India's reluctance to play pink-ball Test no historical surprise

The BCCI have have mastered the art of being late to the party, then reaping the hefty rewards

Pink ball cricket
 Australia and India will play a one-day game in Adelaide instead of the day-night Test. Photograph: Phil Walter/Getty Images

There was a sense of déjà vu with last week’s decision by Indian cricket chiefs to stonewall a bid to play the Adelaide Test under lights. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) are not convinced by the day-night format, and doubt its place in the future of the game.

We’ve been here before.

In the early 1980s, India had no time for the new craze that was one-day cricket. Officials scorned Kerry Packer’s cricket circus, and even the players – using Sunil Gavaskar’s defiant 36 off 174 in the 1975 World Cup as their rallying cry – showed scant regard for the new format. The BCCI chairman of selectors maintained the format was “irrelevant” and “artificial”, but after Kapil Dev’s side defied all odds to win the 1983 World Cup, things changed.

They did so swiftly. The BCCI pitched successfully to host the next tournament (1987) and, for the home Test series against the West Indies later that year, cut Test matches from five to four to accommodate two extra ODIs. White-ball cricket became a venture the BCCI now wholeheartedly embraced. It was just a decade later than everyone else.

Fast forward 20 years, and much the same negative rhetoric was directed towards T20 in its infancy. Cricket writer Gideon Haigh details the feeling at the time in his book Sphere of Influence. “The real resistance to Twenty20 at this (early) stage, however, was not from purists, but from the guardians of the status quo ante, chief among them BCCI president Pawar”. As Haigh records, Pawar argued that Twenty20 “dilutes the importance of international cricket,” while secretary Niranjan Shah quipped: “Twenty20? Why not Ten-10 or Five-5 or One-1?”

Historically, conservatism fills the BCCI’s Mumbai headquarters like few offices in world sport. Their habitual resistance to innovation means few were surprised at the decision last week to reject the chance to play the Adelaide Test under lights. Despite three largely successful pink ball fixtures against New Zealand, South Africa and England at the venue, Adelaide fans will have to settle for day-time cricket at India’s behest. It’s their prerogative, mind – both the hosts and visitors must agree upon changes to playing conditions before a series, and Virat Kohli’s side is loth to give Australia any advantage in their quest to win their first Test series on these shores. In a purely on-field sense, it is logical.

But, at a time when Test cricket is crying out for innovation, it is much more than that. And, as was the case after initially slandering ODIs and laughing off T20s, it’s entirely likely that in a decade’s time the BCCI will be espousing day-night Tests as the shot in the arm Test cricket required. The irony of Shah’s derogatory quip about T20 during its infancy isn’t lost on anyone in world cricket; the seven-week IPL season now accounts for up to 95% of the BCCI’s total profits.

India was one of the last nations to initiate a domestic T20 competition, but since doing so, the IPL has delivered astronomical success, healthily lining their pockets along the way. They have mastered the art of being late to the party, then reaping the hefty rewards of the very ideas they denigrate.

India’s reluctance to embrace change – especially in the format where it is most needed – significantly impacts world cricket given their authoritative position at board level. In this instance it certainly hampers Cricket Australia’s traction on a budding format, after strong crowds in their first foray indicate it is worth further investment.

More importantly, however, it further delays the required intervention in the game on the subcontinent. Images from last year’s gripping Border-Gavaskar series (which India went on to win 2-1) revealed a contest played in front of largely empty stands. Whatever way their PR machine spun the series’ success, the vacant seats (versus the packed houses at IPL games) reveal a disconnect between fans and the traditional form of the game. And while it remains to be seen whether day-night Test cricket is the propping up proponents claim it is, at the very least it is a low-risk endeavour for Indian cricket executives to explore. It is also an endeavour they need to invest in soon.

Former captain Sourav Ganguly disagrees with the board’s current position. “Day-night Tests are the way forward,” he said. “Every country has to play day-night Tests. India has reservations but it’s a long-term future for Test cricket”. History tells us, however, that they will wait. They will wait until all risk has been mitigated and they are sure it is a worthwhile endeavour, irrespective of the urging of other cricket boards for years previous. It is only then they will agree to it, and discover they are yet again late to the party.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/16/indias-reluctance-to-play-pink-ball-test-no-historical-surprise

43 minutes ago, Khota said:

There is nothing wrong in playing Day/Night. I think it is shortsighted on part of India.

Who said India will never play D/N test.  They will.  On their terms, when its suitable.  Not when its in beta-test mode, to increase Australia's winning chances.

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Who said India will never play D/N test.  They will.  On their terms, when its suitable.  Not when its in beta-test mode, to increase Australia's winning chances.

India has a history of dragging its feet and slow to reform. This is a direct result of the bureacracy setup by the Empire called IAS. Day Night is past beta stage and is almost a released product.

46 minutes ago, Khota said:

Day Night is past beta stage and is almost a released product.

