Washington keen to put IPL lessons to use in England

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/102215/royal-challengers-bangalore-washington-sundar-keen-to-put-ipl-lessons-to-use-in-england-ireland-cricket-news

For both Washington Sundar and his franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore, the current edition of the IPL didn't live up to the expectations. While RCB had to exit after the league stage and prolong their search for an elusive IPL title, the Tamil Nadu all-rounder was confined to four wickets in seven matches. After making telling contributions for Rising Pune Supergiant in his debut IPL last year and winning the Man of the Series for India in the Nidahas Trophy in March, the 18-year-old would have perhaps been hoping to play a more prominent role for the Virat Kohli-led franchise.

Washington, though, has taken it in his stride and insists there was a lot to take away from the last two months. "The experience was very good. To be honest, playing or not playing depends on the selection group. There are a lot of things involved when it comes to making the playing XI in IPL - four foreign players, team combination, etc. It's not disappointing at all. Whenever you play a long tournament like the IPL, there are a lot of things you learn irrespective of how you do," he told the Times of India.

With India set to tour Ireland and England next month for a full-fledged series starting with T20Is against Ireland followed by ODIs and T20s against England, Washington will be hoping to put some of the things he has learned into use, having earned selection in both the ODI and T20 squads.

"I have never played cricket in England before. The challenge will be to get the best out of myself in those conditions. I should not be looking to do things too differently. I just need to be mentally prepared in all aspects. If I can do that, I have the belief that results will go my way and I can succeed there," he assessed.

The upcoming tour will also be Washington's first opportunity to be part of a full strength Indian side with Kohli at the helm of affairs. Spending the past couple of months at RCB under the Indian skipper's watch should stand the youngster in good stead.

"It was amazing to play under Kohli. There are so many things to learn from the way he carries himself and the kind of intensity he brings. You cannot blink when you are playing with him. As captain, he gave me a lot of inputs in terms of strategies and tactics. It definitely helps being around senior players if you are up for it and keen to learn as much as possible. When I'm around stars like Kohli and MS Dhoni (with Pune last year and India), it gives me an added advantage to grasp things quickly."

He needs to concentrate on his batting more, his better suit that will take him forward in future and not just sit on his short term bowling success as his bowling isn't better than Moeen Ali's and has been found out this IPL. Want him to become a batting alrounder and play a role of 6th bowler.

Have to watch him bat...if the team management are backing him for his bowling then good luck with that...need to see him bat....so far looked assured in some cameos...at this point he is Ravindra Jadeja circa 2008-2009...hope he has a much better career with the bat than Jadeja,as a bowler though Jadeja is already one of the best spinners we have produced as much as that is a mind fk....and unless it is an anomaly like Jadeja's bowling success,Sundar needs to show some flair and potential with the bat soon.

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

In TN batsmen become bowler,s bowlers become batsmen. I remember Vidyut sivaramakrishnan left arm spinner who scored a 100 at no.11 went on to become opner for TN. Same way Sundar/Ashwin were openers. They went on to become bowlers.

I think the voice of our generation :giggle:  L.Siva towards the end was trying to justify his place as a batsman too 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

In TN batsmen become bowler,s bowlers become batsmen. I remember Vidyut sivaramakrishnan left arm spinner who scored a 100 at no.11 went on to become opner for TN. Same way Sundar/Ashwin were openers. They went on to become bowlers.

pretty wierdly intersting, may be TN local district level competitions are very amateurish ?

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Sundar is still a batsman for TN, has opened too, only Indian selectors pick him as a bowler.