maniac

Who would you say has been the most impressive Indian fast bowler this IPL?

I am not going to add a poll as list is too big but....

I don't see anyone has stood out...Umesh probably...He has done well here and there but apart from that not a single standout Indian fast bowler so far.

Kaul too makes a case with his performances which has earned him a India cap but looks very innocuous and average.

Edited by maniac

Just now, velu said:

1) mavi .. though he got punished few times , he is still impressive

2) hardik pandya

3) siraj ..

4) deepak chahar - backup for bhuvi and he will keep improving

5) prasid

6) kaul

avesh .. impressed us in his first game and totally went down the drain later 

No Umesh for you ?

3 minutes ago, velu said:

1) mavi .. though he got punished few times , he is still impressive

2) hardik pandya

3) siraj ..

4) deepak chahar - backup for bhuvi and he will keep improving

5) prasid

6) kaul

avesh .. impressed us in his first game and totally went down the drain later 

Prasidh has been a standout a little bit but bits and pieces performances don't count...none have stood out

It's t20 cricket, flat pitches, small grounds, very difficult for young fast bowlers to be good game after game played in very short duration. Most young Indian fast bowlers have been impressive. Don't expect them to do great ever game. Avesh was good in his first three games, Mavi has been good in some games, prasidh was amazing in a game where 450 runs were scored. Siraj has improved as the IPL progressed. Chahar has been pretty good too. Rajpoot also got a 5-fer. Only uncapped bowled to do that ever in IPL. They all have shown brilliance to get noticed. For me, Mavi has been the most impressive despite being taken for runs in two games. He has shown real fire at the age of 19.

Edited by rkt.india

I have enjoyed the bowling of most Indian pacers, especially the U23 ones.

T20 is an unforgiving format for genuine pacers ...  there is no time to warm up, bowling stereotypically good lines and lengths often mean getting hit badly, pace can become a foe rather than a friend in T20s if yorkers are not executed.

But we have seen a lot of exciting talent for test matches and ODIs.  Young pacers who have pace, bounce, ability to move the ball, good stock ball.

Mavi, Prasidh and Avesh have showcased the basics to succeed in the 2 longer formats.  Siraj has improved.

Liked Bumrah, Umesh and Bhuvi's bowling among Team India pacers.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

In fact, no good overseas fast bowled too.

In t20 may be they want to last the whole season and collect pay check. If you do just fine they will pick you still. Stanlake was bowling fast though.

[Hyderabad bias]

I sincerely hope Siraj puts up better performances and becomes a regular in Indian team. Hyderabad players (I mean actual Hyderabadis not SRH players ) are hardly there in the Ipl scene let alone in the Indian team.

Last match though I wanted SRH to win, but deep down I was so happy Siraj pulled off a good last over.

[\Hyderabad bias]

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Plenty to be happy about in terms of seeing the speeds of the bowlers available and the raw talent on show. Don't judge bowlers on the amount of runs given in T20's. They will do better in the longer formats and have the potential to improve further.

Siraj was expensive last IPL but still not the worst. At Internationals, he became canon fodder. These kids are cannon fodder even in IPL, they would be even more rubbish in Internationals at the moment. None of them is prepared it seems. Plenty of time for the kids to improve though. 

53 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Siraj was expensive last IPL but still not the worst. At Internationals, he became canon fodder. These kids are cannon fodder even in IPL, they would be even more rubbish in Internationals at the moment. None of them is prepared it seems. Plenty of time for the kids to improve though. 

Siraj did not bowl anywhere close to what he is bowling now. He was for sure overwhelmed in those T20 games he played.  Low in pace and poor in direction.

51 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Chahar is thoroughly mediocre. I can bet all of ambanis money on that. :p:

why do you think so? He bowls at a decent pace and moves the ball around. No other bowler got swing yesterday but he did. He is probably the best swing bowler in the country, atm. Sandeep Sharma swings the ball too but has lost pace.  I would for sure take Chahar to England test tour. He is getting swing when others are not. BK and Chahar will form a good opening pair in England followed by Bumrah as the third bowler and genuine hit the deck fast bowler. Umesh can come in if we play 4 seamers. Shami is hopeless.

55 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

why do you think so? He bowls at a decent pace and moves the ball around. No other bowler got swing yesterday but he did. He is probably the best swing bowler in the country, atm. Sandeep Sharma swings the ball too but has lost pace.  I would for sure take Chahar to England test tour. He is getting swing when others are not. BK and Chahar will form a good opening pair in England followed by Bumrah as the third bowler and genuine hit the deck fast bowler. Umesh can come in if we play 4 seamers. Shami is hopeless.

