tendulkar is the GOD of cricket, so ofcourse he's the most popular cricketer in the world, he's still owning kohli in terms of twitter followers even though kohli is at the peak of his popularity while sachin has been out of limelight since his retirement 5 years ago

Maybe most popular in India not in the world

5 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Maybe most popular in India not in the world

Tattie boy, he's the most popular cricketer in the world, this is an undeniable fact, don't be jelly just because no one knows any cricketer from your minnow nation.

I dare you to state another cricketer who is more popular than sachin and back it with evidence

Edited by beetle

Tendulkar, Dhoni and Kohli will be top purely because of our population. No non desi (except maybe Bradman cos he's the gold standard) can ever vie for this title because besides demography cricket isn't the top sport in any of these countries. Even Afridi will rank high because he is known to most in India.

And regarding Imran Khan he was popular even before his entry into politics. Besides being a legendary cricketer he was the glam boy of cricket, well known in UK's social circles and women used to swoon over him. He probably made more magazine covers than any other cricketer, even in India he was a national obsession among the women folk. I have seen old issues of Sportstar and Imran was featured in almost everyone of them....there would be a special column where fans would pen tributes to their favourite players and half of them would invariably be love letters to Imran. Won't be an exaggeration to say that he matched even Kapil in terms of adulation in his enemy country.  I have spent an awful lot of time with CAB staff/groundsmen and old timers say Sobers and Imran were the biggest overseas hits with the Eden crowd. Even in Bollywood circles he was the ultimate dream man for the divas. I personally think he looks like Gaddafi and is a terrible human being but no denying his superstar status during his playing days. 

18 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Which other cricketer had his name featured in Time 100 whilst playing?

Time 100 isn't a big criteria to measure popularity. Magnus Carlsen after becoming world champion was named in that Time 100 list. But he can walk anywhere without being mobbed, even Unadkat will have more popularity than him in every country bar Norway. You will find many names on that list who you would never have heard of. Even Deepika Padukone made the list this year, many more powerful than her in Bollywood have never made the list. 

Edited by Gollum
54 minutes ago, kira said:

Tendulkar is the GOD of cricket, so ofcourse he's the most popular cricketer in the world, he's still owning kohli in terms of twitter followers even though kohli is at the peak of his popularity while sachin has been out of limelight since his retirement 5 years ago

sharapova - 8 million

sachin - 25 million

sharapova never heard about sachin till last year..

sachin had a crush on sharapova for close 15 years .. 

9 minutes ago, velu said:

sharapova - 8 million

sachin - 25 million

sharapova never heard about sachin till last year..

sachin had a crush on sharapova for close 15 years .. 

Sachin is obviously more popular than sharapova, just because sharapova is an ignorant idiot doesn't mean sachin is less popular than her

Edited by kira

I spend some time on other sports forums and Bradman is very popular among those from non cricketing nations, probably because he is the undisputed GOAT of cricket and regularly features in discussions about greatest sportsperson of all time. Sachin, Kohli, Imran, Afridii, Dhoni, Warne, Sobers, Viv, Lara etc are unknown there. If you talk about serious sports fans all across the world Bradman will probably wipe the floor with all others. 

1 hour ago, kira said:

Tattie boy, don't do tattie here, he's the most popular cricketer in the world, this is an undeniable fact, don't be jelly just because no one knows any cricketer from your minnow nation.

I dare you to state another cricketer who is more popular than sachin and back it with evidence

He is not the most popular ( liked , admired) cricketer in other cricketing countries , don't be so stupid. Certainly not most popular in England, West Indies, Australia , South Africa 

With regards to the minnow country that bothers you so much he is not in the too three of popular Indian cricketers. 

56 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

He is not the most popular ( liked , admired) cricketer in other cricketing countries , don't be so stupid. Certainly not most popular in England, West Indies, Australia , South Africa 

With regards to the minnow country that bothers you so much he is not in the too three of popular Indian cricketers. 

I asked you who is the most popular cricketer overall? Obviously tendulkar won't be the most popular cricketer in every country but when all countries are taken together  then tendulkar will be no. 1 and the most popular cricketer of all time. 

Are you so dumb that you don't even understand the concept of overall popularity? Tendulkar doesn't have to be the most popular cricketer in every country to be the most popular cricketer in the world, he has to be the most known cricketer when all of the world population is considered together to be the most popular, man how do you even coach people when you are this dense? 

I'll ask you again, which cricketer is more popular than tendulkar?

Edited by kira

Cricket is just not a global game, there has never been a cricketer who has transcended boundaries like Federer, Messi, Jordan, Bolt, Ali etc. Indian superstars may have the numbers but will be limited to certain pockets of the globe. I am 100% sure that if you conduct a survey in all countries of the world (excluding desis) Vishwanathan Anand will be more well known than Sachin/Dhoni in 90% of the countries. I mean when cricket has no global standing in front of chess, what chance does it have in front of football and tennis? I blame administrators for this predicament, had they shown more initiative to spread the game globally instead of meaningless gimmicks cricket would have been a global game by now. Today Afghanistan, Ireland, Netherlands, UAE, Canada, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Scotland, Oman, PNG, Canada, Namibia etc all should have broken into the top level at least in the shorter formats, instead only 2-3 of these countries (mainly AFG, Ireland) have some standing. Football wants 48 team World Cup and is investing so much in promoting the game in all countries, badminton has legit 20 countries with top players. In cricket ICC is going the other way, and I don't think they even want 10 international teams...I think we are heading towards an era of only 4-5 teams and looking even further localization of the game in a single country.

Edited by Gollum