Is qualification for 2026 WC a realistic goal?

surajmal

From Asia, total 8 teams are allowed as recommended by FIFA committee for WC 2026. For reaching that target, lot of efforts should be put in our youth team but the results have been utterly disappointing till now. I'm afraid teams like Iraq, Uzbekistan , Kyrgyzstan, Oman, etc would be licking their lips presented with this opportunity. 

Even Syria, Lebanon, UAE are ahead of us for now in the rankings, let's not even talk about the Asian heavyweights who regularly school us.

India will only qualify when it hosts the World Cup which could happen within the next couple of decades as FIFA is keen to milk the economic potential of India.  

After the expansion of World cup to 48 teams,  8 Spots will on grabs for the Asian teams to qualify. Australia,  South Korea, Japan and Iran will take 4 of those spots while favorites for remaining spots will be North Korea,  Saudi Arabia,  UAE, Kuwait,  Iraq,  China,  Syria,  Uzbekistan, Thailand, Qatar, Jordan,  Lebanon,  Oman .  

India doesn't even qualify for the Final Qualification round of Asian Qualifiers and suddenly in the next 8 years  you expect  they will qualify  for the final qualifiers and eventually the WC?  No such miracle is going to happen. 

India is barely able to beat small Nations liKe Myanmar. 

Edited by rageaddict

India has qualified for next years Asian Cup 2019  ( thanks to number of participating teams increased from 16 to 24 ) which will help evaluate the true standing of Indian Team in Asian Rankings. 

All the recent hype regarding Indian Football is due to setting up matches with Minnow Nations and beat their C teams. 

Edited by rageaddict

India has qualified for next years Asian Cup 2019  ( thanks to number of participating teams increased from 16 to 24 ) which will help evaluate the true standing of Indian Team in Asian Rankings. 

All the recent hype regarding Indian Football is due to setting up matches with Minnow Nations and beat their C teams. 
Please appreciate their hardwork

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

We would need to a lot of infrastructural upheaval before that.First of all need to introduce proper grass loot level coaching to kids from the age of five itself.Our kids take up football coaching pretty late compared to other nations.

Next would be proper infrastructure.I am from Kerala and even in a such a soccer crazy state, you can count the quality football stadiums with your fingers.

Next would be proper age group leagues played at a time suitable time of the day not at noon in hot Indian sun which is evne followed in our I league.

We should also attract quality POI players also to our team as the exposure they have got would serve us good in matches against better opponents.

Even with all this, I would foresee some 25 years from now on for us to make a WC because such is the competiton and so low is our current standard.

4 hours ago, Cricket_Fan said:

We would need to a lot of infrastructural upheaval before that.First of all need to introduce proper grass loot level coaching to kids from the age of five itself.Our kids take up football coaching pretty late compared to other nations.

Next would be proper infrastructure.I am from Kerala and even in a such a soccer crazy state, you can count the quality football stadiums with your fingers.

Next would be proper age group leagues played at a time suitable time of the day not at noon in hot Indian sun which is evne followed in our I league.

We should also attract quality POI players also to our team as the exposure they have got would serve us good in matches against better opponents.

Even with all this, I would foresee some 25 years from now on for us to make a WC because such is the competiton and so low is our current standard.

Saudi are ranked 30 ahead of us, we just need to beat them or Australia to qualify. Iceland with a population to fill 4 eden gardens is at WC with the kind of private focus we should take rapid strides. 

Edited by jf1gp_1

37 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Saudi are ranked 30 ahead of us, we just need to beat them or Australia to qualify. Iceland with a population to fill 4 eden gardens is at WC with the kind of private focus we should take rapid strides. 

Football is a physical game and an average icelander is much physically ahead than an average Indian and their food is much better for sports than ours.

.Without systematic coaching and leagues, we aint beating nobody in Football.

Edited by Cricket_Fan

17 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Football is a physical game and an average icelander is much physically ahead than an average Indian and their food is much better for sports than ours.

.Without systematic coaching and leagues, we aint beating nobody in Football.

