Is Dhoni more popular than Sachin ?

velu

12 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Point is popularity (even current one) doesn't mean more talk about it. Populariy is how many people like you, not how much people are talking about you.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-single-word-that-means-most-talked-about

You're looking for currently most talked about person and that quora answers lists some words for it, but popularity isn't same as being most talked about. 

I think you originally intended to ask "who is more tending cricketer - sachin or dhoni" and definitely answer is Dhoni. But when you look for who is more popular, then you can easily see answer is Sachin.

even then , followers in twitter and facebook is not a  yardstick..

as i said msd team is bit late to socila media and even now they dont post much..

we can take another example of narendra modi vs rahul gandhi as well ..

rahul gandhis followers doubled in 2 weeks after congress ka PR campaign .. it really doesnt mean any change in the ground level 

Edited by velu

2 minutes ago, velu said:

even then , followers in twitter and facebook is not an yardstick..

as i said msd team is bit late to socila media and even now they dont post much..

we can take another example of narendra modi vs rahul gandhi as well ..

rahul gandhis followers doubled in 2 weeks after congress ka PR campaign .. it really doesnt mean any change in the ground level 

Check google trends of Priya and Zuckerberg.

Priya is way ahead. So how is trends more accurate reflection of popularity than instagram, facebook and twitter?

Your example itself shows that social media count is better reflection and thank you for searching that example. I would have never been able to find so good example to support my argument.

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

And that's why you check Facebook and twitter too and see that see isn't close. 

facebook , insta and twitter are all socila media and more you post or your team is active , more followers you will get ..

megan fox has 5.2 million follwers in instagram..

kate upton has 6 million follwers in instagram ..

wise men wont say megan fox is more popular than kate upton :p:

15 minutes ago, velu said:

@Trichromatic priya varrier and nit just priya ..  sorry to say this , mark is way ahead ..

good night .. need to get up before 11am

image.png

I never searched for Priya Varrier. 

Both Priya and Priya Prakash are higher than Mark Zuckerberg. Is there any other priya or priya prakash?

22 minutes ago, velu said:

facebook , insta and twitter are all socila media and more you post or your team is active , more followers you will get ..

megan fox has 5.2 million follwers in instagram..

kate upton has 6 million follwers in instagram ..

wise men wont say megan fox is more popular than kate upton :p:

Your point noted. But if anything how does it show that trends is better measure popularity than social media numbers. In fact, your example itself shows trends is far from what you're expecting. Social media numbers are closer.

The way Dhoni "revolutionized" the Indian Men's Cricket Team by his cliquish nonsense , to the point that DhoniBandana is an anthem for all the junior cricketers even now , I won't be surprised if Dhoni becomes a bigger influence in the minds of Indian Cricket followers 50 yrs back.
Dhoni has a huge advantage over Sachin despite being a much inferior player that he has a charismatic personality.
Plus he won all the relevant tournaments as a captain.
Remember that book Zoya Factor that was released 10 yrs back?
That was a homage to the Dhoni Craze prevalent then
Having a romance chick lit book who's hero is allegorised to be based on someone is pretty a big deal.
Uparse he had a biopic that immortalised him even before he retired LMFAOOO.
Love him, hate him, you can't just ignore him.
And I don't think Dhoni will hang out as a clueless brand ambassador like Sachin.
He will try to get into active cricket administrator post retirement.

Right now , Sachin may be more popular , but for a lasting legacy, I think Dhoni is the better candidate.
Honestly, it is all about how you market yourself.
Dhoni has the better personality+aggressive PR with him.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

The way Dhoni "revolutionized" the Indian Men's Cricket Team by his cliquish nonsense , to the point that DhoniBandana is an anthem for all the junior cricketers even now , I won't be surprised if Dhoni becomes a bigger influence in the minds of Indian Cricket followers 50 yrs back.
Dhoni has a huge advantage over Sachin despite being a much inferior player that he has a charismatic personality.
Plus he won all the relevant tournaments as a captain.
Remember that book Zoya Factor that was released 10 yrs back?
That was a homage to the Dhoni Craze prevalent then
Having a romance chick lit book who's hero is allegorised to be based on someone is pretty a big deal.
Uparse he had a biopic that immortalised him even before he retired LMFAOOO.
Love him, hate him, you can't just ignore him.
And I don't think Dhoni will hang out as a clueless brand ambassador like Sachin.
He will try to get into active cricket administrator post retirement.

