French Open 2018

I6MTW

Well he's pretty much guaranteed to have freebies especially in Roland Garros.He's a 10 time champion. I don't think draw wouldve mattered anyway. It's pretty much NID that Nadal will win. But if Thiem and djokovic were in the same draw as nadal. Things wouldve been quite interesting. Nadal is really the luckiest out there. Should've lost to zverev last week if it weren't for satanic intervention .

So many withdrawals. 8 LLs so far. Had gunneswaran stayed instead of going to play a challenger he wouldve qualified as 8th in place of kyrgios. We couldve had 2 Indians in the MD. Now it's not possible.

But actually players in Nadals half have been in better form than the players in the other half. Zverev is barely scrapping through to the quarters. This level is not enough to beat Nadal. Djokovic hasn't been that good. He got a nice draw to the semis, but his level is nowhere near his best. Thiem is the only player who's in form. But the players in Nadals half like fognini, del Potro,isner,cilic,schwartzman are all in good form and can trouble nadal.

11 hours ago, I6MTW said:

But actually players in Nadals half have been in better form than the players in the other half. Zverev is barely scrapping through to the quarters. This level is not enough to beat Nadal. Djokovic hasn't been that good. He got a nice draw to the semis, but his level is nowhere near his best. Thiem is the only player who's in form. But the players in Nadals half like fognini, del Potro,isner,cilic,schwartzman are all in good form and can trouble nadal.

But Nadal will play Schwartzman and 1 out of Potro/Isner/Cilic/Fognini before the F....no other threat at all in his draw. I love Schwartzman's fighting spirit but he's a dwarf at the end of the day and Nadal's moonballs on Philippe Chatrier will bounce above the Argentinean's left shoulder. Even if he tries to rally from that wing he will eventually tire out...physics and biology conspire against him and will only be amplified on the 2nd slowest clay court (max bounce too !!!) on the planet. Diego has never beaten Nadal in 5 attempts (2 on clay) and won only one set in this year's AO (low bouncing speedy court). So even history is in Nadal's favor. In the semis he may be up against one of the giants who are all pretty nonthreatening on this surface but if it rains they make take a set. Hope he meets Fog in the semis, at least we'll be entertained either way.

In the other half you have 5 out of the 6 main contenders this year: Thiem, Zverev, Nole, Nishikori, Goffin. The betting odds HERE support my claim and bookmakers do extensive research before releasing the odds. They may not be at their best but they are the only remaining contenders, besides some of them can claim to have really challenged high level Nadal on clay. Nole may look subpar and has had a joke of a draw, I agree. But Nadal will prefer even higher ranked players than Nole who is his greatest rival on clay...you saw how nervous peak Nadal was against a shaky, unfit Djokovic in Rome last month, right? He is someone who can make Nadal under perform in PC because of his aura. Zverev still hasn't had that GS breakthrough but it's only a matter of time, he is destined to end up as an ATG and all ATGs starts somewhere. Thiem is atm the 2nd best clay courter but look at his draw (Tsitsipas-Nishikori-Zverev-Nole?-Nadal?). Even if he gets to the F he will be mentally and physically exhausted thus offering little resistance to the Spanish Bull. And we know how he follows up his big wins. If he beats Nole in SF, Nadal may beat him 6-0 6-2 6-1 in the F if the trend continues. Thiem mentally switches off after a big win and Nole will be a big scalp no matter what level he brings to the SF match.

So I stand by my premise that Nadal has been blessed with a lucky draw after last year's USO farce. I just hope it rains the whole week and Nadal plays the next 2 matches in overcast conditions on slippery clay. If the sun comes out may as well hand him the trophy already. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

But Nadal will play Schwartzman and 1 out of Potro/Isner/Cilic/Fognini before the F....no other threat at all in his draw. I love Schwartzman's fighting spirit but he's a dwarf at the end of the day and Nadal's moonballs on Philippe Chatrier will bounce above the Argentinean's left shoulder. Even if he tries to rally from that wing he will eventually tire out...physics and biology conspire against him and will only be amplified on the 2nd slowest clay court (max bounce too !!!) on the planet. Diego has never beaten Nadal in 5 attempts (2 on clay) and won only one set in this year's AO (low bouncing speedy court). So even history is in Nadal's favor. In the semis he may be up against one of the giants who are all pretty nonthreatening on this surface but if it rains they make take a set. Hope he meets Fog in the semis, at least we'll be entertained either way.

In the other half you have 5 out of the 6 main contenders this year: Thiem, Zverev, Nole, Nishikori, Goffin. The betting odds HERE support my claim and bookmakers do extensive research before releasing the odds. They may not be at their best but they are the only remaining contenders, besides some of them can claim to have really challenged high level Nadal on clay. Nole may look subpar and has had a joke of a draw, I agree. But Nadal will prefer even higher ranked players than Nole who is his greatest rival on clay...you saw how nervous peak Nadal was against a shaky, unfit Djokovic in Rome last month, right? He is someone who can make Nadal under perform in PC because of his aura. Zverev still hasn't had that GS breakthrough but it's only a matter of time, he is destined to end up as an ATG and all ATGs starts somewhere. Thiem is atm the 2nd best clay courter but look at his draw (Tsitsipas-Nishikori-Zverev-Nole?-Nadal?). Even if he gets to the F he will be mentally and physically exhausted thus offering little resistance to the Spanish Bull. And we know how he follows up his big wins. If he beats Nole in SF, Nadal may beat him 6-0 6-2 6-1 in the F if the trend continues. Thiem mentally switches off after a big win and Nole will be a big scalp no matter what level he brings to the SF match.