See identifying talent, coaching from grassroot level and building better infra/ league i am with you without those in place we arent going anywhere but we are talking about qualifying not winning the whole thing that i know is not happening.

I do however disagree on the whole physical part. I have a colleague from your state b@stard is 6'4" built for NFL and hey Messi is 5'7" even neymar is 5'9". We are 130cr am sure 30 of them can play as well as those two, question is how to find them and train them.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:18 AM, jf1gp_1 said:

See identifying talent, coaching from grassroot level and building better infra/ league i am with you without those in place we arent going anywhere but we are talking about qualifying not winning the whole thing that i know is not happening.

I do however disagree on the whole physical part. I have a colleague from your state b@stard is 6'4" built for NFL and hey Messi is 5'7" even neymar is 5'9". We are 130cr am sure 30 of them can play as well as those two, question is how to find them and train them.

Height doesnt mean that you have the same physical quality as a European or African.I played soccer both in Kerala and weekend leagues here in USA with other nationalities.You can clearly see the phyiscial difference .

And even to qualify WC we still need to beat strong Asian teams including Australia for which all those grassroot coaching and leagues come into play.

Edited by Cricket_Fan

3 hours ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Height doesnt mean that you have the same physical quality as a European or African.I played soccer both in Kerala and weekend leagues here in USA with other nationalities.You can clearly see the phyiscial difference .

And even to qualify WC we still need to beat strong Asian teams including Australia for which all those grassroot coaching and leagues come into play.

japan and korean players are not built like tanks. heck even the nigerians in this WC dont look overtly strong. it has more to do with lack of interest among Indians regarding actually playing soccer and preparing your body for that challenge.  when it comes to supporting european clubs, the same idiots will scream from the rooftops. its not about capability but just that indians in general are lazy when it comes to physical activity, unless you live in rural areas. those poor chaps have more important things to do in their life than waste it for a foreign game. 

9 hours ago, Cricket_Fan said:

You can not extrapolate your personal stature to all Indians. I thinking difference is skill and fitness. 

8 hours ago, Vilander said:

You can not extrapolate your personal stature to all Indians. I thinking difference is skill and fitness. 

How much Indian football have you watched? I have been following from 90's and can identify all the Indian players by names without googling.And I know what I am talking about.If skill and fitness is the only difference, then why do you think players from African countries who are even poorer than us are sought after in Indian leagues and also all over the world.

14 hours ago, FischerTal said:

japan and korean players are not built like tanks. heck even the nigerians in this WC dont look overtly strong. it has more to do with lack of interest among Indians regarding actually playing soccer and preparing your body for that challenge.  when it comes to supporting european clubs, the same idiots will scream from the rooftops. its not about capability but just that indians in general are lazy when it comes to physical activity, unless you live in rural areas. those poor chaps have more important things to do in their life than waste it for a foreign game. 

Footballers have lean bodies.By physical attributes, what I meant was the speed and stamina to play 90 mins with equal intensity.I don't know how much Indian football have you watched, but if you have, you would know that they struggle to maintain the same intensity in the second half.

And Koreans,Japanese and even Chinese are bigger than us on average.You can google their and our average heights.And Koreans and Japanese are better than us in most physical sports.

2 hours ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Footballers have lean bodies.By physical attributes, what I meant was the speed and stamina to play 90 mins with equal intensity.I don't know how much Indian football have you watched, but if you have, you would know that they struggle to maintain the same intensity in the second half.

And Koreans,Japanese and even Chinese are bigger than us on average.You can google their and our average heights.And Koreans and Japanese are better than us in most physical sports.

you are making a lot of statements without any proof. koreans, japanese are bigger than us LOL. as somebody who has lived in California most of his life, i have to completely disagree with this statement. koreans and japanese better than us in most physical sports.......  they both are tiny nations that have better coaching,infrastructure and international exposure so maybe they are better but that doesn't have anything to do with their ability but more to do with a longer history of investing in their sports. 

as far as speed and stamina is concerned, everyone loses steam in the second half. this is an universal truth. to call out one nation for that doesn't make sense. you are basically just saying that they need more endurance training, which is not a far-fetched task. 