Right now , Sachin may be more popular , but for a lasting legacy, I think Dhoni is the better candidate.
Honestly, it is all about how you market yourself.
Dhoni has the better personality+aggressive PR with him.

That was well summarized. You have captured all the key reasons. Yes it is not a testimony how good a player he is. It is a testimony to how he connects well with the audience. Apart from ICF i don't see anywhere Dhoni getting ridiculed.  So many called Tendulkar selfish even when he was doing very well. Yuvraj a world cup winner have gone  through this. Ganguly went through this. Once Dhoni leaves CSK will be nothing. CSK = DHoni, Dhoni = CSK. 

That was well summarized. You have captured all the key reasons. Yes it is not a testimony how good a player he is. It is a testimony to how he connects well with the audience. Apart from ICF i don't see anywhere Dhoni getting ridiculed.  So many called Tendulkar selfish even when he was doing very well. Yuvraj a world cup winner have gone  through this. Ganguly went through this. Once Dhoni leaves CSK will be nothing. CSK = DHoni, Dhoni = CSK. 

Audience connection is a huge thing for Celebrities.
Dhoni has an appealing personality that resonates well with the crowd .
Yes , Sachin was the child batting prodigy, and Kohli the new ladkiyon ki deewana(I don't know why),but the way both of their PR graphs are going, I don't think they will be relevant 50 yrs after.
Sachin might still be somewhat remembered as he did extraordinary stuff in the game but he really needs to connect more with the audience.
Kohli is just your standard Delhi Brat- or rather as I would like to put it, Poor Man's Cristiano Ronaldo .
He will be forgotten after he retires-if he doesn't take up coaching or similar cricket administrative roles.
He will just remain as a socialite
To be the deewana of the crowd, you need not to play only good, but have a personality that can hook people in .

I still remember the ginormous Mahi Craze back during 2007-08 .
LMFAOO.
It was even bigger than ModiWave.

That CSK team just popular because Mahi is a part of it.
Love him or hate him, you can't just ignore Mahi.
That said, I feel Indian cricket is gonna be less popular in the coming days.

Sports in India is more of a mania fuelled by Nationalism and Personality Cult .

And as much good as they play,I don't see the likes of Pant fuelling craze on the level of Dhoni or even Bhajji and Yuvi.
All of them have a very wannabe personality instead of the spontaneity , originality and warmth that Dhoni's personality had.
While it contrasted with the clean cut gentlemen personalities of Sourav , Sachin,VVS and Dravid-Dhoni was just being original.
That's why people loved him despite him looking like a rowdy.

Cricket in India is Gradually Declining IMO.
Wannabe derivatives won't do much to improve the conditions LMFAOOO

As an average Indian, you now have a lot of alternatives to cricket..Internet, social media, gaming, movies, tv series, bla bla. Back then, apart from movies cricket was the only option, and Sachin occupied the mind space of all Indians - He was synonymous with Indian cricket. Though Dhoni is the most popular among the modern cricketers, we cannot compare him with Sachin in his hay day.

5 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

As an average Indian, you now have a lot of alternatives to cricket..Internet, social media, gaming, movies, tv series, bla bla. Back then, apart from movies cricket was the only option, and Sachin occupied the mind space of all Indians - He was synonymous with Indian cricket. Though Dhoni is the most popular among the modern cricketers, we cannot compare him with Sachin in his hay day.

Agree with everything but I think Kohli is the most popular cricketer right now. 

He was in Time's most influential list this year.

Dhoni has not been the most popular cricketer even his team. First SRT then Kohli took over.

8 hours ago, velu said:

dont go just based on ICF .. ICF emerged with whn sachin was popular ..

becaue of the emergance of facebook/reddit , new generation of people are not joining the sites like ICF ( same goes with other domain like finance as well ) ..

google trend shows otherwise :p:

Dhoni is very popular of course and more popular than Sachin atm ,whenever I went to watch dd vs csk at kotla,it's almost half the stadium that supports csk due to msd.but I am talking about peak popularity ,where I am sure Sachin just edges dhoni imo. 