So I stand by my premise that Nadal has been blessed with a lucky draw after last year's USO farce. I just hope it rains the whole week and Nadal plays the next 2 matches in overcast conditions on slippery clay. If the sun comes out may as well hand him the trophy already. 

As of now it's delpo cilic and schwartzman Left in his draw. Schwartzman might not win but he will definitely tire him out and grind to his level best. Nadal may not have ever lost to Diego but he has lost the match after he played Diego many times(eg.uso 15,ao 18,madrid 18). So there is a small chance he maybe exhausted after getting through. Now if he were to face delpo after that then I'd give del Porto a fighting chance. He has the height and the power to trouble nadal. Plus the conditions will get worse as per the forecast. Cilic has no chance if he comes through. He doesn't have the game to trouble nadal on Clay. If nadal reaches the final I hope it's either zverev or thiem. I don't want Nadal to win his 11th but I don't think Nole suddenly peaking in the final and winning his DCGS is better. He doesn't deserve that after his form the past year or two.

Edited by I6MTW

7 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

As of now it's delpo cilic and schwartzman Left in his draw. Schwartzman might not win but he will definitely tire him out and grind to his level best. Nadal may not have ever lost to Diego but he has lost the match after he played Diego many times(eg.uso 15,ao 18,madrid 18). So there is a small chance he maybe exhausted after getting through. Now if he were to face delpo after that then I'd give del Porto a fighting chance. He has the height and the power to trouble nadal. Plus the conditions will get worse as per the forecast. Cilic has no chance if he comes through. He doesn't have the game to trouble nadal on Clay.

Hope Diego tires him out, not very optimistic but I pray this happens. Delpo has 2 main problems, his movement on clay (as such he is a giraffe) and his BH against Nadal's top spin. I can see him troubling the King of Clay anywhere except on clay. 

BTW who are you supporting? Who is your favourite tennis player, favourite tournament....?  And do you follow WTA?

Edited by Gollum

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hope Diego tires him out, not very optimistic but I pray this happens. Delpo has 2 main problems, his movement on clay (as such he is a giraffe) and his BH against Nadal's top spin. I can see him troubling the King of Clay anywhere except on clay. 

BTW who are you supporting? Who is your favourite tennis player, favourite tournament....?  And do you follow WTA?

Which is why the overcast conditions and the wet muddy Clay will help against Nadals topspin.

In this tournament I'm supporting basically anyone except Nadal. Not a fan of djoker either. 

Favourite tennis player is federer. I do like a lot of other players but feds no 1 for me. Favourite Grand Slam is Wimbledon and Australian open.  Favourite masters is IW.

I do follow WTA but I feel it's become a joke in the recent years, theres no consistency and lack of quality has declined. 

2 hours ago, surajmal said:

Haters not liking god of clay dominating again? trolol. 

Nadals form is nowhere near his best. Hes dominating because of the depleted Clay field. Thiem is the only threat to him. This is not 2008 or 10 Nadal. Hell, this version of nadal isn't even better than 17 Nadal.

7 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Nadals form is nowhere near his best. Hes dominating because of the depleted Clay field. Thiem is the only threat to him. This is not 2008 or 10 Nadal. Hell, this version of nadal isn't even better than 17 Nadal.

2017 nadal, arguably, had the best grand slam tournament performance ('17 FO) of all time. He doesn't need to be anywhere near his best to win at RG. 

1 hour ago, surajmal said:

2017 nadal, arguably, had the best grand slam tournament performance ('17 FO) of all time. He doesn't need to be anywhere near his best to win at RG. 

Maybe in terms of sets dropped. But Nadal was never tested. His level in 08,10,and even 13 was much better.He insanely raised his level. The Clay competition is extremely weak last few years. So that's why nadal didn't need to be near his best last two years. These versions of Nadal are just feasting on this field.

So happy to see Djokovic get kicked out by a journey man. @bones and his ilk were running their mouths about how Djokovic is the BOAT when Federer lost matches to peak Djokovic as a 34-35 year old. Now a 31 year old Novak (same age as Fed in 2012 when he was still giving peak Djokovic bagels on HC) is getting routined by absolute journeymen. Karma!!!

5 hours ago, I6MTW said:

This is the level of Nadal this year. Losing a set to schwartzman. He might've lost the second as well if rain didn't come to save his ass.

He would have lost a lot more if he wasn't allowed 35-45 seconds between points. It is ridiculous how he gets away with time wasting even now and to a lesser extent, Djokovic. These grinders have been allowed to abuse the time rule for too long. In no other sport would such nonsense be tolerated.

2 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

He would have lost a lot more if he wasn't allowed 35-45 seconds between points. It is ridiculous how he gets away with time wasting even now and to a lesser extent, Djokovic. These grinders have been allowed to abuse the time rule for too long. In no other sport would such nonsense be tolerated.

In uso 18 they are going to enforce the 25 second rule. Let's see what happens there.