Old Bollywood movies

Straight Drive

"Disco Dancer" 

Mithun Chakraborty, Kim Yashpal, Rajesh Khanna, Om Puri, Om Shivpuri, Gita Siddharth

Music: Bappi Lahiri

very good movie. Big hit in that era. Many hit songs like "I am a Disco Dancer" and "Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy" , "Auva Auva" and "Yaad araha hai" were famous tunes. The movie started with the Special appearance of Rajesh Khanna in the song " Goro ki na kaalo ki, yeh duniya hai dilwalo ki". One of Mithun's best ever. 

I had this as one of my gramophone collection and used to listen to those songs  frequently.

Feel free to add your favorites as well.

Many of the movies from 50s-70s period are among my favorites

From the 80s, it is usually the films staring Amitabh and by Subhash Ghai that I remember, along with some hits by Jeetendra. There were also hits such as Ek Duje Ke Liya (may not have aged well), Betaab and Love Story. Towards the end, we had QSQT and Maine Pyar Kiya. If I m not wrong, Qurbani and Kranti were released in 80s too. And of course Mr. India

90s was a tricky period. Films by Yash Raj did well but may not have aged well. Same with hits by Govinda. Sunny Deol was loud. Films that I remember are Hum, Aankhen and Roja

Edited by zen

6 hours ago, zen said:

Many of the movies from 50s-70s period are among my favorites

From the 80s, it is usually the films staring Amitabh and by Subhash Ghai that I remember, along with some hits by Jeetendra. There were also hits such as Ek Duje Ke Liya (may not have aged well), Betaab and Love Story. Towards the end, we had QSQT and Maine Pyar Kiya. If I m not wrong, Qurbani and Kranti were released in 80s too. And of course Mr. India

90s was a tricky period. Films by Yash Raj did well but may not have aged well. Same with hits by Govinda. Sunny Deol was loud. Films that I remember are Hum, Aankhen and Roja

Ankhein was way ahead of its time. As a matter of fact, if Hollywood makes a movie out of Ankhein, the movie would be legendary. 

"Guide"

Cast: Dev Ananad, Waheeda Rehman, Kishore Sahu, Leela Chitnis

Dev Anand production, directed by his brother Vijay Anand.

Guide is the best movie of Waheeda Rehman who was a good Bharatnatyam dancer. Lots of her Bharatnatyam moves are seen in the  many songs of this movie.

The other melodies being "Aaj phir jeene ki tammana hai", "Tere mere sapne ab ek rang hai", "Piya tose naina lage re", "Gata rahe mera dil","Din dhal jaye","Kya se kya ho gaya bewafaa tere pyar me". Probably no Bollywood movie has given as many hit songs.

The story is very much entertaining and start with Raju being released from. The song "Wahan kaun hai tera...musafir...jayega kaha, koi tera na mera" is wonderfully directed as he moves to another city away from home. The flash begins soon and tells the romantic story between Dev Anand and Waheeda Rehman after she leaves Marco (Kishore Sahu) for not giving her time and ridiculing the art of dancing which she likes a lot. Dev Anand also does role of a Sadhu.

Brilliant story, excellent acting by the pair of Dev Anand and Waheeda Rehamn who did many movies together, wonderful melodies and the dance of Waheeda Rehman.

This was also a part of my gramophone collection. Listened to the songs very frequently. 

Edited by Straight Drive

"Deewar"

Cast: Amitabh Bacchan, Niruapa Roy, Neetu Singh, Shashi Kapoor, Parveen Babi

Another big hit of Amitabh - Shashi duo. A movie which ascertained the tag of "Angry Young Man" to Amitabh Bachchan. As far as acting is concerned everyone did a very good job. 

The song "Keh du tumhe ya chup rahu" is an all time favorite and has been remixed quite a few times in the modern era. 

A story that Indian audience liked. Box office hit. Must watch movie of those times. 

Edited by Straight Drive

40 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

jaane bhi do yaaro

jagte raho (highly recommended )

half ticket

kaagaz ke phool

pyaasa 

shree 420 

satya 

madhumati 

guide

jewel theif 

Out of those, i watched Shree 420 a lot. It used to be shown frequently on DD then, just like Sholay and Tiranga.

"Aasha"

Cast: Jeetendra, Reena Roy, Rameshwari, Girish Karnad.

Music: Laxmikant Pyarelal

The movie is one of the Reena Roy - Jeetendra hit. Reena Roy falls in love of Jeetendra (Truck driver). Jeetendra however gets married to Rameshwari. Immediately after wedding, Jeetendra meets with an accident, but he is wrongly said to be dead by his employer and his mom asks Rameshwari to leave house as she feels she is a bad omen. Rameshwari attempts suicide and everyone feels she is dead. Villagers find her body and bring her to an Ashram. Meanwhile Jeetendra plans to get married to Reena Roy who plays the role of a famous singer. Reena Roy helps Rameshwari to get operated and pays for her operation post which she recovers eyesight. When she goes to attend the invitation of Reena's and Jeetendra's wedding she runs away with their daughter. Girish Karnad gets aware of this and helps them unite. Reena Roy too sacrifices her love. The movie ends as Jeetendra meets Reena Roy and takes her back.

The movie is light on songs. However, the famous hit "Sheesha ho ya dil ho" is a big hit from this movie. Feel the songs could have been better. Jeetendra's dance is funny.

One time watch.  

Mera Naam Joker

Released in 1970, this is one of the best from RK Productions. Wasn't a big hit when launched but over decades this has become popular.  Legendary Raj Kapoor was at his best in direction as in most of his movies. Sangam, Awara, Shree 420 were his other best. One of the longest movie in Bollywood.

Raj Kapoor, Rishi Kapoor, Simi Garewal played the lead roles. Dharmendra, Rajendra Kumar and Dara Singh have special appearances.

Music by Shankar Jaikishen

All time hits like Jeena Yaha marna Yaha, Kehta hai joker and Yeh Bhai Kara dekhke chalo.

Edited by Straight Drive