Dinesh Karthik as backup keeper in tests

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He should be back up keeper in Eng but I hope Saha is fit for all 5 matches. Another idea is if our top 3 struggle badly in the 1st 2 tests he may be slotted in as a pure batsman. 

I would actually be tempted to open with Karthik and Vijay, he can't do any bad than Dhawan. Infact him being a solid opener was the reason we won 1-0 in England (in 2007?)

Get Rahul at 3 and make Pujara sit out for a few matches if he doesn't perform.

Edited by Forever Indian
4 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

I would actually be tempted to open with Karthik and Vijay, he can't do any bad than Dhawan. Infact him being a solid opener was the reason we won 1-0 in England (in 2007?)

You want Karthik right from the 1st test or will you give Dhawan/Vijay a couple of matches upfront knowing that the conditions will be somewhat easier in late summer? Karthik was outstanding in 2007 agree and seems to have turned a corner, even I have some hopes from this perennial underachiever. But if he bats as opener he can't be keeper, so in case Saha is injured what do we do? 

I think Rahul at no 3 is a good idea, Pujara is just abysmal in SENA countries and he has been given enough chances methinks. How nice it would be if we can have 'horses for courses' policy for our batsmen too- Pujara in Asia and Rahane outside Asia. But knowing the team management they will do the opposite. 

3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Now that Saha has been ruled out of Afghanistan test, DK has replaced Parthiv as backup keeper. 

Is this right decision or we needed to try someone new?

credit where its due DK has earned it

Kishen technique looked dodgy in t20 only, when he was getting bowled in similar way..........

Samson just failed a yo-yo test and doesnt keep wkts for huge part of ranji season

Pant didnt have a good season, n didnt do himself any favour in watever lil chances he got for india

Atleast in Dk they have reliable batsman , in saha they have reliable keeper.  They wudnt go with unknown commodities at this point when overseas tours are coming 

2 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

there will be Fauda on the field  then cricket.:fight:

Edited by raki05
2 hours ago, Gollum said:

You want Karthik right from the 1st test or will you give Dhawan/Vijay a couple of matches upfront knowing that the conditions will be somewhat easier in late summer? Karthik was outstanding in 2007 agree and seems to have turned a corner, even I have some hopes from this perennial underachiever. But if he bats as opener he can't be keeper, so in case Saha is injured what do we do? 

I think Rahul at no 3 is a good idea, Pujara is just abysmal in SENA countries and he has been given enough chances methinks. How nice it would be if we can have 'horses for courses' policy for our batsmen too- Pujara in Asia and Rahane outside Asia. But knowing the team management they will do the opposite. 

Honestly I just don't trust Dhawan as a test opener in England as the new ball will do something regardless of how late in the season we play. So would go with Karthik right from outset if Saha is fit to play. If Saha gets injured we should play the original lineup with Rahul opening and Pujara or Dhawan at 3.