With dhoni at the last legs of his career ,pretty he'll draw more support than ever 

5 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Audience connection is a huge thing for Celebrities.
Dhoni has an appealing personality that resonates well with the crowd .
Yes , Sachin was the child batting prodigy, and Kohli the new ladkiyon ki deewana(I don't know why),but the way both of their PR graphs are going, I don't think they will be relevant 50 yrs after.
Sachin might still be somewhat remembered as he did extraordinary stuff in the game but he really needs to connect more with the audience.
Kohli is just your standard Delhi Brat- or rather as I would like to put it, Poor Man's Cristiano Ronaldo .
He will be forgotten after he retires-if he doesn't take up coaching or similar cricket administrative roles.
He will just remain as a socialite
To be the deewana of the crowd, you need not to play only good, but have a personality that can hook people in .

I still remember the ginormous Mahi Craze back during 2007-08 .
LMFAOO.
It was even bigger than ModiWave.

That CSK team just popular because Mahi is a part of it.
Love him or hate him, you can't just ignore Mahi.
That said, I feel Indian cricket is gonna be less popular in the coming days.

Sports in India is more of a mania fuelled by Nationalism and Personality Cult .

And as much good as they play,I don't see the likes of Pant fuelling craze on the level of Dhoni or even Bhajji and Yuvi.
All of them have a very wannabe personality instead of the spontaneity , originality and warmth that Dhoni's personality had.
While it contrasted with the clean cut gentlemen personalities of Sourav , Sachin,VVS and Dravid-Dhoni was just being original.
That's why people loved him despite him looking like a rowdy.

Cricket in India is Gradually Declining IMO.
Wannabe derivatives won't do much to improve the conditions LMFAOOO

Why the hell should care about personality and popularity. One is playing Indian cricket to bring laureal to india as long as pants, rahul, mavi , nagarkotti would be able to bring that. Indian cricket  'll do good.

IMO sachin's peak popularity was more than Dhoni. He was on Time's cover page, beat AB Vajpayee and SRK in 1999 survey of popularity, Pakistani parliament announcing his dismissal in 1999 WC in mid of session, he was always more popular than his contemporaries like Dada and Dravid, Kohli beats dhoni these days,even laws were changed to make him Bharat ratna (sportsmen got included).First time Bharat ratna was proposed for sachin in parliament,in the year 2003 though he received it much later.

Can't go with no of fb,Twitter followers .rafa has more follower in Twitter and just shades ahead In fb iirc but that's because rogie's official page ain't too active coz fed is far ahead in popularity against anyone 

12 minutes ago, adi B said:

Can't go with no of fb,Twitter followers .rafa has more follower in Twitter and just shades ahead In fb iirc but that's because rogie's official page ain't too active coz fed is far ahead in popularity against anyone 

Fb, Twitter are still better indicators than trends.

11 hours ago, jusarrived said:

It was in Mumbai , England test and I was there . As much as I wanted Tendulkar to retire , it was pretty sad to see

To an extent I agree , but some one like Kapil an WC winning All-rounder would have been way ahead of both Dhoni and Tendulkar . People at least had TVs to watch Tendulkar , imagine some one like Kapil today , he would have been not just Indian teams most valuable player but also the hottest players in IPL . 

Kapil dev was unfortunate in the fact that he won us the world cup when cricket wasn't that popular and hockey was the game for the masses during that time.

Him winning the world Cup was the push India needed to encourage small town kids to take up Cricket and be successful like Kapil dev. Earlier it was common understanding that only big city boys have the right to play for national teams.

Also, radio was the main source of information during that time, and audio can't generate emotions that visuals can. That is why Dhoni's six will be remembered a lot more than however India won in Kapil's era. 

Imagine, Kapil dev winning it 1992 instead if Imran khan. His popularity would have skyrocketed and reverence for him would've been at it's zenith. Reason why he seems like a snobby person to me, who holds grudge against everyone for not treating a world cup winner captain like they should.