What is hardest type of bowling you have faced in any cricket game?

I read an old Sachin interview yesterday where he said that he found facing steep bounce at 130 kph tougher than someone bowling 150 kph and is skiddy.

Since the common opinion is that the faster you bowl (with accuracy) the tougher it is for the batsman. I'd like to know from folks here who have played any level of competitive/hard ball cricket, what kind of bowling was hardest for you to face? How is facing spin, bounce, pace and lateral movement a different experience?

A couple of times I faced Shib Sankar Paul in the nets and by God was it tough. He might have been only 125-130 clicks but I found it super quick and add to that the movement he got in the air..even touching the ball was a stiff challenge. Also faced Ranadeb Bose but he was bowling well within his limits..more like a warm up session for him. Among spinners I found Saurasish Lahiri the toughest, big spinner of the cricket ball and very difficult to play from the meat of the bat. Shibsagar Singh was playable but his balls were heavy, got hit in my ribs once while trying to sweep and it was sore for a week . The fastest/scariest I faced was Sayan Sekhar Mondal but later he became more of a batsman. 

Lots of respect for international cricketers, batting against that quality is very very tough. Coming to OP's question beyond a certain level every type of bowling is hard..pace, swing, bounce, spin everything. 

Edited by Gollum
13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

A couple of times I faced Shib Sankar Paul in the nets and by God was it tough. He might have been only 125-130 clicks but I found it super quick and add to that the movement he got in the air..even touching the ball was a stiff challenge. Also faced Ranadeb Bose but he was bowling well within his limits..more like a warm up session for him. Among spinners I found Saurasish Lahiri the toughest, big spinner of the cricket ball and very difficult to play from the meat of the bat. Shibsagar Singh was playable but his balls were heavy, got hit in my ribs once while trying to sweep and it was sore for a week . The fastest/scariest I faced was Sayan Sekhar Mondal but later he became more of a batsman. 

Lots of respect for international cricketers, batting against that quality is very very tough. Coming to OP's question beyond a certain level every type of bowling is hard..pace, swing, bounce, spin everything. 

Gollum that's a long answer for one word ....bowling .....hehehe 

Spin bowling or slow bowling has been the biggest the pain. It happens a lot that you are playing club cricket with one of those bats which is well knocked barring that one place of the bat where you did not hammer well and you end up trying to slog or hit a six to a full delivery, you get caught because the ball didn’t travel far enough because of your shyt bat or that you did not hammer it well. 

Spinners are so enticing hence they get most wickets. You just want to murder them. Kudos to the patience of guys like Dravid or Pujara.

45 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Gollum that's a long answer for one word ....bowling .....hehehe 

Yup more than type of bowling it is the quality that is the clinching factor. If the batsmen isn't good enough for a certain level, he will struggle against every kind of bowling. When I played in the CAB nets in Eden I was 14-15 years old and woefully out of depth. In the CAB junior matches I found SLA toughest to negotiate and the quicks were generally ordinary. 

I used to feast on bad line and length. My favorites were the bowlers who banged short at a very good pace. The Kashmir willow and English willow enjoyed pace on bat. Hook shot was one of my best and I liked pacers who bowled it quick and short. Nice buffet bowling.

Pace on leg stump was also something to feast upon. Just get bat on ball and the runs were there for taking.

The toughest shot against pacers was square cut. That was because the off stump line brings keeper , slips and point into play as well. Once I struggled to get bat trying to play square cut. He was an experienced pace bowler and his line was immaculate. Bowled a lot of McGrath type deliveries. Being a 40 overs match I was trying to score runs, but didn't succeed in that over. Apart from that over I enjoyed batting against pacers.

The spinners who could turn it both ways were the toughest to hit. I would concentrate more  while facing those bowlers.

Edited by Straight Drive
3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hardest bowling answer may vary but hardest position for catching will be unanimous...slip/gully cordon, ridiculous how tough it is taking those catches that international cricketers (except present maharathis of Team India ofc) make look so easy !!!!

I never fielded in slip in hard ball cricket. Square leg, covers , mid off, point were my most common fielding positions.

Fielding was something I enjoyed. I used the rebound ratchet a lot for fielding practice which our club had got after almost a decade !! It's great innovation in sports accessories. 

5 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Spin bowling or slow bowling has been the biggest the pain. It happens a lot that you are playing club cricket with one of those bats which is well knocked barring that one place of the bat where you did not hammer well and you end up trying to slog or hit a six to a full delivery, you get caught because the ball didn’t travel far enough because of your shyt bat or that you did not hammer it well. 

Spinners are so enticing hence they get most wickets. You just want to murder them. Kudos to the patience of guys like Dravid or Pujara.

Strangely I have seen that most English batsmen are overly cautious against spin, which is also the reason why they couldn't play Warne.

You mentioned Dravid and Pujara who are great against spin, I think of someone like Lara who dominated spin with ease. Must be an instinctive or 'in the zone' thing for Lara.

Shib Shankar Paul has a coaching academy in my neighbourhood.
Lmaoo

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Yup more than type of bowling it is the quality that is the clinching factor. If the batsmen isn't good enough for a certain level, he will struggle against every kind of bowling. When I played in the CAB nets in Eden I was 14-15 years old and woefully out of depth. In the CAB junior matches I found SLA toughest to negotiate and the quicks were generally ordinary. 
Why did you leave Professional Cricket?

8 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Why did you leave Professional Cricket?

Started having chronic pain in my right shoulder which affected my leg spin abilities....I wasn't good enough as a pure batsman and had to rely on my all round abilities to have a shot. I don't regret my decision one bit. My academics was saved because of that decision. I still have contacts with some of my friends though, I value the friendship and experience more than anything.

Edited by Gollum

Left arm seamer slanting across. I just could not get in line at all. I couldn't play through off side. Especially if he lands in specific areas i found it very difficult even to connect in the beginning. One reason is i hardly faced any left arm seamers. When i was up against first left arm seamer i was fish out of water.

4 hours ago, MechEng said:

Strangely I have seen that most English batsmen are overly cautious against spin, which is also the reason why they couldn't play Warne.

You mentioned Dravid and Pujara who are great against spin, I think of someone like Lara who dominated spin with ease. Must be an instinctive or 'in the zone' thing for Lara.

Lara was a special. I mentioned Pujara and Dravid for their patience since I am absolutely impatient against spin. Lara was just class apart on how to score freely against top spin bowlers. He did not have to  play it safe against spin because he had so much time and technique to put the ball away to the boundary safely. What a player he was.