Indians dont derserve democracy !!!

velu

25 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

Authotarian Govt won't work in India because India has souch diversity.Imagine if Authotarian Govt has majority Hindi belt people then may South India or other non hindi speaking states may end up revolting

we need strong authoritiran leader like jayalalitha :cheer5:

Nah we're fine the way we are. We are a messy, flawed democracy but I don't really believe in messiahs in politics...change has to come from the bottom. Besides what will happen if a clown like RaGa becomes a despot one day....zaroori nahi hai ki authoritarian govt will comprise the best guys. Also factor in the diversity, we are a continent of 20 odd countries in many ways. 

People who say we don't deserve democracy, fail to see what democracy is and have zero knowledge of history.

Authoritarian regimes are like working in a diamond mine - most of the time its crap, its extremely exploitative, discrininatory and brutal, with the occasional trinket of diamond found.

For every Frederick the Great , authoritarian regimes generate a hundred Hitlers or Aurangzebs. 

The objective of democracy is not efficiency. The objective of democracy is to be mediocre - that way, the 1 in a 100 'good ruler' gets neutered and has mediocre results. And so does the 99 Hitlers, with humanity better off for it. 

American style pseudo democracy where your only choice is between red and blue will suit India better. Currently there are too many divisive forces and too many choices available, threatening stability. Also, another sad reality of the so called Democratic process in India is cash for votes. Even clean, good candidates who work hard to develop their constituency barely win or even lose elections because voters take money to vote for the opponent. I know it will never happen but a driver's license style civics test should be a prerequisite for issuing voter ID card. Giving it to junglees who will sell out to the highest bidder is a mockery of democracy.

Velu, why do you admire Putin so much ? He does sort of stand up to West/US and managed to win an election in United States, but is he the best leader for the people of Russia ? 

Russia has unlimited mineral wealth and had built a good educational & research base in former USSR, some of it was of course lost in recent decades. Shouldn't it be moving towards a high per capita income under good leadership as opposed to an oligarchy as it is currently ?

3 hours ago, Clarke said:

Velu, why do you admire Putin so much ? He does sort of stand up to West/US and managed to win an election in United States, but is he the best leader for the people of Russia ? 

Russia has unlimited mineral wealth and had built a good educational & research base in former USSR, some of it was of course lost in recent decades. Shouldn't it be moving towards a high per capita income under good leadership as opposed to an oligarchy as it is currently ?

I think i subconsciously admire strong people like jayalalitha , seshan , putin and to some extent trump as welL :))

I think russias per capita is close to 30k usd i guess.

19 hours ago, nevada said:

American style pseudo democracy where your only choice is between red and blue will suit India better. Currently there are too many divisive forces and too many choices available, threatening stability. Also, another sad reality of the so called Democratic process in India is cash for votes. Even clean, good candidates who work hard to develop their constituency barely win or even lose elections because voters take money to vote for the opponent. I know it will never happen but a driver's license style civics test should be a prerequisite for issuing voter ID card. Giving it to junglees who will sell out to the highest bidder is a mockery of democracy.

Err, its not about janglees, its about law and law & order enforcement. 
You think Canadian voters don't take money to vote for candidates because they are evolved/civilized/honest/nice ? NO.

Its because the election process here is tightly regulated and voters taking money to vote for you is fraud- not only the voter will get prosecuted (in reality, a heavy fine), you auto-disqualify from the election, cause huge party embarassment as a criminal and get booted.

Basically, its the 'nuke me' thing to do.

All this, facilitated by a quick, fast, well functioning and well paid judicial and police process.

India's legal workarounds and general goonda-giri will go down, not through moral crusades or education, but via law enforcement and functional legal system. I've been saying this for a long time- Indian voters need to start prioritizing law & order. It doesn't have to be #1 priority (and it won't be either in a developing nation), but acknowledging candidates/voting for them if you are a fence-sitter, just on this issue, etc). 

Indians think that they will get to be like the west/japan, etc. by developing the economy. It won't. It will get there only if there is a quick,fast, efficient judiciary and enforcement of law system. India already has the ingredients, being a secular democracy, it prevents the legal system being perverted to 'right/wrong = divinely dictated/asserted in eye of the law'. It just needs to spend money on it. Increase police salaries, increase the police force, better equipment for them (not just guns, but also transportation, choppers, etc) and expand the judiciary to 2-3x the current number over a period of 10 years. 

Without these things happening, India will never generate the confidence to be a true economic giant in the first place. 

All first world countries & modern superpowers have this in common: quick & efficient enforcement of the law. 

13 hours ago, velu said:

I think i subconsciously admire strong people like jayalalitha , seshan , putin and to some extent trump as welL :))

I think russias per capita is close to 30k usd i guess.

yeah, in PPP terms. But in real terms its close to 12K. Such huge disparity means Russians are cut out of the rest of the world's economy more or less in terms of consumers, as in real world terms (ie, outside their country, where PPP doesnt apply anymore), they only have 12K on average to play with.

Plus, Russia's problem is high end income inequality. We all know about the super-rich in societies, including India, but Russia's problems in this regard are acute. IIRC, their top 0.001% own like 20% of their economy. Thats an insane disparity, which is more or less the basis of their 'Russian oligarch' image. 

Russian masses are kept going by an insane distracting dosage of patriotism/nationalism yee-haw stuff general threat of total crushing at the hands of the government.