Trichromatic

AB de Villiers Retires from International Cricket

Very surprising with the WC less than an year away.

May be should have retired from T20Is and Tests, exclusively play only ODI cricket and give one final shot at ODI WC '19

He seems physically fit, in terrific form, and one of the best batters in the world.

May be there are other cricketing / non-cricketing reasons for his retirement ?

Shocking decision. Tbh I thought he'd retire from tests to prolong his career in limited overs cricket & have a last shot at 2019 WC. 
Will miss this fantastic cricketer, an absolute entertainer :bow::hatsoff:

He came back just to deny us a historic series win in SA early this year :((. Why would he quit now? His test run after comeback has been impressive, he had a legit chance to win a WC for his nation next year given the weak field......

Edited by beetle

A contender for an all time ODI XI but For all his amazing LOI feats he should be placed high in the pantheon of greats in tests too... off the top of my head he has more special innings in test cricket than LOIs

Not at all happy with his decision. But it is his life/career. He is such a talent that he will be missed.

As many ppl say here, why not play until WC 2019. You are due to complete 10,000 runs in both ODIs and tests and that way you cement your spot forever in the pantheons on cricketing greats. 

I am too small to say, but your mind is not upto your enormous ability, ABDV. You saying "tired" is really disappointing. :no:

I smell something fishy. Maybe he is not liking the race reservation culture in SA team. Last year he said he is desperate to win a WC before retirement. Its tough to believe he suddenly decide to retire from all formats just 12 months before WC.

Let us wait for the full details to come out but looks like he has screwed SA's 2019 WC chances. Pretty sure their entire batting strategy was molded around him, now with him gone and not enough ODIs for them in the next 10 odd months, what can they possibly do? IMO he should have at least played the WC, even if it meant retiring from other 2 formats....he has left his side deep in the lurch. Unless he has some grave personal reason, this will come out looking like a selfish decision.

23 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I smell something fishy. Maybe he is not liking the race reservation culture in SA team. Last year he said he is desperate to win a WC before retirement. Its tough to believe he suddenly decide to retire from all formats just 12 months before WC.

I concur. Being inclusive is all nice and noble but should it trump merit? Anyways, their country their policies.

Most entertaining batsman after SRT,  don't know how I will watch any of the As matches now since I have got so used to watching AB bat everytime. 

Players will come and go but an entertainer like AB only emerges once I a lifetime. 

Sad news for fans but respect his decision to go when people are wondering "why?" instead of "why not?". On paper this seems premature but only he knows what all pain(physical and emotional) he must have been going through to play at a high level. Just a few days ago, he took a stunning catch(not that flying one) where he landed on his shoulder and got up as if nothing happened. I thought "how long is his body going to last with insane stuff like this?". And today I hear the news that he has retired. 

"It would not be right for me to pick and choose where, when and in what format I play for the Proteas. For me, in the green and gold, it must be everything or nothing. I will always be grateful to the coaches and staff of Cricket South Africa for their support through all these years. The most important thank you goes out to all of my team mates throughout my career, I wouldn't be half the player that I am without the support throughout the years.

That sounds right, not selfish..does not want to linger till 2019 WC pick and choose games to score more centuries against BD, to get a victory lap. Great player. 

I thought he would retire after the WC next year, but I think he has made the right decision. Thanks for the memories AB. Have a good retirement buddy and hope to see you involved in cricket or commentary. :top:

SA abused him for being good in everything  that led to fatigue and forcing him to taking a break last year.Once active sportsman takes a break and he is not the same anymore.

He is one of greatest all rounder cricketers we have a seen, they might have better batsmen or WKs but this guy could do everything on the field except bowling.

Cricket is poorer without his talent.