Sanju Samson fails yo-yo test, ruled out of India A’s England tour

Sanju Samson’s career has taken another twist after he got ruled out of India ‘A’ tour of England on Sunday (June 10). Samson failed to clear the Yo-Yo endurance Test and consequently the BCCI announced that the Kerala batsman cannot travel to England.

As per a report published in the Mumbai Mirror on Monday (June 11), Sanju Samson's score in the Yo-Yo test was way short of the prescribed 16.1 benchmark. The India ‘A’ side led by Shreyas Iyer heads off to London from Delhi on Sunday, but Samson was left behind owing to the unsatisfactory score in Yo-Yo test.

Samson had a stellar IPL 2018 campaign for Rajasthan Royals, scoring 441 runs from 15 innings and was the second highest run-getter for the Rajasthan Royals after Jos Buttler (548 runs in 13 innings).

Sanju was part of the 16-men India ‘A’ squad which will take part in a triangular series involving hosts England Lions and West Indies 'A'. The ODI tri-series will commence on June 22, while India ‘A’ will play two warm-up games against Yorkshire and Leicestershire on June 17 and June 19 respectively.

Subsequently, India 'A' will feature in a four-day game against England ‘A’ from July 16 at Worcester besides a couple of three-day games against county sides. Samson was not picked for the four-day matches. Karun Nair will lead the India ‘A’ Test side and the designated wicketkeeper in that squad is KS Bharat.

Link - https://circleofcricket.com/category/Latest_news/22690/young-india-player-fails-yo-yo-test-ruled-out-of-india-as-england-tour

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
21 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He looked very athletic in IPL, took a great catch as well IIRC. I think yo-yo mainly tests endurance, that is why Ashwin and some of the quicks score well. 

Even then these guys shouldn't be failing endurance test. If this is the case when they are young and growing what will happen in 30 if they don't improve now.

26 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Even then these guys shouldn't be failing endurance test. If this is the case when they are young and growing what will happen in 30 if they don't improve now.

I am not sure but I remember reading a tennis article which suggested that endurance peaks at a later age, at >25 years IIRC. Incidentally throughout cricket history we have seen that test quicks peak at the age of 26-30 and fast bowling in 5 day format is the ultimate test of endurance. 

Edited by Gollum
32 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am not sure but I remember reading a tennis article which suggested that endurance peaks at a later age, at >25 years IIRC. Incidentally throughout cricket history we have seen that test quicks peak at the age of 26-30 and fast bowling in 5 day format is the ultimate test of endurance. 

IIRC cut off score is lower for Indian team

Seriously this Yo-yo crap is not fit for purpose in Cricket. I would rather have a test which scores how many slip catches one is able to take, will be more fit for purpose in actually improving something in team.

If we are saying young guys (teens and early 20s) can't score as much because of age, how is it a fair test? The test needs to have a different score requirement dependant on age if it is to make any sense. Otherwise it will be only a tool used to keep youngsters out of senior team.

Edited by Forever Indian
37 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Will Sachin Tendulkar Clear Yo-Yo test in his prime?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

he might have topped it among his peers ..

in my observation guys who score more in yo-yo are super fast in running between the wickets , kohli , dhoni , pandeyji etc

49 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

What makes you think so?

They would have cleared yo yo test easily. Required score is 16 and not 20.

raina has failed, he was one the fittest guys

they werent atheletic , least of ganguly n laxman and even sehwag

Their diet wasnt gr8 . For bowlers this test is easy so nehra,ashwin clears it but for batsman its a lil difficult. 

always felt with them had they had the fitness of kohli they wud have taken their game to another level. 

50 minutes ago, velu said:

he might have topped it among his peers ..

in my observation guys who score more in yo-yo are super fast in running between the wickets , kohli , dhoni , pandeyji etc

yup tendulkar was good runnning between wkts but so was raina 

Just feel even tendulkar wudnt have cleared 16 

35 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yup tendulkar was good runnning between wkts but so was raina 

Just feel even tendulkar wudnt have cleared 16 

You are saying as if 16 is something with very few can do. 

16 is easy and that's why only 1-2 fail. You will surprised how many athletes clear 16 even at lower level.

38 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

raina has failed, he was one the fittest guys

they werent atheletic , least of ganguly n laxman and even sehwag

Their diet wasnt gr8 . For bowlers this test is easy so nehra,ashwin clears it but for batsman its a lil difficult. 

always felt with them had they had the fitness of kohli they wud have taken their game to another level. 

What extra could they achieve with fitness of Kohli? Better ground Fielding?

They were better catcher than Kohli.

13 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Their is no end to achievement. They as a team cud have achieved more and none better examples then aussies. A team full of 30+ and were so good on field. They did really well in their career doesnt mean they cudnt have done more. M not blaming them it was not in our culture but thats what seprated australia, south africa from us

ground fielding, better running (not incase of tendulkar)

Sehwag wud have had few more yrs in his career

Ganguly in his last yrs faced the problem of dip in s/r which dhoni is also facing but he is a gr8 runner so somehow finds his way out

Ofcourse they were better catcher, but their is another thing called ground fielding . 

17 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

i knw thats not a high benchmark, but tendulkar was not into to much fitness so i doubt he wud have cleared 16 to and others like sehwag , laxman, ganguly wudnt havent for sure