Is Dhoni more popular than Sachin ?

velu

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Sachin got booed by his own crowd once if i remember right. I mean he is hugely popular across the world.  But level of craze is more for Dhoni. 10000 people went just to see him going to have a haircut :)

It was in Mumbai , England test and I was there . As much as I wanted Tendulkar to retire , it was pretty sad to see

58 minutes ago, Scar said:

Any Google trend is not enough to quantify the effect sachin had on cricket. 

The socio-economic structure of India was very much different to what we have now. 

India was a struggling economy and facing set backs on all fronts. SACHIN was one of the very few things Indians can feel proud about during those days. People use to turn off the TV once sachin use to get out. He had pan India fan following and hardly any haters. All of this was in the time when there was no hype and PR machinery to create reverence for a cricketer. Some years back I was in kerala, and I was astonished to find fans of sachin among the guys who don't even like cricket. 

To put things in perspective, Dhoni may become the most popular player of India but he can never become an emotion that sachin was. 

To an extent I agree , but some one like Kapil an WC winning All-rounder would have been way ahead of both Dhoni and Tendulkar . People at least had TVs to watch Tendulkar , imagine some one like Kapil today , he would have been not just Indian teams most valuable player but also the hottest players in IPL . 

You are right about Kapil dev. He had everything. Great bowler, Great hitter, Great fielder. Successful captain. He would have been darling of everyone. WHy now. Even back then when Kapil was dropped for Kolkatta test after he played a lofted shot to get out at Delhi, entire Kolkatta crowd booed Sunil Gavaskar.  Kapil was a very very popular cricketer ala Dhoni is now.

Nope ,but he's the only one close and thats mostly because of the ipl factor.

Kohli not there yet but when dhoni retires he'll too reach that level and people will then say he's more popular than dhoni 

17 minutes ago, adi B said:

Nope ,but he's the only one close and thats mostly because of the ipl factor.

Kohli not there yet but when dhoni retires he'll too reach that level and people will then say he's more popular than dhoni 

dont go just based on ICF .. ICF emerged with whn sachin was popular ..

becaue of the emergance of facebook/reddit , new generation of people are not joining the sites like ICF ( same goes with other domain like finance as well ) ..

google trend shows otherwise :p:

2 hours ago, Shunya said:

Way more popular. Oldies dont want to accept that newer generations does not care about Sachin. He is past. They are more or less settled on forums like ICF where they want to glorify past and live in their dream world.

Also, since T20 cricket(IPL) has brought in more crowd, most of them revere Dhoni and have no clue about Sachin. Dhoni pops nowadays in stadiums are just so awesome to see, almost like how WWE had Austin and Rock entries.

In any case, India continues to love Dhoni regardless of what ICF feels.

Dhoni's most of good years have overlapped with SRT's career.

2 hours ago, Shunya said:

Way more popular. Oldies dont want to accept that newer generations does not care about Sachin. He is past. They are more or less settled on forums like ICF where they want to glorify past and live in their dream world.

Also, since T20 cricket(IPL) has brought in more crowd, most of them revere Dhoni and have no clue about Sachin. Dhoni pops nowadays in stadiums are just so awesome to see, almost like how WWE had Austin and Rock entries.

In any case, India continues to love Dhoni regardless of what ICF feels.

:cantstop:ICF oldies(sachin chamchas) needs to retire from this forum. 

2 hours ago, Anoop K said:

No.Sachin was way more popular. There was a report how sourav got angry when he was completely overshadowed by sachin's stardom when they arrived to play a match in the year 2001/02. 

Sachin even after his retirement is one of the most searched cricketer.

When was the last time an active "way more popular" celebrity had lower number of followers than a retired celebrity on social media?

At least you would expect numbers to be close, but that's not the case.

9 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Facebook

SRT - 28M followers

Dhoni - 20M followers

Twitter

SRT - 20M followers

Dhoni - 7M followers.

7 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

When was the last time an active "way more popular" celebrity had lower number of followers than a retired celebrity on social media?

At least you would expect numbers to be close, but that's not the case.

dhoni  is not active in social media .. 

rarely tweets or posts in instgram 

also "more popular" and not "having more fans"  ( can beat you guys in that dept too ) :p:

Edited by velu

2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Any celebrity "way more popular" will easily have more followers even with lower activity.

provided if that celebrity is active there .. dhoni's PR team bit late into twitter and insta stuffs

if you cant agree with what google says , i cant help 

14 minutes ago, velu said:

provided if that celebrity is active there .. dhoni's PR team bit late into twitter and insta stuffs

if you cant agree with what google says , i cant help 

Same goes for SRT. 

At least Dhoni posts something on social media. SRT isn't active in cricket and still remain close on those trends. Shows he is easily more popular. Since Dhoni is active, so it's natural that there will be more searches about him. 

But Facebook and twitter followers count shows SRT is easily more popular than Dhoni.

2 people talking whole day about you can give you better trends, than someone for whom there isn't anything to talk about. However if 10 persons admire you, then you're not more popular than guy whom 50 people know and admire.

It's pretty straightfoward.

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Same goes for SRT. 

At least Dhoni posts something on social media. SRT isn't active in cricket and still remain close on those trends. Shows he is easily more popular. Since Dhoni is active, so it's natural that there will be more searches about him. 

But Facebook and twitter followers count shows SRT is easily more popular than Dhoni.

2 people talking whole day about you can give you better trends, than someone for whom there isn't anything to talk about. However if 10 persons admire you, then you're not more popular than guy whom 50 people know and admire.

It's pretty straightfoward.

point of the thread is who is more popular CURRENTLY .. ofcouse dhonis popularity will go down when he retires 

i would suggest to read how "google trend" works .. 

*) sachin tweets way more than dhoni still , 500 vs 2500 

4 minutes ago, velu said:

point of the thread is who is more popular CURRENTLY .. ofcouse dhonis popularity will go down when he retires 

i would suggest to read how "google trend" works .. 

*) sachin tweets way more than dhoni still , 500 vs 2500 

Point is popularity (even current one) doesn't mean more talk about it. Populariy is how many people like you, not how much people are talking about you.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-single-word-that-means-most-talked-about

You're looking for currently most talked about person and that quora answers lists some words for it, but popularity isn't same as being most talked about. 

I think you originally intended to ask "who is more tending cricketer - sachin or dhoni" and definitely answer is Dhoni. But when you look for who is more popular, then you can easily see answer is Sachin.

7 minutes ago, velu said:

@Trichromatic

instagram stats .. now its 6m vs 4.5m :phehe:

now dont say priya is more popular than mark 

Priya-Mark-3-600x380.jpg

What do you say about trends?

Guess, zuckerberg isn't even close.