With the way Umesh has been bowling it will be dumb to leave him out of the paying 11 in England. Kumar, Umesh, Bumrah will be my frontline pacers. Shami/Ishant will be the 4th pacer.

7 minutes ago, Mosher said:

With the way Umesh has been bowling it will be dumb to leave him out of the paying 11 in England. Kumar, Umesh, Bumrah will be my frontline pacers. Shami/Ishant will be the 4th pacer.

To be honest, Umesh and Shami are two bowlers I will never trust. Seen them enough. Umesh is fit but you never know which Umesh turns up on the given day. With Shami, he is unfit to bowl 20 overs in a day with intensity in 4-5 spells.  This showed in SA where he was brilliant in spells that improved his stats but largely lethargic and lacking intensity.  When the games were on the line, he kept disappointing.  Shami on SA tour was the biggest example of misleading stats.  His stats looks so good, but who saw him bowl will know he went missing at the most crucial times with his lack of intensity.  His fitness is a huge question mark.  He was a big disappointment last England tour too and issue was fitness and that issue still remains.  We will have to see how Umesh does in warm ups or ODIs.

31 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

To be honest, Umesh and Shami are two bowlers I will never trust. Seen them enough. Umesh is fit but you never know which Umesh turns up on the given day. With Shami, he is unfit to bowl 20 overs in a day with intensity in 4-5 spells.  This showed in SA where he was brilliant in spells that improved his stats but largely lethargic and lacking intensity.  When the games were on the line, he kept disappointing.  Shami on SA tour was the biggest example of misleading stats.  His stats looks so good, but who saw him bowl will know he went missing at the most crucial times with his lack of intensity.  His fitness is a huge question mark.  He was a big disappointment last England tour too and issue was fitness and that issue still remains.  We will have to see how Umesh does in warm ups or ODIs.

At least Umesh has a future, Shami is done.

40 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I agree with you that Umesh can be inconsistent and will be a risk but only for LOI's. Tests am not so worried as he will have a bit of a cushion and will have a chance to make a comeback if he bowls a poor spell. I will pick him for his ability to swing the new and old ball. He has the fitness to not lose intensity and start trundling in later spells. Don't know how Chahar will bowl with a older ball.  

51 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Shami was under a lot of mental tension during the S.A. tour, due to the brewing tensions with his wife. His lack of intensity in spells must have been due to that.

Despite this, he went on to become the highest wicket-taker on that tour... which speaks volumes about his ability. 

Bumrah was the only pacer on our side who maintaned intensity in most spells in the tests in SA. 

If we use a new pacer like Chahar in tests in England then there is still a lot of chance that he will lose intensity in subsequent spells. His ability to bowl 20 overs a day with intensity is unknown. ( Saini is the only uncapped pacer about whom we are sure that he can maintain intensity ).

I agree with @Mosher bro that Bumrah, Bhuvi and Umesh will be the best 3 pacers for England tests based on current form. ( Shami's mental state is the issue here and not his lack of dependability )

I would prefer playing 4 proper pacers in England, like the last SA  test.

Edited by express bowling

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I agree with @Mosher bro that Bumrah, Bhuvi and Umesh will be the best 3 pacers for England tests based on current form. ( Shami's mental state is the issue here and not his lack of dependability )

Bro I think Ishant will be in the playing 11 because of his "county" experience in place of Bumrah/Umesh. Our bowling attack will most likely be Bhuvi, Ishant, Bumrah/Umesh, Pandya, spinner. 

12 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Bro I think Ishant will be in the playing 11 because of his "county" experience in place of Bumrah/Umesh. Our bowling attack will most likely be Bhuvi, Ishant, Bumrah/Umesh, Pandya, spinner. 

Yes, there is a possibility of that.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Shami was under a lot of mental tension during the S.A. tour, due to the brewing tensions with his wife. His lack of intensity in spells must have been due to that.

Despite this, he went on to become the highest wicket-taker on that tour... which speaks volumes about his ability. 

Bumrah was the only pacer on our side who maintaned intensity in most spells in the tests in SA. 

If we use a new pacer like Chahar in tests in England then there is still a lot of chance that he will lose intensity in subsequent spells. His ability to bowl 20 overs a day with intensity is unknown. ( Saini is the only uncapped pacer about whom we are sure that he can maintain intensity ).

Shami's stats on SA tour were misleading. He went missing every time, you needed him to take wickets and mostly took wickets when game was practically over for us. You want bowlers who delivers at the right time. Consistency is key to test bowling. Even BK does not bowl with intensity throughout the test but because he hits consistent areas, he is always a threat whenever he gets a slight help despite being low in pace. Shami is one who if not bowling with intensity will consistently deliver boundary balls. you dont need 140KPh bowlers in England.  One is enough. 130-135K moving the ball, hitting right areas can do the job for us. We need to bowlers like BK for England and one 140-145K bowler who can bowl a few bouncers and keep the batsman honest.