No its not.  They are still talking about changing how many layers of lacquer they will add to the ball, to manage the amount of swing that happens.  They even talked about taking a bunch of grass off the pitch, since at this point, D/N test conditions basically render spin bowling meaningless.  Is that what we want, D/N tests at the cost of making spinners extinct in test cricket?  I don't think so.  They will need to figure out the right balance of tweaking the nature of the ball, and pairing it with the right conditions to avoid doing that.  Or overly seamer friendly conditions.  Its the very definition of beta stage.  Don't kid yourself.

Rule changes in ODIs - 4 fielders in the middle overs - have already made finger spinners essentially useless in ODI cricket.  Is that a good outcome? I don't think so.  

Edited by sandeep
33 minutes ago, sandeep said:

No its not.  They are still talking about changing how many layers of lacquer they will add to the ball, to manage the amount of swing that happens.  They even talked about taking a bunch of grass off the pitch, since at this point, D/N test conditions basically render spin bowling meaningless.  Is that what we want, D/N tests at the cost of making spinners extinct in test cricket?  I don't think so.  They will need to figure out the right balance of tweaking the nature of the ball, and pairing it with the right conditions to avoid doing that.  Or overly seamer friendly conditions.  Its the very definition of beta stage.  Don't kid yourself.

Rule changes in ODIs - 4 fielders in the middle overs - have already made finger spinners essentially useless in ODI cricket.  Is that a good outcome? I don't think so.  

This Indian behavior of being on the trailing edge of technology is not new. It is a poor mindset to resist change evrytime because of the bureaucratic nature of the society. It was same mindset for DRS which was a step in the right direction. The ball will not retain shine all the time and will spin.  While travelling spinners never had advantage anyway so that is a mute point. Australia most likely would be beaten by pace. 

Now explain to me in summer how does Australia have a huge advantage which was not there before?

Both sides will have the same type of balls. Rest is all complaining.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

Now explain to me in summer how does Australia have a huge advantage which was not there before?

Look into India's historical track record in Adelaide test matches.  That should be a clue.  Taking a "safe" test match at Adelaide and replacing it with a lottery test match, that's 99% likely to have a result due to overly bowler-friendly conditions, and ones where Aussies have more 1st hand experience than our team does.  If that's not a meaningful advantage, then I don't know what is. 

8 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Looks like Harbhajan is also not happy with India's reluctance for day-night tests. But seriously who asked his opinion. :phehe:

BCCI says no to day-night Test to help India win; Harbhajan not impressed

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23531190/bcci-says-no-day-night-test-help-india-win-harbhajan-singh-not-impressed

India is a democratic society. He is entitled to his opinion like billion others. With more than 400 wkts I say he knows a little bit more about the game than you and I.

9 hours ago, Khota said:

This Indian behavior of being on the trailing edge of technology is not new. It is a poor mindset to resist change evrytime because of the bureaucratic nature of the society. It was same mindset for DRS which was a step in the right direction. The ball will not retain shine all the time and will spin.  While travelling spinners never had advantage anyway so that is a mute point. Australia most likely would be beaten by pace. 

Both sides will have the same type of balls. Rest is all complaining.

funny is that ....india will have the advantage if ball swings....bhuvi etc  vs aussie bowlers who struggle to swing the ball and rely of seam movement.....also aussie lineup will struggle against swing.

6 hours ago, Khota said:

India is a democratic society. He is entitled to his opinion like billion others. With more than 400 wkts I say he knows a little bit more about the game than you and I.

See you got it all wrong. Cricketers in India are there to be seen and not heard , ICF posters are much more informed than Harbhajan Singh because 3 wickets on a Sunday morning with friends makes them much more qualified than 400+ test wickets 

India has no experience with day-night Test cricket, and rightly so they have rejected this and they don't want any experiment when playing in such an important series. This is completely different to their previous stupid stance against DRS.

COA did the right thing to consult Kohli before taking the decision. 

Edited by Lannister
7 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

See you got it all wrong. Cricketers in India are there to be seen and not heard , ICF posters are much more informed than Harbhajan Singh because 3 wickets on a Sunday morning with friends makes them much more qualified than 400+ test wickets 

Us desis know everything. Just ask me. (sarcasm)

Edited by Khota
8 hours ago, LORD_analyst said:

funny is that ....india will have the advantage if ball swings....bhuvi etc  vs aussie bowlers who struggle to swing the ball and rely of seam movement.....also aussie lineup will struggle against swing.

India has a better bowling attack and a better batting order. I do no understand this stubborness. Actually I do because of the nature of the bureaucratic society.

12 minutes ago, Khota said:

India has a better bowling attack and a better batting order. I do no understand this stubborness. Actually I do because of the nature of the bureaucratic society.

believe  me the more spicy pitch or swing the more favoured indian bowlers will be.....if flat pitches then aussie bowling is much more capable than indian to take 20 wickets...we need seam or swing.