56 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

you are making a lot of statements without any proof. koreans, japanese are bigger than us LOL. as somebody who has lived in California most of his life, i have to completely disagree with this statement. koreans and japanese better than us in most physical sports.......  they both are tiny nations that have better coaching,infrastructure and international exposure so maybe they are better but that doesn't have anything to do with their ability but more to do with a longer history of investing in their sports

I also lived in California and I can clearly say that Japanese and Koreans are bigger than Indians.You must have hanged out only with Desis.There are Japanese and Korean origin players in NFL and NBA.Where are the Indian Americans? All the so-called Indian orgin players have mixed ancestry.Now both of our communities are of the same economic status and also have parents who focus more on studies.So no excuses for Indians not making into physical sports other than sheer physical inability visa vis Japanese and Koreans.We only had some slow big leviathans in NBA just for the sake of Indian market but not on merit and they failed miserably.

And you can compare Indian,Japanese and Korean average heights below  and see for yourselves who is bigger:

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/height-chart.php

as far as speed and stamina is concerned, everyone loses steam in the second half. this is an universal truth. to call out one nation for that doesn't make sense. you are basically just saying that they need more endurance training, which is not a far-fetched task. 

Lol. Now I can clearly say you dont follow much football.If you say Sandesh Jingan plays with the same intensity as Sergio Ramos in second half, then people who follow football will laugh in your face. You can see the proof of that in the ongoing Champions trophy Hockey.Watch the matches between Australia and Belgium and watch ours with Pakistan.Our fortunes really raised  in hockey because of the new 15 min quarters and unlimited substitutions as those will keep our boys fresh. 

Edited by Cricket_Fan

1 hour ago, Cricket_Fan said:

I also lived in California and I can clearly say that Japanese and Koreans are bigger than Indians.You must have hanged out only with Desis.There are Japanese and Korean origin players in NFL and NBA.Where are the Indian Americans? All the so-called Indian orgin players have mixed ancestry.Now both of our communities are of the same economic status and also have parents who focus more on studies.So no excuses for Indians not making into physical sports other than sheer physical inability visa vis Japanese and Koreans.We only had some slow big leviathans in NBA just for the sake of Indian market but not on merit and they failed miserably.

And you can compare Indian,Japanese and Korean average heights below  and see for yourselves who is bigger:

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculators-charts/height-chart.php

Lol. Now I can clearly say you dont follow much football.If you say Sandesh Jingan plays with the same intensity as Sergio Ramos in second half, then people who follow football will laugh in your face. You can see the proof of that in the ongoing Champions trophy Hockey.Watch the matches between Australia and Belgium and watch ours with Pakistan.Our fortunes really raised  in hockey because of the new 15 min quarters and unlimited substitutions as those will keep our boys fresh. 

lol you are comparing sandesh jingran with one of the greatest defenders of our time. nice try. that would be like me comparing the batting prowess of some obscure spanish batsman with rahul dravid or virender sehwag. 

i went to an all-asian high school in california so i know fairly well about those communities. your statements contradict reality. again you keep comparing height averages of  Indians with other nations but you dont know how diverse indians are. Jats,Rajputs, Punjabis. are much taller than lets say people from the north-east or even people from down South, so the average is not an indicator of how tall Indians are. It should also be mentioned that none of those communities  give a flying crap about football.

as far as economic status goes, i was talking about poor indians living in rural areas who engage in physical labor everyday of their life. unless you have been to the villages, you won't know how bloody strong those people are, but they dont have time to engage in sports because they have much more pressing needs in their life. i never even talked about NRIs. anyway, what you said about NRIs completely validates my point. Desis are lazy *ers who dont want to engage in physical activity if we have a comfortable life. plus Japanese, Korean players in the NFL... please 1 or 2 players here or there that just spends time sitting on the bench doesn't prove anything. 

Edited by FischerTal