Edited by rkt.india

31 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Shami's stats on SA tour were misleading. He went missing every time, you needed him to take wickets and mostly took wickets when game was practically over for us. You want bowlers who delivers at the right time. Consistency is key to test bowling. Even BK does not bowl with intensity throughout the test but because he hits consistent areas, he is always a threat whenever he gets a slight help despite being low in pace. Shami is one who if not bowling with intensity will consistently deliver boundary balls. you dont need 140KPh bowlers in England.  One is enough. 130-135K moving the ball, hitting right areas can do the job for us. We need to bowlers like BK for England and one 140-145K bowler who can bowl a few bouncers and keep the batsman honest.

As I said in my earlier post, Shami was under mental pressure in SA due to ongoing tensions with his wife.  His performance there is not a reflection of his normal ability.

As for England, in recent times, the ball does not swing all the time. Additionally,  many of pitches become abrasive after 2 or 3 days. Spinners have done better. We saw in the Lords test we played last time that it was a green top for 2 days and needed hit-the-deck bowling in the last 2 or 3 days.

We can't afford to have 2 pacers who can look threatening ONLY IF the ball swings. We have Bhuvi for that. Umesh is an outswing  bowler too, who can perform with the old ball also.

1. Rahul

2. Vijay

3. Pujara 

4. Kohli

5. Rahane

6. Ashwin

7. Saha

8. Bhuvi

9. Umesh

10. Shami / Saini  ** 

11. Bumrah

This would be my playing 11.

Saini would play if Shami is mentally not focused.

None of the pacers in this IPL have shown consistency. Even Umesh and Hardik have been hot and cold. 

The uncapped pacers have been rubbish, giving performance in only 1 match. They would be feasted upon at international level where they will have to bowl against lots of international players in T20i. The influx of quality is just not there. The same reputed T20i bowlers like Rashid, Tye, Narine are enjoying success. 

T20i skills are very different to test and ODi. Some of the pacers are totally brainless, bowling to batsman's strengths. No wonder they get tonked for 50 + runs or give overs like 25. We are totally dependent on Bumrah and Hardik in T201. Kuldeep and Chahal in spin department. There is no fresh performing talent.

People expecting consistency from bowlers in T20 cricket. Even Kuldeep and Chahal have been poor. Bumrah only delivered in a handful of games, hot and cold.  None of them have been consistent.  It is moronic to expect consistency from bowlers in T20 cricket on flattest of the tracks.  if bowlers start delivering with consistency, teams wont cross 140-150 and no one will come to watch IPL that is why they make flat pitches.  

Edited by rkt.india

26 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

People expecting consistency from bowlers in T20 cricket. Even Kuldeep and Chahal have been poor. Bumrah only delivered in a handful of games, hot and cold.  None of them have been consistent.  It is moronic to expect consistency from bowlers in T20 cricket on flattest of the tracks.  if bowlers start deliveries with consistency, teams wont cross 140-150 and no one will come to watch IPL that is why they make flat pitches.  

Yes it is a point ,but I think they are complaining about something else for eg Avesh khan bowled foolishly ,"short" stuffs to Rayudu who went into carnage mode in that particular over,yes Avesh has struggled consistently in 3-4 matches now,

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

As I said in my earlier post, Shami was under mental pressure in SA due to ongoing tensions with his wife.  His performance there is not a reflection of his normal ability.

As for England, in recent times, the ball does not swing all the time. Additionally,  many of pitches become abrasive after 2 or 3 days. Spinners have done better. We saw in the Lords test we played last time that it was a green top for 2 days and needed hit-the-deck bowling in the last 2 or 3 days.

We can't afford to have 2 pacers who can look threatening ONLY IF the ball swings. We have Bhuvi for that. Umesh is an outswing  bowler too, who can perform with the old ball also.

1. Rahul

2. Vijay

3. Pujara 

4. Kohli

5. Rahane

6. Ashwin

7. Saha

8. Bhuvi

9. Umesh

10. Shami / Saini  ** 

11. Bumrah

This would be my playing 11.

Saini would play if Shami is mentally not focused.

I've lost confidence in Pujara for overseas tests. If some other top order batter is in good form around that time, I'd pick him in place of Pujara. I'd also pick Pandya as the 4th pacer. 

Vijay

Rahul

????

* Kohli

Rahane

+ Saha

Pandya

Ashwin / Kuldeep

Bhuvi

Umesh

Bumrah

Guest, sign in to access all features.