Is Dhoni more popular than Sachin ?

velu

Any Google trend is not enough to quantify the effect sachin had on cricket. 

The socio-economic structure of India was very much different to what we have now. 

India was a struggling economy and facing set backs on all fronts. SACHIN was one of the very few things Indians can feel proud about during those days. People use to turn off the TV once sachin use to get out. He had pan India fan following and hardly any haters. All of this was in the time when there was no hype and PR machinery to create reverence for a cricketer. Some years back I was in kerala, and I was astonished to find fans of sachin among the guys who don't even like cricket. 

To put things in perspective, Dhoni may become the most popular player of India but he can never become an emotion that sachin was. 

2 minutes ago, Anoop K said:

No.Sachin was way more popular. There was a report how sourav got angry when he was completely overshadowed by sachin's stardom when they arrived to play a match in the year 2001/02. 

Sachin even after his retirement is one of the most searched cricketer.

natural progression ..

sunny , kapil was more popular ..

then came sachin..

now dhoni ..

tomorrow kohli..

day after tomorrow it might be pant 

1 minute ago, Scar said:

Any Google trend is not enough to quantify the effect sachin had on cricket. 

The socio-economic structure of India was very much different to what we have now. 

India was a struggling economy and facing set backs on all fronts. SACHIN was one of the very few things Indians can feel proud about during those days. People use to turn off the TV once sachin use to get out. He had pan India fan following and hardly any haters. All of this was in the time when there was no hype and PR machinery to create reverence for a cricketer. Some years back I was in kerala, and I was astonished to find fans of sachin among the guys who don't even like cricket. 

To put things in perspective, Dhoni may become the most popular player of India but he can never become an emotion that sachin was. 

Yup. He inspired lot of guys. Kohli, Sehwag.

14 minutes ago, velu said:

dhoni started very late .. dhoni is ahead from 2011 as well :aha:

Ok. Otherwise the result could indicate that Sachin is still popular even after his retirement 

Also we don’t know what is driving those searches. For e.g. Trump- Kim meeting could drive their respective searches 

Edited by zen

3 minutes ago, zen said:

Ok. Otherwise the result could indicate that Sachin is still popular even after his retirement 

Also we don’t know what is driving those searches. For e.g. Trump- Kim meeting could drive their respective searches 

anyway currently dhoni is more popular :p:

and i am not saying that he will stay at #1 forever 

heard this in select commentary as well ( kumble , deano .. were discussing about dhonis popularity ) .. after vvs ka post i thought we have a good potential with this topic :secret:

Just now, Zelig said:

Average Indian doesn't like cockiness. :om:

I think female following is a lot more for him for his coolness. That is one aspect i have noticed. Some of my relatives (females who don't really follow cricket that much) became his fan after listening to one post match interview. ICF pulse is very very different. 

Way more popular. Oldies dont want to accept that newer generations does not care about Sachin. He is past. They are more or less settled on forums like ICF where they want to glorify past and live in their dream world.

Also, since T20 cricket(IPL) has brought in more crowd, most of them revere Dhoni and have no clue about Sachin. Dhoni pops nowadays in stadiums are just so awesome to see, almost like how WWE had Austin and Rock entries.

In any case, India continues to love Dhoni regardless of what ICF feels.