D’Arcy Short, Australia batsman, reveals he was close to ‘giving up cricket’

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/d-arcy-short-australia-batsman-reveals-he-was-close-to-giving-up-cricket/story-cUntlPzob7OHNGYmFGL1cK.html

Australia’s explosive batsman D’Arcy Short, who is set to partner Aaron Finch in the opening slot in absence of David Warner, revealed he was close to ‘giving it up’, a reference that he was almost quitting the game of cricket.

Short, who has recently finished his first Indian Premier League (IPL) season with the Rajasthan Royals (RR), is all set to make his ODI debut during Australia’s limited-overs tour of England. Australia are in England for a five-match ODI and a one-off T20I assignment, with the 50-over series starting June 13.

Short, who has played five T20Is for Australia so far, could be one of the members travelling back to England next year for the World Cup if he performs well.

However, the left-handed has revealed that he wanted to take a break from cricket for some time. “I was probably close to giving it up for a while. It’s been quite a whirlwind experience in the last 12 months,” Short was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.com.

Despite his feats back home and in the international arena, Short had a tough time in the IPL 2018 wherein he scored a mere 115 runs in seven matches.

Recalling his experience, the 27-year-old said, “The IPL experience was quite a different one for me, I struggled a little bit at the start — got run out twice which wasn’t the greatest start for me — but it was definitely a good experience in the end and hopefully I’ve learnt a lot from it.”

Short also hopes that his trial against spin in the IPL would help him to do better. “I faced a lot of spin over there so hopefully I can put that to use. Working on that and different parts of my game rather than being one-dimensional,” he said.

In what could be an advantage for Australia, Short revealed he has also worked on his leg-spin skills with the legendary Shane Warne, who was in-charge of the Rajasthan Royals’ side. “It’s come a long way in a short amount of time and I’m feeling pretty confident with it,” he said, a hint, perhaps, that it will be seen during the one-day series.

Short is from the NT in Australia and it's actually well known they produce the world's best athletes. I visited their once and found it to be more beautiful than most Pakistani places and definitely Indian places. 

Short actually reminds me a lot of a young Sehwag